Sometimes I'm Bombaloo (Scholastic…

Sometimes I'm Bombaloo (Scholastic Bookshelf) (edition 2005)

by Rachel Vail, Yumi Heo (Illustrator)

195760,388 (4.29)None
Member:tabieisig1
Title:Sometimes I'm Bombaloo (Scholastic Bookshelf)
Authors:Rachel Vail
Other authors:Yumi Heo (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:K-2nd Grade Readers, Modern Fantasy
Rating:*****
Tags:Anger, Emotion, Coping

Sometimes I'm Bombaloo by Rachel Vail

Katie sometimes loses control and uses her feet and fists instead of her words to handle her emotions. Katie learns how to make amends
age: 3 to 7
source: Positive Child Guidence
  michellehewitt | Oct 22, 2013 |
I read this book one day during lunch with the children because we were discussing emotions and we had had quite a few outbursts that week
  shyleigh | Oct 15, 2013 |
Many children have to deal with extreme tempers and this book is great way to teach kids how to deal with these extreme emotions. Katie is the main character in the book and she normally is a very nice young lady but sometimes she gets mad and is no longer Katie, but Bombalo instead. Bombalo represents any child's alternate identity when they become angry or upset. This is a story that people of all ages can relate because everybody has bad days and does things they regret out of anger.
  Lizziep | Apr 25, 2013 |
This is the story of how the delightful Katie Honors, who is usually such a well behaved and patient big sister, sometime loses it like crazy with her younger, baby brother. We see one such spaz out in in the book here, where Katie, rants and raves, hurling toys like a maniac after her little brother unwillingly knocks over her masterpiece construction.

I especially love this books firstly because of the terrific, vibrant and active illustrations that really demonstrate perfectly the various moods expressed by Katie. We see her sill and fun and happy and then raging like a hurricane. The active lines used by the illustrator show the liveliness and wildness of Katie's moments. Secondly, the message that one can lose perspective and find their way back to safety through acknowledgement and apology is one we all need to share and remember. ( )
  ShellyCBuchanan | Apr 3, 2010 |
The artwork stirs the story and evokes memories of early motherhood. ( )
  vah | Oct 27, 2008 |

Rachel Vailprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heo, YumiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Katie Honors describes how she loses control when her younger brother messes up her work, and then how she resolves her anger and makes a positive choice.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439669413, Paperback)

Most of the time Katie Honors is a good kid. But sometimes, when her baby brother has knocked over one too many of her beautiful castles, Katie becomes Bombaloo. She uses her fists and feet instead of her words. Her toys "end up all over the floor--and so does my brother." It takes some alone time, a lot of parental understanding, and a silly episode with flying underwear to calm Bombaloo down again and return her to her happy Katie Honors state.

There aren't too many kids who won't be able to relate to award-winning author Rachel Vail's miniature version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Katie's rage is scary and reflected alarmingly well by illustrator Yumi Heo's collage, pencil, and paint illustrations, reminiscent of the art of Lane Smith, Giselle Potter, and Maira Kalman. The message is clear: sometimes we get angry--really, really angry--but it's important to calm down eventually and make it up to those we may have hurt. (Ages 3 to 7) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:15 -0400)

When Katie Honors feels angry and out of control, her mother helps her to be herself again.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,214,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible