Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner

Missing, Presumed (2016)

by Susie Steiner

Manon Bradshaw loves her job as a detective sergeant in the Cambridgeshire Major Incident Team and excels at it, but her personal life is unfulfilling. She has grown weary of the internet dating scene, even as she plays the game of shaving a few years off her actual age (39) and cribbing her hobbies and interests from other people’s profiles. In her latest case, a graduate student and daughter of prominent parents, Edith Hind, goes missing, and the pressure is on Manon and her colleagues to solve the case with care, competence, and quickness, but early leads soon turn cold. The press seizes on the case which serves to escalate the already increasing tension and the stakes for the police and those connected to Edith. The consequences of the case are far-reaching for all involved. I enjoyed this book, which is primarily a police procedural but also includes elements of personal and family drama as it explores issues of race, class, and privilege in the context of a criminal investigation. Manon is an engaging central character who is intelligent and prickly yet sympathetic. The audiobook, which is available through OverDrive, is also excellent. Fans of Kate Atkinson and Tana French are likely to enjoy this book.

Rachel H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
3.5 rounded up to four. I think the ending tended to come out of nowhere. More foreshadowing would have resulted in less of a sense of a contrived ending. ( )
  nautilus | Sep 20, 2017 |
I found this book to be very slow going. I wasn't excited to pick it up and keep reading and I didn't feel a great pull to find out what was going to happen. This book was very meh. I didn't think about it when I wasn't reading it, I didn't feel connected to any of the characters, I really didn't feel the need to keep turning the pages other than to get the book over with. This book reminded me a lot of how I felt after reading The Good Girl. Its a fine book but nothing spectacular and once you finally get to hear from the missing girl's perspective it changes your whole opinion of her in the end. In my opinion, there are much better missing woman mysteries out there that have a quicker plot and more interesting characters ( )
  AmalieTurner | Aug 23, 2017 |
I was expecting...more, I guess. It's good, it was just described to me as a great thriller I wouldn't be able to put down. And well, I did put it down, a bunch. And I didn't have much urgency to return to it other than to make a dent into my long TBR list. It's more of a police procedural than a thriller, but it is interesting with several twists. However, it's more of a slow burn. ( )
  Yoh | Aug 19, 2017 |
More police-procedural than thriller, Missing, Presumed is an intriguing look into how most crimes are resolved by dogged determination and unwavering commitment rather than sudden hunches and exciting leads.

The case of the missing Cambridge post-graduate Edith Hinds was always going to be high profile, not only because she was the beautiful daughter of successful parents – her father the personal physician to the Queen, no less – but also due to scandalous revelations of her sexual shenanigans.

DI Manon Bradshaw is more concerned with the plight of Fly, a boy whose brother’s murder she is investigating, than the suspicious disappearance of Edith but author Susie Steiner weaves the threads together seamlessly in a highly satisfying conclusion which is both unexpected and optimistic. ( )
  adpaton | Aug 11, 2017 |
" The end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started" Little Giddings, T.S.Eliot
For John and Deb
She can feel hope ebbing, like the Christmas lights on fade in Pound Saver.

For readers of Kate Atkinson and Tana French comes a page-turning literary mystery that brings to life the complex and wholly relatable Manon Bradshaw, a strong-willed detective assigned to a high-risk missing persons case.

At thirty-nine, Manon Bradshaw is a devoted and respected member of the Cambridgeshire police force, and though she loves her job, what she longs for is a personal life. Single and distant from her family, she wants a husband and children of her own. One night, after yet another disastrous Internet date, she turns on her police radio to help herself fall asleep—and receives an alert that sends her to a puzzling crime scene.

Edith Hind—a beautiful graduate student at Cambridge University and daughter of the surgeon to the Royal Family—has been reported missing for nearly twenty-four hours. Her home offers few clues: a smattering of blood in the kitchen, her keys and phone left behind, the front door ajar but showing no signs of forced entry. Manon instantly knows this case will be big—and that every second is crucial to finding Edith alive.

The investigation starts with Edith’s loved ones: her attentive boyfriend, her reserved best friend, and her patrician parents. As the search widens and press coverage reaches a frenzied pitch, secrets begin to emerge about Edith’s tangled love life and her erratic behavior leading up to her disappearance. With no clear leads, Manon summons every last bit of her skill and intuition to close the case, and what she discovers will have shocking consequences not just for Edith’s family, but for Manon herself.

Suspenseful and keenly observed, Missing, Presumed is a brilliantly twisting novel of how we seek connection, grant forgiveness, and reveal the truth about who we are.

Praise for Missing, Presumed

“Detective Manon Bradshaw is appealing, multifaceted, and unforgettable. She charges through Missing, Presumed with twin goals—to find the body, and to find durable love. The resolution of this gripping novel astonishes, and leaves a long afterglow.”—Amity Gaige, author of Schroder

“Manon Bradshaw is a messed-up, big-hearted detective in the best tradition.”—Harriet Lane, author of Her

Missing, Presumed is a gripping, suspenseful, gratifyingly unpredictable detective novel, with enough plot twists to satisfy fans of the genre. But it’s also a beautifully written reflection on loneliness, and that’s what will stay with you long after you’ve turned the last page. I hope we’ll see more of Susie Steiner’s prickly, all-too-human DS Manon Bradshaw!”—Maggie Mitchell, author of Pretty Is

“Within a chapter, DS Manon Bradshaw announces herself as a detective to follow through books and books to come. Here’s a treat for those who love their crime fiction rich in psychology, beautifully written, and laced with dark humor. Dive in.”—Lucie Whitehouse, author of Before We Met

“Dazzling . . . Missing, Presumed is an extraordinarily assured police procedural in the tradition of Ruth Rendell and Elizabeth George—the surprises continue to the last page as Steiner blasts expectations and assumptions to dig deep into questions of trust, betrayal, class, and family bonds.”—Joseph Finder, author of The Fixer

“A complex, gripping read . . . The mystery behind Edith Hind’s disappearance is filled to the hilt with provocative breadcrumbs, making for a page-turning literary crime novel that is nicely balanced by the all-too-relatable human foibles of lonely Detective Sergeant Manon Bradshaw.”—Suzanne Rindell, author of The Other Typist

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 08 Mar 2016 06:55:16 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susie Steiner's book Missing, Presumed was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,530,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible