All by Myself by Mercer Mayer

All by Myself

by Mercer Mayer

1,107247,478 (3.78)None

English (23)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
Grades: Pre-2
Theme: Encouraging independence.
  creykellums | Apr 6, 2016 |
I like this book a lot because the words and pictures are straight to the point. For example, the author writes, "I can put on my socks and tie my shoes" and shows Little Critter doing just that. This is exactly what my students need in their daly routines as they become off task when things are too wordy or too much for them to comprehend. Of couse we can reduce the wording on our own, but it is nice to have a book you don't have to do that for.
  thompsobro | Mar 10, 2016 |
Throughout the book, Critter is able to complete many tasks all by himself. He becomes proud of himself; however, he figures out that he still needs a book read to him by his parents in order to fall asleep.

Reflection: This book would be great to show students that they can complete many of their daily routines by themselves. However, it is still important to get a parents' help when help is needed.
  julie.gesinger | Mar 8, 2016 |
All by Myself by Mercer Mayer was a good book about understanding how to do things on your own. Little Critter, the main character, wakes up and does everything on his own from getting dressed, eating breakfast, and helping with chores. Things don’t always seem to go the right way for him and he realizes very quickly that even though there are things that he can do on his own, he still may need help doing them so they are done correctly without breaking anything or making a mess. I like the illustrations in the book because during every task you can see in little critter’s face whether he is struggling, accomplishing a task correctly, or knows he is being mischievous with what he is doing. I think this is a good book for young children to understand that even though they think they know how to do something, it is okay to still ask for help so they don’t make a mess or break anything in the process. ( )
  jsouth3 | Feb 15, 2016 |
This book helps to show independence stage that every child goes through. ( )
  dianamartinez | Dec 9, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119386, Paperback)

In this simple, sweet, and very human picture book, Mercer Mayer's popular Little Critter shows us all the things he can do by himself, from tying his shoes (almost) to pouring his own juice (and only spilling a little). The wry illustrations often point up the fact that Little Critter doesn't do everything perfectly, but he makes an effort to do the best he can.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:47 -0400)

All the many things a young child can do independently are demonstrated, (tying shoes, riding bike, kicking ball), but there is one thing one cannot do alone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,803,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible