All by Myself by Mercer Mayer

All by Myself

by Mercer Mayer

English (15)  Spanish (1)  All languages (16)
I liked this book because of the writing. I think the writing was simplistic and would be perfect for an early reader. Each page includes just one sentence of text. For example, “I can button my overalls,” and “I can brush my fur.” This book would be ideal for a beginning reader as well as many other Mercer Mayer books. I do not think there was a strong central message of the book. I think the point of the book was to show ownership and that the character can do many things on his own without any help. It shows students (who are mainly at transition ages) that they do not need help with everything and there are many things they can do on their own. Overall, I thought it was a good book and I really did enjoy the simplicity of the text. ( )
  awalls4 | Apr 10, 2014 |
WHO didn't love, love, love Little Critter!? I was obsessed with these, but I really remember this one. He tries to be a "big boy" and do things for himself, and because he's little, he messes it all up. Classic kid's book. Loved it. Read it 300 times, i'm sure. ( )
  k8seren | Feb 6, 2014 |
This book can be used to help younger students see that they can do a lot by themselves. The students will enjoy the pictures and seeing all that they can do on their own. ( )
  Mcs018 | Nov 30, 2013 |
In this simple, sweet, and very human picture book, Mercer Mayer's popular Little Critter shows us all the things he can do by himself, from tying his shoes (almost) to pouring his own juice (and only spilling a little). The wry illustrations often point up the fact that Little Critter doesn't do everything perfectly, but he makes an effort to do the best he can.
  clwalker | Jun 13, 2012 |
Little Critter is just like my toddler daughter in thought and action. He captures the whims and imaginations of a toddler so completely, that every book that I read to her from this series is perfect for her two year old mind because it rings true. In this book, we tackle the subject of independence. Little Critter can do everything by himself - brush his fur, get his food ready, get dressed. The sentences are a repetitive pattern of "I can (various actions) all by myself." How well he can do these things by himself, well, that's another matter, and the illustrations humorously point out that his attempts aren't perfect. The ending is especially sweet, as Little Critter realizes that he can't do one thing by himself; he can't read a bed time story to himself. He needs his parents after all. The last picture show him cuddling in their arms and falling asleep. In this simple story we see the toddler's growing sense of independence that is often in conflict with their need for and dependence on their parents. I smile every time I see just how well Little Critter can do these things all by himself, and the triumphant pride on his face. Another sweet dose of childhood with lots of funny bits for parents and children. ( )
  nmhale | Jun 16, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119386, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:04 -0400)

All the many things a young child can do independently are demonstrated, (tying shoes, riding bike, kicking ball), but there is one thing one cannot do alone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,676,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible