Fix You (Fix You, #1) by Beck Anderson

Fix You (Fix You, #1)

by Beck Anderson

This has to be the most beautiful and unlikely tale of love I have read in a very long time. Although the story sounds far-fetched, if not impossible, you still find yourself believing in the characters.

The writing is well paced giving you time to get to know the characters, and really feel their emotions. I could connect with Kelly best, she is in such a vulnerable place in her life now, yet strong enough to cope with the rigors of life with her 2 boys and the extra difficulties a romance with Andrew entails.

Overall this is a great book for anyone even if you don't like romance you'll enjoy this. ( )
  theReadingHead | Jul 17, 2015 |

Since Kelly's husband died, every day has been a struggle to get back to something resembling normal. She's managed to keep it together for her sons, but after two years, the pain is still fresh. But when a stranger finds Kelly crying in the midst of her morning run, it's not long before Kelly finds herself in the odd circumstances of spending time with a famous — and available — movie star. But they each live in different worlds, and even as they come to depend on each other and develop deeper feelings, the grief for their pasts and the demands of their present threaten to come between them.

The Verdict: The prologue was simply heartbreaking, detailing the moments leading up to Kelly's widowhood with an indefinable clarity that even someone who's never experienced that great loss can't help but understand. It perfectly set the stage for the rest of the story, picking up two years later as Kelly is still grieving the loss of her husband and trying simply to get through each day without losing hope.

Kelly's life has been pretty empty and rather boring since losing Peter, and when she runs into Andrew on the second anniversary of Peter's death, she doesn't even recognize him. But as uneventful as her life may be, she hasn't been living under a rock, and when they meet again, realization dawns. However, there's a silent understanding between them that Andrew doesn't want a big deal made of his presence, and Kelly goes along with it, trying to treat him like just another person and not a famous movie star.

Where most romances that start the way Fix You did focus on grief and guilt and an inability to move on, Kelly and Andrew's story was refreshingly different. While Kelly was certainly still mourning her husband, she wasn't closed off to the possibility of a future with someone new — though she did feel like she was in some kind of parallel universe to be casually hanging out with a movie star. And Andrew, for his part, wasn't running away from fame or pushing Kelly away out of some misplaced sense of responsibility; instead he relished the time he had with her, the ability to live a relatively unknown and normal life for whatever few days they had together, and while he didn't hide his attraction to and interest in her, he also didn't rush things.

Unfortunately, past the prologue, it began to feel like I was missing something, like some of the connection to the characters was lacking. I liked Kelly, and her kids kept even the everyday routine situations entertaining without going over the top. But after the romance between Kelly and Andrew began to slowly develop, it felt like my emotional connection to them sort of stalled out. I think part of what was missing was the chemistry — and not just because of all the fade-to-black moments. I've read plenty of clean romances that dealt up passion without ever taking readers along for a step-by-step ride. But even as it was obvious that Andrew and Kelly cared deeply for each other, something about their relationship never felt like they couldn't get enough of each other — even when the characters said exactly that.

There was still plenty to like about the story. Kelly was very real — couldn't cook to save her life, lived in a somewhat messy life, and felt out of place in the rather glamorous world that Andrew was stuck in. And Andrew had faults as well, namely dealing in all the wrong ways with an event from his past and not always keeping Kelly in the forefront of his mind when he was feeling especially low. Fortunately, even with the sadder aspects of both their pasts, not to mention the issues that Andrew's fame brought to the table, the story remained grounded and for the most part upbeat, not a study in drowning angst and unbelievable drama like so many books with this general theme fall prey to. Overall, Fix You is a sweet love story about second chances for an unlikely but well-matched pair, and while I didn't entirely feel the connection, it was still a very enjoyable read.

***FicCentral received this book from Simon & Schuster (via NetGalley) for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
Fix You by Beck Anderson
Source: Author
My Rating: 3/5 stars
My Review:

There is a large portion of the population that has what Mr. RoloPolo and I affectionately refer to as the “Freebie List.” For those of you who don’t know what a Freebie List is, it’s the list of celebrities we get to run away and sleep with the moment they knock on out front door. Don’t judge, you know you have one too 
For Kelly Reynolds, if there ever was a Freebie List, it and its playfulness died two years ago with her beloved husband, Peter. For two very, very long years Kelly has done the best she can do every day to survive. Her two young sons, Beau and Hunter have gone a long way to help heal her wounds but a love taken too soon is hard to just get over. In an effort to save herself and her sanity, Kelly takes up running and it is on one of those early morning runs that Kelly runs into a man that is on many women’s Freebie List.
Andrew Pettigrew is handsome, charming and, one of Hollywood’s hottest commodities. He is internationally known, often chased by the paparazzi and, has a past that often comes back to bite him on the butt. As long as Andrew is busy, life is good and the demons can be held at bay. Turns out, a widowed mother of two who enjoys a good morning run and hot tea can also help hold the demons at bay. From the moment he meet Kelly Reynolds, Andrew is taken with her. With little to no thought about the absurdity of their situation, Andrew pursues Kelly with every intention of making her his own.
Being the girlfriend of a celebrity is no easy task what with the keeping it a secret, trying to make time to see one another and, dealing with all of the media that often includes your boyfriend with other women. To be fair, Kelly comes with her own baggage but being with Andrew is helping her work through some of those issues. For several months, Kelly and Andrew make things work but before either can even begin to think about an HEA, things fall apart in a very spectacular and public way. Andrew’s demons come back in full, ugly force and rather than stand beside Andrew, Kelly allows her own demons to control her life and her feelings and she runs from the thing she wants the most.
The Bottom Line: Fix You is a sweet love story about two very broken people doing their best to keep themselves and their lives together. From the beginning, Kelly is a hot mess who is, at times just barely hanging on. Andrew is much the same but with a much greater capacity for hiding how truly broken he really is. That the two would find one another and ultimately be able to find happiness is pretty astounding given what each has been through and carries with them on a daily basis. From beginning to end, there aren’t really any big surprises or plot twists but that’s OK. At the end of the day, Fix You is a simple romance about two people from very different worlds who find acceptance, forgiveness and, healing through love. ( )
  arthistorychick | Mar 20, 2015 |
This scrumptious morsel had me hunkered down like it was a cold winter’s night—with an uber-soft blanket and a steaming mug of thick hot chocolate. However, the storyline was so highly entertaining by the time I took a break, I was on the final page and my chocolate cold from neglect. Now, the heat of this cup of goodness wasn’t steaming enough to burn my tongue—no one took off their wrappers…a la another oh-so-hot read that’s been popular in the headlines…but it left this Chick to do her own imaginative confectionary work.

It was easy to lose myself in the character of Kelly; her voice, mannerisms, and self-doubt were highly relatable. She also had an edge to her way of thinking and reactions that made her a gal I would split a cupcake with or be myself. That once-in-a-lifetime lottery moment she finds herself winning by crossing paths with a smoking-hot movie star is actually realistic. That’s the beauty of Anderson’s writing; it pulled me in and was so smooth that I didn’t realize how deeply I had delved into this lip-smacking read until the final page when I looked around and said, “What? Wait! I can go back for seconds, right?”

What was especially fresh and delectable were the split settings and locations. I found myself wound up in the typical Hollywood glitz associated with a popular movie star, but it was tempered with the peaceful backdrops of a western state—Idaho—a place a reader often doesn’t get to travel to on the printed page. The other half to the dynamic duo of main characters, Andrew Pettigrew, was easy on the palette both in description and personality as well. Again, when I was finished, I wanted sequel seconds. ( )
  ChocolitChick | Mar 9, 2014 |
Fix You was a sweet love story, with a good element of angst and sadness. It was a story about love and loss, and trying to find you way back to normal. The story is about Kelly a widowed mother of two boys and Andrew a famous actor. Both are dealing with the grief they have experienced with their past, but at times it seems that the grief controls them. Can the learn to live with the grief or will their relationship suffer because of it? I thought this book was okay, but would've liked to have had more interaction between the characters. I know this is a cleaner book, but I just didn't feel the chemistry between the characters. I did like the fact that Andrew didn't balk at the fact that Kelly had children. Overall it was a entertaining with a good ending! ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,826,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible