Windhaven by George R. R. Martin

Windhaven (1981)

by George R. R. Martin (Author), Lisa Tuttle (Author)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
A classic from the 70s, memorable for its wonderful depiction of the joys of flying, I mean with wings, like an eagle. The written version of the flight training segment of the movie Avatar. 30 years after, the memories are fading but overall it was a good read. ( )
  ricaustria | Apr 5, 2013 |
I enjoy George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, so it's disappointing that reading this book inspired me to adopt a new "don't keep reading something you're not enjoying just to finish it" policy. I got 2/3 of the way through and it was good at times and ok at times, just bland, young adult, fantasy. I loved Anne McCaffrey's Pern books as a child, and this reminded me of the same sort of thing, but didn't resonate as strongly with me. ( )
  BrownDeer32 | Apr 6, 2012 |
I would really only recommend this book for historical interest, in noting where two of Rowling's main themes (the battle between people born into magic families and those of mixed ancestry, and magic academies) had precedent. The book follows the life of Maris, a fisherman's daughter, on this world where humans had long ago been stranded, leaving behind only this fabric which allowed those who wore them as wings to fly. That is handy, since the planet is mainly water, with scattered islands and they don't seem to have developed any other means of communication. Maris's fight to become a flyer succeeds, but ends up changing the social order more drastically than she had realized. ( )
  robinamelia | Feb 5, 2012 |
I thought this was a basically enjoyable book, but little more. I picked it up because I've generally liked other George R. R. Martin titles, but this one lacked the fullness of his other work, especially in the characters. The people who inhabit this world, even the main characters, are very two-dimensional, and I found it very difficult to really care about any of them. As I said, it's an okay read, but it's not one I'd really recommend you run out and buy. ( )
  nesum | Jan 9, 2012 |
A very nice and intriguing read, this book. The story is well-written and easy to follow, despite the jumps in time that happen in some places.
I really like Windhaven, even when there are many painful and sad moments in it. ( )
  paganpaul | Mar 18, 2011 |

Walter, HarrietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weston, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lisa Tuttle:
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude to my mother and father, even if they don't read it.
George R. R. Martin:
This one is for Elizabeth and Anne and Mary Kaye and Carol and Meredyth and Ann and Yvonne and the rest of my Courier troublemakers, in the hope that they will continue to make trouble, ask questions, and get thrown out of offices.
The storm had raged through most of the night.
Als je eenmaal het vliegen geproefd hebt
zul je de aarde bewandelen met je blik naar de hemel
want daar ben je geweest
en daarheen reikt je verlangen

Leonardo Da Vinci

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553577905, Mass Market Paperback)

If Windhaven weren't a fantasy book, it would be a selection for Oprah's books club, in the best sense. It tells the life story of a girl whose desire is so strong that it literally changes her world.

Maris wants nothing more than to fly. But she is land-bound: she was not born into a family of flyers, those who inherit their wings from their ancestors and convey messages, songs, and stories between the isolated islands of Windhaven. She convinces the flyers to break their ancient dynastic traditions for a selfish reason--to gain a pair of wings. In so doing, however, she opens the skies to all the hopeful land-bound, with serious social and political repercussions for both populations.

Each of the five chapters relates a different incident in Maris's struggle to first become a flyer and to then open the skies, and the flyers' minds, to the rest of the land-bound. They are told in sequential order as Maris ages, but resemble short stories featuring the same character more than chapters in a novel. Although the background in each certainly enhances the understanding of the following one, this knowledge is not at all essential to appreciating each chapter as a discrete entity that can stand alone.

Windhaven is a thought-provoking book, challenging us by depicting the potential consequences when young idealists break ancient traditions. The authors gave us a heroine, a planet, and a story that teach as they entertain. --Diana M. Gitig

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:26 -0400)

On stormy Windhaven, the descendants of long-ago stranded star-sailors live on widely separated islands. Lacking metals to sustain industrial technology, the inhabitants depend on flyers, humans with wings made from the original star sail, to bring news and carry messages, uniting far-flung communities. Maris, a land-bound female adopted into a flyer family, loves to fly. But when her stepbrother, Coll, turns thirteen, he as first-born stands to inherit the irreplaceable wings, even as he dreams of being a traveling singer instead. When Maris tries to resolve both quandaries by stealing the wings, she challenges not only flyer law but the basic assumptions of Windhaven society. Establishing competitions to win wings and training academies for students from non-flyer families, and defending a "made" flyer accused of treason for stopping a war, Maris faces the lifelong consequences of talent come into conflict with privilege ...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible