The Straight Dope by Cecil Adams

The Straight Dope (original 1984; edition 1986)

by Cecil Adams

Member:ldjaffe
Title:The Straight Dope
Authors:Cecil Adams
Info:Ballantine Books (1986), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:nonfiction

The Straight Dope by Cecil Adams (1984)

I'm a fairly recent convert to the Straight Dope. One of the first things I learned from the esteemed Cecil Adams is armadillos are leprous (a fact not included in this book, but maybe one of his other books). I've learned many other useful facts since I've started reading the column and books... but that's the fact that always stands out. ( )
1 vote eyelit | Mar 21, 2018 |
Culled from a weekly reader-submitted question column in the Chicago Reader. Thankfully dealing with any topic under the sun, rather than relationship advice. The 1970s hipster-wiseass persona begins to grate pretty quickly, but a wide variety of topics are treated, and Cecil's research usually brings home the bacon. ( )
  ehines | Nov 10, 2010 |
not sure: It isn't the best or the worst. I wanted more quick facts then a long story about each one.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
If you haven't encountered Adam's answers to all the questions in the world, hit the Web right now!
  librisissimo | Jun 3, 2009 |
The pot of gold for "Cliff Claven" types with a sense of humour. Love it! ( )
  dilldill | Oct 17, 2008 |

Cecil Adamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ed ZottiEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Signorino, SlugIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
While gazing recently at my Hubert the Harris (stuffed) Lion, I noticed that it comes complete with and glasses.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345333152, Mass Market Paperback)

This collection of Adams' best newspaper columns answers with erudition and wit all the weird questions Americans ponder to distraction. Why didn't the Incas invent the wheel? Is the frequency of bald women on the increase? And how many square feet of flesh on the human body? Incredibly sarcastic, knowledgeable and entertaining, The Straight Dope makes a great bathroom book or gift book or personal treasure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:41 -0400)

Answers questions about animals, the human body, religion, history, science, politics, technology, language, music, money, food, television, and movies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,453,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible