Life Is Meals: A Food Lover's Book of Days…

Life Is Meals: A Food Lover's Book of Days

by James Salter

I first heard about this book on the Book Riot podcast, and it sounded like something I would definitely enjoy: a book written by food lovers about food? Sign me up! I got a used hardcover edition with a nice little ribbon attached for a bookmark (I love books that have that), and the illustrations are beautiful (I wish there were more of them; the painted food looks better than real life).

The Salters arranged this book so that there is one subject for each of the 365 days in the year (366 actually, since they included February 29), and you can read it day by day or, like me, devour it (har har) in a couple of sittings. They talk about famous historical figures in food, the origins of certain food items, events in history surrounding food, great places to eat, and of course, their own experiences with hosting dinner parties and other personal life events surrounding food. They also provide several delicious recipes. I learned a lot from this book, and a couple times got very hungry as a result of reading it. The only qualm I have is that they often suggest foods, wines, and restaurants that are very expensive or require a passport to get to, which makes my student-loan-paying self very sad. But it is nice to have all of these places in one book, so if I do find myself traveling in France or Italy later in life, I'll know where to go. ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Jun 7, 2015 |
It's sweet, and cute, and some of the information, fascinating (the risotto recipe is good, and simple enough to remember), but I kept being a little creeped out by how Jim is consistenly cast as the older-and-wiser of the two of them, and Kay is always the one in need of teaching. They've been married, like, thirty years, and that's one hell of a power imbalance to live with for thirty years. ::judges:: MY PRECONCEPTIONS, LET ME SHOW YOU THEM. ( )
  cricketbats | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book is a miscellanea of food writing. Each day has a separate entry, where the entry can be a recipe, reminiscences of the author's memorable meals, or other food-related entries. ( )
  willyt | Mar 16, 2008 |
This was a pleasant series of essays disguised as a log for one year. It was written by two people, but other than on those occassions when one would identify his/herself, it was virtually impossible to tell which was writing. The information was not earthshatteringly new, but it was interesting. ( )
  osmium_antidote | Aug 6, 2007 |

From the PEN/Faulkner Award-winning author James Salter and his wife, Kay—amateur chefs and perfect hosts—here is a charming, beautifully illustrated tour de table: a food lover's companion that, with an entry for each day of the year, takes us from a Twelfth Night cake in January to a champagne dinner on New Year's Eve. Life Is Meals is rich with culinary wisdom, history, recipes, literary pleasures, and the authors' own memories of successes and catastrophes.For instance: • The menu on the Titanic on the fatal night• Reflections on dining from Queen Victoria, JFK, Winnie-the-Pooh, Garrison Keillor, and many others• The seductiveness of a velvety Brie or the perfect martini• How to decide whom to invite to a dinner party—and whom not to• John Irving's family recipe for meatballs; Balzac's love of coffee• The greatest dinner ever given at the White House• Where in Paris Samuel Beckett and Harold Pinter had French onion soup at 4:00 a.m.• How to cope with acts of God and man-made disasters in the kitchenSophisticated as well as practical, opinionated, and indispensable, Life Is Meals is a tribute to the glory of food and drink, and the joy of sharing them with others. "The meal is the emblem of civilization," the Salters observe. "What would one know of life as it should be lived, or nights as they should be spent, apart from meals?"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:21 -0400)

Celebrates the pleasures of food in a volume that includes an entry for every day of the year and contains a host of culinary wisdom, recipes, history, food lore, and personal reminiscences.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible