Splinters of Truth by Storm Constantine

Splinters of Truth (edition 2016)

by Storm Constantine (Author), Ian Whates (Introduction)

Member:wilderwoman
Title:Splinters of Truth
Authors:Storm Constantine (Author)
Other authors:Ian Whates (Introduction)
Info:NewCon Press (2016), 284 pages

Splinters of Truth by Storm Constantine

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A nice collection of stories but nothing that stands out strongly. ( )
  Gkarlives | Oct 31, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this was a great opportunity to get to know the author's work. However, it didn't work out for me - half of the stories I skipped through because I was bored to sleep or just didn't care about characters or plot or both. I definitely feel kind of like an outsider with my opinion, but I can't help it. I did expect something great and inspiring from such a praised author and started reading with a "I surely can't go wrong with that author" attitude in mind.

True, I'm not a big fan of short stories, but then again I encountered some great collections anyway (e.g. Braunbeck or Burke, and do I really need to mention King?). Okay, fantasy is not my favorite genre either, but this is not only about fantasy, or is it!? Of course, there were a number of fantasy tales featuring all the characteristics I dislike about it - ridiculous invented names, overly long descriptions of needless details and even longer (but not necessarily important) dialogues. Which makes me wonder if maybe this is not the wrong kind of book, but I'm the wrong kind of reader for it. Does this make sense? Funny thing is, I do understand and respect why other readers would love these stories, because the stories are really well-written and original and fantastic. As you see, this book left me with a lot of questions, so I'll finish with this last one: is it plausible to recommend a book I didn't enjoy reading myself?

(I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review) ( )
  misspider | May 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of this anthology from the Publisher through the Library Thing Early Reviewers Program in exchange for my honest review.

Storm Constantine's prose is poetic, transporting the reader into strange and distant realms peopled by characters who, at the same time, may be beautiful, dark, and terrible. Several of stories reminded me of the original fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm - tales that do not necessarily deliver happy endings.

One of my favorites in the collection, reminiscent of the old tales, is Haven. In this story, a prince named Garland from what I would best describe as a "cookie-cutter" kingdom, happens upon a witch whilst hunting in the forest. The dark lady tells him she is a queen from another land and the prince, intrigued, brings her home with him to his kingdom. What happens afterward is not at all what Garland expected.

Another I particularly enjoyed was Violet's House. This eerie coming-of-age tale centers on cousins who are shipped off in the summer to their Aunt Violet's strangely magical estate, Herons. The narrator of the story, Nan, is the youngest at 14 years of age, and as Constantine tells the story of this fateful summer, we journey along with her as she loses forever her innocence.

These are wonderful stories for anyone who enjoys the genre and this collection is highly recommended. ( )
  splatland | May 3, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. These 15 stories from "the edge of darkness" were fascinating. I was sucked in from the first story and spit out on the other end of the book thinking "What a wild ride!" ( )
  Cheryl_Nolan | May 2, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this collection very uneven. Some of the stories were good, others were well enough written but just plodded. Several were over polished. In fact, some of the best pieces in the collection were in the collection of fragments at the end.

overall, not sorry I read it, probably won't search out any more of the author's books.

Note: I received this book from the librarything early reviewers programme in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  tarshaan | Apr 30, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Storm Constantine's book Splinters of Truth was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Storm Constantine is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,096,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible