Monkey Portraits by Jill Greenberg

Monkey Portraits

by Jill Greenberg

I suppose it's a stretch to say that I read this book today. It's mostly pictures, and even so, I skipped the intro. I was having a bad day. At first the monkeys really cheered me up but then I found myself weirdly fixated on how shampooed they were. Some appeared to be wearing moisturizer. They were posed under bright lights in a grey room. Maybe monkeys don't mind any of that, but it made me feel strange and sad. ( )
  paperloverevolution | Mar 30, 2013 |
The photograph entitled "Monkey suit" is really the highlight of this book for me. The quote goes "Whenever you observe an animal closely, you feel as if a human being sitting inside were making fun of you." The animal in the photo is so human it's captivating. I love sharing this book with guests, I always keep it on the coffee table when we have visitors. ( )
  arielleloy | Oct 2, 2011 |
This is such a wonderful collection. Exceptional photographs of such expressive monkeys, you can literally see what they are thinking. It makes a great coffee table book or a gift for someone who either loves photography or animals or both. Even if you like neither, you'll be impressed. These are exceptional! ( )
  amf0001 | Apr 7, 2008 |
I bought this as a gag gift for someone else, but I was so taken by the personalities of the monkeys in the book that I had to keep it for myself. Greenberg photographs a series of monkeys, paying close attention to their facial expressions, attitudes and postures, to show just how human they are. ( )
  paghababian | Dec 27, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0821257552, Hardcover)

Book Description:
We share about 98 percent of our DNA with chimpanzees, our closest biological cousins. And never have the similarities between simians and humans been so amusingly and brilliantly captured as in Monkey Portratis. Jill Greenberg has spent 15 years photographing celebrities--from Clint Eastwood to Drew Barrymore--for leading publications, but has recently focused on actors of a different sort. She has been photographing monkeys and apes, many of whom have appeared on film or in television shows. Her intimate portraits of these animals convey a startling range of emotions and personalities, and evoke an almost eerie sense of recognition. Each of these 76 amazingly anthropomorphic photographs will remind you of someone you know. These monkeys in all their glory will cause you to laugh out loud and to wonder just how different we truly are.

Monkey Business

Dax

Pumpkin

Mala

Dax [Exclusive Outtake]

Dax [Exclusive Outtake]

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:13 -0400)

A fascinating, funny, and all-too-human collection of monkey and ape portraits.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,560,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible