The Obsidian Chamber by Douglas Preston

The Obsidian Chamber

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, Preston & Child (Pseudonym)

English (20)  Italian (1)  All (21)
I read the first Pendergast book Relic a couple of years ago and since then I have this been a favorite series of mine. It has been an interesting journey where I have learned more about Aloysius Pendergast and his family as the books progress and now here we are at book 16.

Pendergast is missing after the harrowing ending in the last book, and no one knows if he is alive or dead. For Constance, his ward is this a traumatizing experience and she has decided to retreat to the world she is so familiar with, the chambers below the Pendergast mansion. However, and an old enemy has returned, someone that she knows very well. But, Constance will soon learn that not everything is as it seems.

As with most books in this series was The Obsidian Chamber a pure joy to read. I miss the time when I had several Pendergast books to read, but in a way is it also nice to get a new one every year. This book felt more like a Constance book than an Aloysius Pendergast book. Of course, he is not totally missing from the book, but much of the story is about Constance. It's actually a bit tricky to write this review without spoiling too much of the story, like for instance who is back. So, I will just write some general thoughts about the book.

Constance is an intersecting character, not my personal favorite, but her backstory is truly intriguing and her first introduction to the series was spectacular. I do find myself not overfond with her growing attraction to Aloysius. I just can't seem to enjoy that idea. I must prefer her just being his ward. She has a central role in this book, and I did enjoy her part in this book. I was a bit surprised by her action in this book, how docile she seemed. However, everything got explained nicely towards the end of the book.

I was a bit worried that it would end with a cliffhanger, and yes, there was a kind of cliffhanger, but still, the story felt ended at the moment. It's the kind of ending that felt satisfying and not frustrating. The previous books end was way more frustrating than this.

Finally, I hope that Corrie is in the next book. She has not had a prominent role since White Fire book 13 and I loved that book and I adore her.

I want to thank Grand Central Publishing for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
A couple points of discontinuity (surrounding the Preston character) and a couple in which other characters behave in ways in that seemed extremely unlikely to me left me feeling this one is a 2.5-star addition to the series. But as I've read them all, and have enjoyed most, that rounds up to 3. If you've been following the series, you'll want to read this one, but be prepared to have a few 'huh?' moments. ( )
  DLMorrese | Aug 23, 2017 |
This is the sixteenth book in the Pendergast series and it opens with his ward, Constance Green, back at the Pendergast mansion in retreat and contemplation. She informs his general factotum, Procter, that she will be retreating to her subterranean chambers below the mansion to take the time she needs to grieve. Procter is soon assaulted and left tied up. By the time he escapes he sees Constance being abducted. Thus begins a horribly elaborate prank where he ends up in Africa while Constance is being courted by an old adversary.

The Obsidian Chamber, continues where Crimson Shore ended in its story line, picking up the thread a few months after the events in Exmouth, Massachusetts. It makes it very difficult to review this book without spoiling some of the surprises. I definitely think this book cannot be read as a standalone. I haven't really enjoyed the last few books in this series, even though I find all the characters quite fascinating. While not the best book in the series, it was still one I read with interest. I feel like this one clears the decks for any future books in the series and didn't leave the reader with one of those annoying cliffhanger endings. If you are already a fan of the series, you may enjoy this one.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
The Obsidian Chamber, #16 in the Pendergast series by Preston & Child, is an enjoyable read. I find the series quite interesting and the books hold up to the occasional revisit. I enjoy the references to previous books and the bits of science and cultural education included. While this might not be the best of the series is still maintains the "hard-to-put-down" atmosphere. ( )
  MM_Jones | Jun 28, 2017 |
The Obsidian Chamber is the 16th Special Agent Pendergast mystery. The only other book in the series that I have read is Blue Labyrinth. My lack of knowledge about the series definitely affected how I felt about this book. I felt is was a little slow. There was alot of back story written into the book, which I needed to know to understand what was happening, but it made the book less suspenseful for me. While the plot and characters were interesting, this book fell a little flat for me. ( )
  Violette62 | Jun 4, 2017 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Preston & ChildPseudonymmain authorall editionsconfirmed

A TRAGIC DISAPPEARANCE After a harrowing, otherworldly confrontation on the shores of Exmouth, Massachussetts, Special Agent A.X.L. Pendergast is missing, presumed dead.
A SHOCKING RETURN Sick with grief, Pendergast's ward, Constance, retreats to her chambers beneath the family mansion at 891 Riverside Drive--only to be taken captive by a shadowy figure from the past.
AN INTERNATIONAL MANHUNT Proctor, Pendergast's longtime bodyguard, springs to action, chasing Constance's kidnapper through cities, across oceans, and into wastelands unknown.
BUT IN A WORLD OF BLACK AND WHITE, NOTHING IS AS IT SEEMS And by the time Proctor discovers the truth, a terrifying engine has stirred-and it may already be too late . . .

"Preston and Child return with the next book in their #1 New York Times bestselling series featuring Special Agent Pendergast"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,988,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible