The First Cut by Dianne Emley

The First Cut

by Dianne Emley

English (11)  German (1)  All (12)
Intense, powerful and suspenseful are some of the words to describe Dianne Emley's book The First Cut. It's the first book in a series featuring Detective Nan Vining. The mystery in this book is not who the killer is but when and how the detectives figure it out. The reader is told who the murderer is about half way into the book and it's interesting to see how the police come up with the killer. The book had well define characters and a story that was well written and fast reading. I can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series. ( )
  bah195 | May 25, 2017 |
This is the first time I have ever read this author as well and I really enjoyed this book. At first I didn't think I would like it but then I got right into it. ( )
  diananagy | May 20, 2014 |
Do not read a Dianne Emley mystery alone at night. This one scared the heck out of me, especially because I know the locations of which she speaks. Yikes!

Petrea Burchard
Camelot & Vine ( )
  PetreaBurchard | Feb 9, 2014 |
Did not finish. I can't even begin to explain where this went wrong. Maybe from page one. ( )
  lesmel | Apr 11, 2013 |
A lovely suspense story. Read the book in one night. It was fun to read and I would read it again. ( )
  joyfiction | Feb 8, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034548617X, Hardcover)

For two minutes she was dead.

The assailant was vicious, the attack brutal–and it left her lifeless . . . until her pulse fluttered and she jolted awake. Now, a year later, detective Nan Vining is still questioning her strength, her safety, even her sanity: Can she ever again be the cop–and mother–she was before? And will her attacker someday return to finish the job, before she can track him down herself?

Shaky but determined, Vining rejoins the Pasadena PD, only to confront a murder case that strikes close to home: A slain policewoman has been discovered beneath the Colorado Street Bridge, her body bruised, her throat slit. Even as Vining struggles to recover her standing within the department, she can’t help but feel profoundly drawn to the murdered officer, Frankie Lynde–and she is deeply troubled by the baffling otherworldly visions that haunt her waking hours. Are these mere fever dreams? Or could they be, as Vining’s daughter insists, messages from beyond the grave?

Digging deeper into Lynde’s past, Vining discovers clues that set her on the twisted trail of a killer as ruthless as he is depraved–a predator whose methods and madness recall those of her own attacker. Amid a rising tide of danger, she pushes herself to bold new limits, desperate to avenge the murder of a fellow police officer . . . and to reclaim the life she lost a year ago.

Packed with suspense and action, this pulse-pounding novel will hold you breathless from the first cut to the last.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:59 -0400)

Detective Nan Vining is assigned to find the killer of a female L.A. cop whose body is found dumped in Pasadena and draws on her deeply disturbing psychic visions to follow the trail of a vicious husband-and-wife killing team.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,591,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible