Some Things Are Scary (No Matter How Old You…

Some Things Are Scary (No Matter How Old You Are) (2000)

by Florence Parry Heide

You’re skating downhill, but you don’t know how to stop. You’re having your hair cut, and you suddenly realize . . . they’re cutting it too short. There’s no question about it: some things are scary. And never have common bugaboos been exposed with more comic urgency than in this masterful mix of things horrible and humiliating, monstrous or merely unsettling. Now in a compact edition with a new cover - and a bookplate that lets gift-givers specify the occasion - Florence Parry Heide’s witty text and Jules Feiffer’s over-the-top illustrations will get even the most anxious recipients laughing, while reassuring them (no matter how old they are) that they’re not alone in their fears (amazon).
  AmyStepaniuk | Aug 31, 2015 |
This is a childhood book. The pages are falling out. The illustrations are sketchy and the colour palette is limited. Yet there's something magical about this book. The limited colour palette is the blues of nightmares. The sketchy, rough-hewn sketches are full of expression and movement. The text is a perfect mixture of humour and pathos. Children and adult co-readers alike will identify with the scary situations presented within. ( )
  LynleyS | Sep 4, 2014 |
This book is about all sorts of things that we may find scary. Some are funny while others are things that we actually really worry about.
  kelseyo | Oct 14, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book a lot! My first thoughts were, "wow this book has a lot of silly fears in it" then I started thinking a little bit about fear. What I concluded is that fears ARE silly. Fears are something that we construct in our own heads, and they hold people back from taking risks. I know a lot of people that are afraid of trying new things and I find that to be the silliest fear of them all. I liked that this book guided me down that train of thought as I read it. The one legitimate fear I share with the narrator is the fear of growing up! I'm not necessarily afraid of becoming an adult, but it makes me nervous. The day that I can't act like a child anymore and get away with it will be a strange day. I wish that the book talked a little bit about overcoming fears, but that wasn't really necessary. This would be a great book to read to a class that is discussing fears at any level. ( )
  hreilly | Mar 5, 2013 |
The story shows all the things a child may find scary. Like being picked last or not finding your parents but most of all growing up is scary. It accurately describes all the things a child would be scared of but does not give a resolution. Maybe the author wanted to show that some things are scary and that's it. But I rather teach children to not be afraid. ( )
  kmunsey | Feb 19, 2013 |
For Lydia, Abigail, and Margaret Huck - FPH
For Emma Horne - JF
Getting hugged by someone you don't like is scary.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655902, Paperback)

When cartoonist Jules Feiffer was little, he thought parents were scary. Florence Parry Heide's main fear was that she'd never learn how to be a real life grownup. (She never did, she says.) So, years later, these two star creators of children's books have teamed up to confront the things that go bump in the night (or day) in the splendid picture book Some Things Are Scary. This litany of frightfully familiar scenarios, brilliantly illustrated with Feiffer's scritchy, expressive cartoons, ranges from stepping on something squishy when you're in your bare feet to getting a shot to discovering that your hamster cage is empty. The encompassing fleshy arms of the woman in the depiction of "getting hugged by someone you don't like is scary" are positively smothering to behold. The rapidly moving arms (all seven of them) of the boy in "telling a lie is scary" image perfectly evokes the scittery discomfort of fibbing. Feiffer's distorted perspectives on the things that "loom large" capture a range of human emotion with his usual deftness. Kids will commiserate with the saucer-eyed boy as he skates out of control, is afraid he won't be picked for either team, or gets stuck high in a tree. And maybe things won't be so scary next time. (Ages 3 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:02 -0400)

A list of scary things includes "roller skating down hill when you haven't learned how to stop, getting hugged by somebody you don't like, and finding out your best friend has a best friend who isn't you."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,710,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible