Hide by Lisa Gardner

Hide

by Lisa Gardner

Series: D.D. Warren (2)

Recently added byPJ817, Catsplus, rena70, lilacwest, Tiffy83, private library
    Kiss the Girls by James Patterson (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Both have creepy abductions...

English (61)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (65)
I thought this book was phenomenal! I read over half of it in one day and I would have finished it but it was 3 in the morning and I needed to go to bed. I will definitely be reading the rest of this series. ( )
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Good characters in a tense and suspenseful story. Its main weakess is that a few implausible coincidences were crucial to the plot. ( )
  SharronA | Mar 5, 2014 |
Immediately after finishing Alone I started on Hide (it was that much fun) and though I knew these were books 1 & 2 of a series, I didn’t know they they were connected so tightly. I won’t go so far as to say they’re one long story arc, but there is enough continuation of the first story that I’d recommend reading Alone first. That and there are spoilers for Alone in Hide. It is interesting that these are billed as D.D. Warren books, when I think that the first one wasn’t really intended as a start of a series, and the second, if it is, features Bobby Dodge, not D.D. It seems like the D.D. books took off later and these were tacked on just because she’s in them and that if no other stories focus on Bobby, you can’t really name a series after him with only 2 books. Awkward explanation, I agree, but that’s my perception.

In my previous experience with a D.D. Warren book, I didn’t much care for her, but I did like the way the victim was portrayed. She was complex and her situation was tangled in the extreme. We have that type of story again with both of these books. Catherine I found to be a really interesting ‘victim’. She’s got enough ambiguity and doubt clinging to her that it’s difficult to use that term, but it does apply and it’s not hard to see how her traumatic experience would warp her personality into what she became. I didn’t like her, but I did sympathize. Gardner builds a lot of doubt about the circumstances for the bulk of the readers’ sympathy to shift to Bobby. Used to being behind the gun, he gets himself into a lot of other people’s crosshairs and it’s mostly him you worry about.

We meet Cat again in Hide, but she’s not the focus for that book. Instead we get another woman trying to hold herself together after a disturbing childhood. Annabelle is way more sympathetic than Cat even though what she suffered wasn’t nearly as horrible. Instead we’ve got a woman so scared of being known to people that she continues to live under the alias her father selected for their last desperate flight to escape an enemy he’s never explained to her. She’s strong and capable, but those skills are built on fear, paranoia and complete uncertainty of what or who her enemy actually is.

In both books we have a good variety of suspects who come to light one at a time. There are a lot of unknowns and it’s police work and investigation that gets results, not rabbit-out-of-a-hat forensics. It feels more desperate as a result. The changes from viewpoint to viewpoint are done well. Not too long or too short and the voices for Bobby and the two victims are distinct. There were a few clangy phrases (like ‘death investigators’) that I didn’t like, but not many. One of the characters in Hide got a little preachy about the implosion of the mental health system in the US, but because I agree with the rant, it didn’t bother me. Some details about ordinance and cars were wrong, too (a BMW 450i? I don’t think so.) and so better research is needed. Still, the overall stories are powerful enough to keep me reading Gardner’s books. Seems like she has a lot of them, so a lot to look forward to. ( )
  Bookmarque | Dec 17, 2013 |
I couldn't put this book down!

Wow! What a roller-coaster of action, emotions, twists & turns from start to finish...this book gripped me from the very first page and I went without a lot of sleep to keep reading it because I just couldn't bear not to find out what happened on the next page, and the next, and the next.

Lisa Gardner has the crime thriller absolutely nailed and I can't wait to read the next one in the DD Warren series, and of course all the other books she's written.

I cannot recommend it enough, though of course it will help if you read "Alone" (the first in the D.D. Warren series) first as well. ( )
  Frederika.Roberts | Nov 21, 2013 |
Don't be fooled that the focus is still some on Bobby Dodge. He disappears at the end of the book and plays a minor role ever after. Lisa Gardner always writes a strong suspense novel. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 3, 2013 |

Gardner, Lisaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mısırlıoğlu, Cumhurçevirmensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reed, Maggie-MegReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruiter-Bouwhuis, SarinaVertalersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walther, UrsulaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hide (2012IMDb)
My father explained it to me the first time when I was seven years old:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588087, Mass Market Paperback)

You have good reason to be afraid. . . .

It was a case that haunts Bobby Dodge to this day—the case that nearly killed him and changed his life forever. Now, in an underground chamber on the grounds of an abandoned Massachusetts mental hospital, the gruesome discovery of six mummified corpses resurrects his worst nightmare: the return of a killer he thought dead and buried. There’s no place to run. . . . Bobby’ s only lead is wrapped around a dead woman’s neck. Annabelle Granger has been in hiding for as long as she can remember. Her childhood was a blur of new cities and assumed identities. But what—or who—her family was running from, she never knew. Now a body is unearthed from a grave, wearing a necklace bearing Annabelle’s name, and the danger is too close to escape. This time, she’s not going to run. You know he will find you. . . .

The new threat could be the dead psychopath’s copycat, his protégé—or something far more terrifying. Dodge knows the only way to find him is to solve the mystery of Annabelle Granger, and to do that he must team up with his former lover, partner, and friend D. D. Warren from the Boston P.D. But the trail leads back to a woman from Bobby’s past who may be every bit as dangerous as the new killer—a beautiful survivor-turned-avenger with an eerie link to Annabelle. From its tense opening pages to its shocking climax, Hide is a thriller that delves into our deepest, darkest fears. Where there is no one to trust. Where there is no place left to hide.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:28 -0400)

"The new threat could be the dead psychopath's copycat, his protege - or something far more terrifying. Dodge knows the only way to find him is to solve the mystery of Annabelle Granger, and to do that he must team up with his former lover, partner, and friend D. D. Warren from the Boston P.D. But the trail leads back to a woman from Bobby's past who may be every bit as dangerous as the new killer - a beautiful survivor-turned-avenger with an eerie link to Annabelle."--BOOK JACKET. "It was a case that haunts Bobby Dodge to this day - the case that nearly killed him and changed his life forever. Now, in an underground chamber on the grounds of an abandoned Massachusetts mental hospital, the gruesome discovery of six mummified corpses resurrects his worst nightmare: the return of a killer he thought dead and buried." "Bobby's only lead is wrapped around a dead woman's neck. Annabelle Granger has been in hiding for as long as she can remember. Her childhood was a blur of new cities and assumed identities. But what - or who - her family was running from, she never knew. Now a body is unearthed from a grave, wearing a necklace bearing Annabelle's name, and the danger is too close to escape. This time, she's not going to run."… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,123,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible