Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten

Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror (1997)

by Steve Alten

Series: Meg (book 1)

Jaws by Peter Benchley (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another novel of people battling a man-eating shark.
    Extinct by Charles Wilson (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another novel about a resurrected megalodon shark on a rampage.
    Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (Hedgepeth)
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (wordcauldron)

English (30)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
The book blurb sounded quite interesting and the first few chapters where not too bad. The it went downhill as fast as you can say deep water trench.

What I expected to be a pre-historic shark horror-thriller turned out to be a soap opera filled with thoroughly unlikable people mostly spending their time promoting their own careers, cheating, bad mouthing, scheming, backstabbing and any other unpleasant activity you can think of.

The story started as a semi-plausible story where Megalodons might still exist in deep water trenches but then became less and less plausible the further into the book I came and the Homo Sapiens at their worst took over the scene. Sure the book is liberally sprinkled with more or less gory appearances of the Megalodon but towards the end of the book I was pretty much only hoping that she would eat some of the assholes in the book and be done with it.

When reading the book I thought that this story would be just the kind of poor story that Syfy channel would slap some equally poor special effects on and then release with a silly title like UltraMegaDinoShark or something. It was not until I was writing this review that I took a closer look at the cover photo, saw the text under the title and realized that someone at Warner Bros actually seem to have decided to make a movie out of it. When I looked it up at IMDb I was rather shocked to see that they seem to have Jason Statham cast in the lead role.

Well, I hope the special effects will be good at least because the story is fairly abysmal.

The book is not bad enough to get a single star rating but it is indeed quite close. Needless to say I will not continue to read this series (and I will wait for the reviews of the movie before I fork out any money for that one). ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Clive Cussler meets Michael Crichton

Cheesy fun, with lots of action, exclamation points, and paper-thin characters. Alten's writing is, at times, very amateurish, but he makes up for it in unbridled enthusiasm. ( )
  kittyjay | Feb 28, 2019 |
Nonstop action!
Professor Jonas Taylor is a little obsessed with the idea that a prehistoric monster is lurking in the Mariana Trench. A Carcharodon megalodon. Everyone thinks his crack pot theories are a waste of time and even laughable. But who knows what's really lurking in the dark... in the deep. Jonas is about to find out.
Non-stop action packed, does thriller keeps you going from start to finish. Very well written and even reminiscent of works by Michael Crichton. The plot is well-thought-out and well-executed and written in a way that's easy to follow from one point to the next. Even the scientific jargon used in the book is easy for the layman to understand.
This is a book that I really enjoyed. I enjoy how the author moved swiftly and steadily from one action point to the next and kept you on your toes throughout the entire book. I also enjoyed the characters both sinister and heroic and thought they were well developed and even relatable.
This book will definitely make a great film. Let us hope that the movie does not disappoint.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes a good thrill with lots of action and a good, simple plot. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Oct 20, 2018 |
Jonas Taylor is an interesting character because he’s struggling. A few years back, his career tanked and he’s been kicking around since then between therapists and his hunt for the Meg. His wife, Maggie, has made her journalism career her priority and has turned rather nasty towards Jonas and his hunt. Meanwhile, the star of this story, Meg herself, inadvertently escapes from the warm water layer of the Marianas trench, up through the cold water section, into the upper warm waters of the Pacific. She’s on the loose and happy to be hunting.

I love stories that are just on the edge of possible when it comes to big dangerous beasties. We know so little about the depths of our oceans and that makes them a good breeding ground for stories of monsters. The Meg holds a lot of credibility since this proficient killer ruled the oceans for far longer than humanity has existed. Sharks as a species are hard to kill and Mother Earth has definitely tried…. and not always won. We still have plenty of sharks.

Terri and her father provide equipment and a pre-prepared California bay which might allow them to capture this prehistoric beast. Yeah, right! Right from the start, I knew this wasn’t going to happen as planned. And what’s more, the Meg appears to be pregnant! Yikes! The ocean’s animal social hierarchy will be changed forever! But I still hoped it would work.

After some sightings of the Meg and several deaths, the US Navy decides it’s best to put this beast down for good. Terri is in agreement with them but has to play for her dad’s team, which means teaming up with Jonas. There’s some playful flirtation between the two that comes off as rather forced and fake. I had high hopes that Terri would get to do some awesome stuff, but mostly she spends time on the sidelines.

The action ramps up and up and up… and it looks like things might just work out for those characters that are still left… and then stuff goes horribly wrong. Jonas ends up covered in blood and nearly drowned. More people die. Terri’s dad doesn’t get his prize. It’s a lovely mess of a situation.

The ending leaves us perfectly set up for the next book but closes off the main fights for this book. It also leaves us with a sappy romantic situation that I had trouble buying into even though I wanted some happiness for Jonas. Over all, 3.5/5 stars.

This particular audiobook version includes Book 0.5 Meg: Origins. It’s the story of how Jonas’s career tanked. I really liked this novella. Not only does it flesh out the bare bones facts in The Meg Book 1 but it also shows us that there are others who bumped into the Meg all those years ago. Jonas has mourned the loss of those scientists in the submersible with him that day but now we know how it all played out. This novella was written years after The Meg and it shows how the author’s skill has grown. 5/5 stars for Book 0.5.

The Narration: First, there’s a short bit from the author about his personal fascination with sharks, especially the Meg. I love when authors take the time to add a personal note like this and love it even more when it’s included in the audiobook. Sean Runnette was great as Jonas Taylor. He really does a great job portraying Jonas’s evolving emotions throughout the story. He starts off indecisive and dissatisfied with his life but as things heat up, the character focuses and becomes more and more sure of himself. Runnette did great with this. His female voices could use more femininity. He was great with Maggie’s venom and Terri’s assertiveness but they didn’t always sound like women. I liked his light Asian accent for Terri’s dad and how he made Terri and her brother sound all American. 4/5 stars ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Sep 24, 2018 |
This was a great book! I wanted to read it since the movie is coming out. I was not disappointed. It's about 2 megalodons ... definitely big and definitely hungry! Much more scarier than Jaws. Great ending and I know this is a series so it left it open for Jonas to continue with shark stuff. ( )
  booklover3258 | Aug 5, 2018 |
For Dad...
From the moment the early morning fog had begun to lift, they sensed they were being watched.

Many years ago, on a top-secret scientific exploratory dive into the Pacific Ocean's deepest canyon, Jonas Taylor found himself face-to-face with terror with an ancient monster to horrifying for his modern mind to contemplate. Hw was the sole survivor of the creature's wrath that day--left with the almost unimaginable belief that that attacker was a real Meg--the Carcharodon megalodon. All the experts sneered at the though of Meg, but she is indeed all too real. Now something has stirred her from the ocean depths. That ancient creature is rising, hurtling thoward the surface in a deadly fury, ready to churn the tides of terror.

If Michael Crichton and Clive Cussler were to combine their talents to create the ultimate summer read, MEG would be the result--a jaw-dropping and terrifying page-turner of the deep.

On a top-secret dive into the Pacific Ocean's deepest canyon, Jonas Taylor found himself face-to-face with the largest and most ferocious predator in the history of the animal kingdom.  The sole survivor of the mission, Taylor is haunted by what he's sure he saw but still can't prove exists--Carcharodon megalodon, the massive mother of the great white shark.  The average prehistoric Meg weighs in at twenty tons and could tear apart a Tyrannosaurus rex in seconds.

Written off as a crackpot suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, Taylor refuses to forget the depths that nearly cost him his life.  With a Ph.D. in paleontology under his belt, Taylor spends years theorizing, lecturing, and writing about the possibility that Meg still feeds at the deepest levels of the sea.  But it takes an old friend in need to get him to return to the water, and a hotshot female submarine pilot to dare him back into a high-tech miniature sub.

Diving deeper than he ever has before, Taylor will face terror like he's never imagined, and what he finds could turn the tides bloody red until the end of time.

Steve Alten holds a master's degree in sports medicine and has a Ph.D.  from Temple University.  An avid amateur oceanographer, Alten has been studying Megalodons for over ten years.  He lives with his wife and three children in South Florida.  MEG is his first novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:04 -0400)

A prehistoric shark surfaces off California and proceeds to wreck havoc. Sixty feet long, it is a member of a species living in the ocean depths for the last 100,000 years. Jonas Taylor, a paleontologist and deep-sea submariner, tries to capture it for an aquarium.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,705,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible