Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Illuminated Rumi by Jalal al-Din Rumi

The Illuminated Rumi

by Jalal al-Din Rumi

Other authors: Coleman Barks (Translator), Michael Green (Illustrator)

341947,524 (4.38)2

Beautiful! Astonishing illustrations, coupled with Rumi's poetry. ( )
  iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |
Beautiful! Astonishing illustrations, coupled with Rumi's poetry. ( )
  iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |
Some of these illustrations are so wonderful and amazing. And yet, to me at least, the poetry itself is so evocative that some of the pictures, lovely as they are, actually limit the images already springing forth from my mind. But some are so wonderful.

I should read this book more often. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
I always surf the internet for inspirational quotes and I always find Rumi's quotes beautiful. But I didn't love this book, not the quotes or where it was headed. Not the illustrations though at first they look good, but all in all, they are not related to Islam. You see I am Muslim, and Sufism is a branch in Islam dedicated only for Allah, which has many meanings such as "Pure Wisdom". I felt the authors/translators going more into the "brotherly love" between Shams and Rumi and losing the true meaning of Sufism. ( )
1 vote mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Jalal al-Din Rumiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barks, ColemanTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The Illuminated Rumi is versions of Rumi's poetry in English by Coleman Barks and illuminated by the artist Micheal Green. The Illustrated Rumi is a different selection of Rumi's poetry with translations by Philip and Manuela Dunn and a forward by Huston Smith, the illustrations are by a variety of artists, photos, portraits, illuminated manuscript fragments and artwork. Please don't combine.

Rise up nimbly and go on your strange journey to the ocean of meanings...

In the mid-thirteenth century, in a dusty marketplace in Konya, Turkey, a city where Muslim, Christian, Hindu, and Buddhist travelers mingled, Jelaluddin Rumi, a popular philosopher and scholar, met Shams of Tabriz, a wandering dervish.  Their meeting forever altered the course of Rumi's life and influenced the mystical evolution of the planet.  The bond they formed was everlasting--a powerful transcendent friendship that would flow through Rumi as some of the world's best-loved ecstatic poetry.

Rumi's passionate, playful poems find and celebrate sacred life in everyday existence.  They speak across all traditions, to all peoples, and today his relevance and popularity continue to grow.  In The Illuminated Rumi, Coleman Barks, widely regarded as the world's premier translator of Rumi's writings, presents some of his most brilliant work, including many new translations.  To complement Rumi's universal vision, Michael Green has worked the ancient art of illumination into a new, visually stunning form that joins typography, original art, old masters, photographs, and prints with sacred images from around the world.

The Illuminated Rumi is a truly groundbreaking collaboration that interweaves word and image: a magnificent meeting of ancient tradition and modern interpretation that uniquely captures the spiritual wealth of Rumi's teachings.  Coleman Barks's wise and witty commentary, together with Michael Green's art, makes this a classic guide to the life of the soul for a whole new generation of seekers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:37 -0400)

"In the mid-thirteenth century, in a dusty marketplace in Konya, Turkey, a city where Muslim, Christian, Hindu, and Buddhist travelers mingled, Jelaluddin Rumi, a popular philosopher and scholar, met Shams of Tabriz, a wandering dervish. Their meeting forever altered the course of Rumi's life and influenced the mystical evolution of the planet. The bond they formed was everlasting - a powerful transcendent friendship that would flow through Rumi as some of the world's best-loved ecstatic poetry.". "Rumi's passionate, playful poems find and celebrate sacred life in everyday existence. They speak across all traditions, to all peoples, and today his relevance and popularity continue to grow. In The Illuminated Rumi, Coleman Barks, widely regarded as the world's premier translator of Rumi's writings, presents some of his most brilliant work, including many new translations."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,523,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible