Turning Angel: A Novel (A Penn Cage Novel)…

Turning Angel: A Novel (A Penn Cage Novel) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Greg Iles (Author)

Series: Penn Cage (2)

Lawyer Penn Cage returns to defend his best friend since childhood for the murder of a young female student, with whom his friend was intimate, at their old alma mater, St. Stephen's Prep.
Member:scallorn
Title:Turning Angel: A Novel (A Penn Cage Novel)
Authors:Greg Iles (Author)
Info:Pocket Books (2006), Edition: Reprint, 672 pages

Turning Angel by Greg Iles (Author) (2005)

English (50)  French (1)  All languages (51)
The books are lengthy, but they are good. ( )
  RobertaLea | Sep 19, 2020 |
Audiobook narrated by Dick Hill

Book two in the Penn Cage series. Drew Elliott is a highly respected doctor in Natchez. He is also a life-long friend of Penn’s, having saved his life when they were boys, and he serves alongside Penn on the school board of their alma mater, St Stephen’s Prep. When the nude body of the school’s valedictorian is found near a creek bed behind the school property, the entire community is shocked. But Penn soon discovers that Drew had an inappropriate and passionate relationship with the girl, and Drew’s likely to be accused of her murder.

Okay… Iles can write a compelling story with lots of suspects, many twists and turns in the plot, complicated motives and subplots, and a fast pace that keeps the reader turning pages. Penn’s background as a prosecuting attorney in Houston serves him well, but also complicates matters; he’s no longer practicing law, though Drew wants to maintain an “attorney-client” privilege to their communication.

Iles books are full of violence … and of the three I’ve read, particularly against women. Murder is always a violent crime, of course, but the sexual component herein is particularly disturbing. But I have a major problem with THIS book due to the basic underlying relationships. We have a doctor having a torrid love affair with a TEENAGER who is his PATIENT! And her mother “approves” of this?!!!??!!?!?! Then Penn is attracted to and kissing the teenager who babysits his daughter …. YUCK and DOUBLE YUCK.

So the basic “thriller genre” gets 3 stars (even with the violence against women), but loses a star for the particularly distasteful – and disgraceful – underlying theme here.

And by the way … Penn is going on about how he wants to improve Natchez and bring more people to the community. But the author is sure doing a good job of painting it as a den of iniquity that no one would want to visit, with shoot-outs in hotels and drug cartels running rampant. Um, not my idea of a vacation spot (or a place to live).

Dick Hill does a pretty good job performing the audiobook. He sets a good pace and I like his voice for Penn Cage. He manages a decent teenaged Mia too, which is a bit surprising given his deep voice. But I really disliked the voice he used for Drew, who sounded whiny, cowardly and weak. No way I believed he was a big, strong man. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jun 13, 2019 |
The ending was a bit 'meh'... I kept waiting for a big 'surprise'. But well-written characters, and I like how Iles digs into the Southern psyche. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
Ok audio book but a bit slow and draggy. There is a high school girl murdered and a prominent doctor is accused. The plot thickens with drug lords, gangs, other affairs, etc. A little over the top but ok. Not really something I would recommend. Penn Cage the main character is ok but a little self righteous. ( )
  afarrington | Feb 2, 2018 |
I absolutely love Mr Iles writing style....I'm drawn into the story with such intensity that I have a very hard time that putting them down! ( )
  TiffanyHow | Oct 3, 2017 |
Society is an artificial construction, a defense against nature's power.
-Camille Paglia
The rain kept falling, swelling the creek until it lifted the girl into its muddy flood.
What's the third type of black leader? ... The prophetic leader. That's Martin, Malcolm...Ella Baker. Or James Baldwin in the intellectual sphere ... The current generation has produced no leaders of this type, much less of that caliber. I'm watching Barak Obama, but I'm not sure yet.

(FYI: This novel was written in 2005)

gregiles.com- After winning the most dangerous case of his career, prosecutor Penn Cage decides to remain in his Southern hometown to raise his young daughter in a safe haven. But nowhere is truly safe -- not from long-buried secrets, or murder....When the nude body of prep school student Kate Townsend is found near the Mississippi River, Penn's best friend, Drew Elliott, is desperate for his counsel. An esteemed family physician, Drew makes a shocking confession that could put him on death row. Penn will do all he can to exonerate Drew, but in a town where the gaze of a landmark cemetery statue -- the Turning Angel -- never looks away, Penn finds himself caught on the jagged edge of blackmail, betrayal, and deadly violence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,715,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible