Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman's…

Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman's Guide to Why Feminism Matters

by Jessica Valenti

I love the information this book provides but I hate how its presented. It would be a great book for younger readers interested in feminism because it gives a wide overview of feminism but does not delve very deep. I don't like it however, because she swears too much and I would be uncomfortable giving this to a young teenage girl. Also, I think the swearing tries to cover up what I think is poor writing and insufficient research. I might finish this book sometime but I can't seem to pick it up when there is so many good books out there! ( )
  Contusions | Dec 23, 2016 |
I've read this book twice now, because I absolutely love Valenti's style. I don't agree with everything she says, but the way she says it keeps me coming back for more. I'm currently working to get more of her books in our school library's (slightly outdated) feminist section. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
I read this for a class, it is very good and I am glad that it was assigned. I definitely recommend it for young people. A great conversation starter. ( )
  AngelaGustafson | Jan 25, 2016 |
This book is plainly aimed at women younger than myself, but it is still a great read, even though some of the slang and the extremely casual tone made it less accessible to older women. It is a full-on attack on the idea that feminism's work is done, or feminism is dead, as well as all the feminist stereotypes (hairy legs, bra-burners, ugly man-haters) that have been leveled at feminist for decades. The author attempts to reclaim the word feminism, to convince all those who start out with "I'm not a feminist but..." that they should actually claim the word feminism and embrace it. She also discusses the ways in which feminism is good for men. There are a few parts where I find her a bit smug, but it is the smugness of youth, not of self-righteousness, and for that more to be amused at than annoyed at. And she does manage to carve out a rationale for doing those things she enjoys (high heels, make-up) and remain a feminist, while ordering other women not to change their names when they marry for any reason (which is a bit much, and seems like a bit of special pleading - her issue? Yes. Other women? No.). Otherwise, a fine book. ( )
  Devil_llama | Oct 1, 2015 |
Feminism should be something young women feel comfortable with. Full Frontal Feminism is sending out the message to readers—yeah, you're feminists, and that's actually pretty frigging cool.
  OHIOCLDC | Jul 1, 2015 |

Feministing.com creator Jessica Valenti examines the state of feminism in the twenty-first century, exploring how the movement has been influenced by recent events, legislation, and individuals.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,439,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible