dismiss

The Blessing of Humility by Jerry Bridges

The Blessing of Humility (edition 2016)

by Jerry Bridges (Author)

We all admire humility when we see it. But how do we practice it? How does humility--the foundational virtue of the normal Christian life--become a normal part of our everyday lives?Jerry Bridges sees in the Beatitudes a series of blessings from Jesus, a pattern for humility in action. Starting with poverty in spirit--an acknowledgment that in and of ourselves we are incapable of living holy lives pleasing to God--and proceeding through our mourning over personal sin, our hunger and thirst for righteousness, our experience of persecutions large and small, and more, we discover that humility is itself a blessing: At every turn, God is present to us, giving grace to the humble and lifting us up to blessing.… (more)
Member:JaredMarkJenkins
Title:The Blessing of Humility
Authors:Jerry Bridges (Author)
Info:NavPress (2016), 144 pages

The Blessing of Humility by Jerry Bridges

I only discovered Jerry Bridges relatively recently whilst working as a missionary in the Philippines. Since then I have read many of his books and found some of them invaluable. I was sad to learn that the author died last year, but his legacy will surely live on.

The Blessing of Humility follows Bridges' usual style--simple Gospel truths highlighting the practical application. He works through the Beatitudes demonstrating that humility is found in those who faithfully exercise them. Bridges states that they are Jesus' pattern for humility in action. He points out that a humble person will naturally be counter-cultural because society instead values self-esteem and elevation of the individual. He explains true humility in the light of Scripture.

Bridges concludes that the truly humble person

-is poor in spirit
-mourns over his or her sin
-is meek towards God and other people
-hungers and thirsts for righteousness
-is merciful towards other people
-is pure in heart
-is a peacemaker
-considers himself or herself blessed when persecuted or reviled for righteousness' sake

He reminds us that none of us will ever perfectly live out these values. That is why we need the Gospel every day. He suggests practical ways that a person can grow in humility mainly through their study of different Scriptures, dealing properly with sin in their lives and through prayer.

I have yet to find a Bridges book that I didn't enjoy and get something from. I recommend this short book.

sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
Jerry Bridges believes the essential New Testament passage on humility is the Beattitude portion of the Sermon on the Mount. This brief work offers his insight into that masterful sermon of Jesus and how it can lead to a greater personal humility.

In my opinion, the strongest chapters were the chapter on being poor in spirit, the chapter of mourning over our sinfulness, and the chapter on meekness. Everything else in this book builds upon and flows from Bridges arguments in these three chapters.

Read this book! Jerry Bridges has been a blessing to the modern church through his writings and his work with the Navigators. The Blessing of Humility is his last authored book. I love that this accomplished man spent his last days writing about humility. What a testimony! It is definitely worth your time! ( )
  RobSumrall | Mar 20, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,190,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible