Turning Angel by Greg Iles

Turning Angel (2005)

by Greg Iles

English (44)  French (1)  All (45)
Book Description
After winning the most dangerous case of his career, prosecutor Penn Cage decides to remain in his Southern hometown to raise his young daughter in a safe haven. But nowhere is truly safe―not from long-buried secrets, or murder.… When the nude body of prep school student Kate Townsend is found near the Mississippi River, Penn’s best friend, Drew Elliott, is desperate for his counsel. An esteemed family physician, Drew makes a shocking confession that could put him on death row. Penn will do all he can to exonerate Drew, but in a town where the gaze of a landmark cemetery statue―the Turning Angel―never looks away, Penn finds himself caught on the jagged edge of blackmail, betrayal, and deadly violence.

My Review
This is a story that will grab your attention right from the start. It was hard to put down and the plot had many twists and turns. The ending was a surprise that I didn't see coming. The subject matter was disturbing but the characters are very realistic. I loved the setting of the book - the South in Natchez Mississippi, a historic civil war city. I now look forward to reading the 3rd book of the Penn Cage series and highly recommend this author to those who love page-turning mystery novels. ( )
  EadieB | Dec 7, 2016 |
This was an excellent follow-up to the first book in the Penn Cage Series, The Quiet Game. The events in this book take place five years after the first book and revolve around the murder of a girl two weeks before her 18th Birthday and the affair she was having with a married Doctor. Was he responsible for her murder or was there something else going on in her life that led to her murder? Call in Penn Cage, the doctor's best friend, to investigate.

This is quite an in-depth story with many layers that have to be unpeeled. This held my interest from the very beginning and was difficult to put down the further I got into the book. I like the character of Penn Cage and the link he had with his baby sitter, Mia, who helped him throughout this case. The further the story goes on the more ramifications that it has on the town of Natchez and Kate's murder isn't the only casualty of the period. It lost half a star for me for the indepth description of the effect of taking heroin, I didn't feel this was called for, otherwise I would have given it five stars. I would certainly recommend this series based on the first 2 books in the series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Dec 4, 2016 |
It begins as a taut legal thriller where Penn Cage (From Quiet Game and Sleep No More) has to defend his friend who had saved his life previously. His friend was in love with a high school student who turns up dead. All clues begin pointing to Penn's friend as the killer. Meanwhile, the story touches on drug warfare, adolescent sex and more double-crossing and political reaching than you can imagine. "Turning Angel" is a good book that explores the loss of innocence among the young. Is there anything that can be done? Iles doesn't answer that question but still writes an fun novel. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Even though I sped through the first book in this series, "The Quiet Game", this one started slowly for me. I read the first couple chapters and then put it away for a couple months. When I picked it up again, I sped through it in a couple days. I will definitely read the rest of the series, but due to their length, I can't read them one after the other. So I'm going to read some shorter reads before I start the next one. I do enjoy Iles' writing. I could picture everything as it was happening and I felt like I was in the deep South, even as I was reading in my living room in the frozen North! ( )
  CocosReads | Apr 21, 2016 |
Best book I have read yet and no matter who I have leant it to no one can put it down! It deals with explicit topics however so not necessarily for everyone ( )
  Rachel_Sanders | Jan 4, 2016 |
Society is an artificial construction, a defense against nature's power.
-Camille Paglia
The rain kept falling, swelling the creek until it lifted the girl into its muddy flood.
What's the third type of black leader? ... The prophetic leader. That's Martin, Malcolm...Ella Baker. Or James Baldwin in the intellectual sphere ... The current generation has produced no leaders of this type, much less of that caliber. I'm watching Barak Obama, but I'm not sure yet.

(FYI: This novel was written in 2005)

gregiles.com- After winning the most dangerous case of his career, prosecutor Penn Cage decides to remain in his Southern hometown to raise his young daughter in a safe haven. But nowhere is truly safe -- not from long-buried secrets, or murder....When the nude body of prep school student Kate Townsend is found near the Mississippi River, Penn's best friend, Drew Elliott, is desperate for his counsel. An esteemed family physician, Drew makes a shocking confession that could put him on death row. Penn will do all he can to exonerate Drew, but in a town where the gaze of a landmark cemetery statue -- the Turning Angel -- never looks away, Penn finds himself caught on the jagged edge of blackmail, betrayal, and deadly violence.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743454162, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:03 -0400)

Lawyer Penn Cage returns to defend his best friend since childhood for the murder of a young female student, with whom his friend was intimate, at their old alma mater, St. Stephen's Prep.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,200,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible