Comet, Revised by Carl Sagan

Comet, Revised (edition 1997)

by Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan

Member:LoreleiOrion
Title:Comet, Revised
Authors:Carl Sagan
Other authors:Ann Druyan
Info:Ballantine Books (1997), Paperback, 432 pages

Comet by Carl Sagan

Recently added byRadtosan, private library, Maratona, jzents, sgerbic, leesh_rowly, jons0813, tlwright, hplustime, anjenue

I purchased this book more than once. I bought the book before Halley's Comet returned in 1986. February in Portland is perhaps the worst place and time to comet watch and I was greatly disappointed. It took me until 2018 to read this book and it was more fascinating than I can imagine. I will give copies of these books to my sons. Hopefully they will read it before 2061. Much of the informational is historical so it will still have relevance. It should be fun to see how far astronomy will have advanced by then.
  StephenScience | Aug 25, 2018 |
I love the last two chapters which as every other books of Carl Sagan left me with something to ponder and reflect. I enjoyed the stories in the first few chapters especially the work of Halley. There are many new things in the middle chapters that I didn't know in details so I like the fact that I learnt new things here and there but some sections are a bit long and dry. I have stopped in the middle for a few months and resumed reading it when I ran out of book to read. I'm glad I finished it since there are interesting things amidst the dry information until the end. ( )
  chrysedonia | Apr 26, 2018 |
COMET begins with a breathtaking ride through space astride a comet. The authors show how comets have spurred some of the great discoveries in the history of science, and raise intriguing questions about these brilliant visitors from the interstellar dark. Lavishly illustrated with over 300 photographs and specially commissioned full-colour illustrations. COMET is an enthralling adventure, indispensable for anyone who has ever gazed up at the heavens and wondered why.
  paamember | Jan 13, 2016 |
Well, that took a long time to read! Learned a lot of stuff I promptly forgot again (just like in school!). It was especially interesting to compare a scientist's hopes for the future from decades ago to what has actually developed. Interesting, and depressing and sad. But also very cool in a lot of ways. ( )
  aketzle | Dec 4, 2012 |

Carl Saganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Druyan, AnnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Druyan, AnnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Aulicino, RobertJacket designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lomberg, JonJacket illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shirley Arden, for more than a decade of friendship and hard work well done. With our love and admiration.
Before the Earth was formed, there were comets here.

WHAT ARE THESE GRACEFUL VISITORS TO OUR SKIES? WE NOW KNOW THAT THEY BRING BOTH LIFE AND DEATH AND TEACH US ABOUT OUR ORIGINS.

Comet begins with a breathtaking journey through space astride a comet. Pulitzer Prize-winning astronomer Carl Sagan, author of Cosmos and Contact, and writer Ann Druyan explore the origin, nature, and future of comets, and the exotic myths and portents attached to them. The authors show how comets have spurred some of the great discoveries in the history of science and raise intriguing questions about these brilliant visitors from the interstellar dark.

Were the fates of the dinosaurs and the origins of humans tied to the wanderings of a comet? Are comets the building blocks from which worlds are formed?

Lavishly illustrated with photographs and specially commissioned full-color paintings, Comet is an enthralling adventure, indispensable for anyone who has ever gazed up at the heavens and wondered why.

"SIMPLY THE BEST."

*The Times of London

"FASCINATING, EVOCATIVE, INSPIRING."

*The Washington Post

"COMET HUMANIZES SCIENCE. A BEAUTIFUL, INTERESTING BOOK."

*United Press International

"MASTERFUL . . . SCIENCE, POETRY, AND IMAGINATION."

*The Atlanta Journal & Constitution

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

Explores the fascinating realm of comets answering questions raised by their appearance and delving into the superstitions surrounding them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,810,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible