The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy…

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo (2016)

by Amy Schumer

Celebrity memoirs almost always seem to promise to "bare it all" and give the reader an uncensored look at the star's life, but most only half-heartedly keep that promise. Amy Schumer, however, is not one of those stars. In her debut book, Schumer (perhaps best known for her Comedy Central sketch series or her semi-autobiographical comedy film "Trainwreck") tells the reader about the important events in her life that have shaped the woman she's become. Schumer talks at length about her dating history and her parents' divorce and subsequent marriages as well as her career as a comedian, body image and self-worth, and more. Oftentimes she writes in a lighthearted, comedic and conversational way that draws the reader in and makes you feel like you're the only one privy to this information.

Certain chapters take on a more ominious tone, such as when Schumer recounts being sexually assaulted or writes about a mass shooting that took place at a theater showing "Trainwreck." These chapters are some of the best, as they show Schumer's depth and that she is much, much more than just a talented comedian.While she does withhold some information (the names of certain ex-boyfriends, for instance), Schumer generally offers an unflinchingly honest look at her life and personal views, giving the reader exactly what they're expecting.

Dan R. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I have to admit that this book was slow to grow on me and I wasn't getting all the hype. It was just Amy doing her thing, shallow and raunchy. Then boom, she got real. And that made all the difference. Definite must read. ( )
  sydsavvy | Sep 5, 2017 |
I don't have a lot to say about this, but I think it stands up there with [b:Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?|10335308|Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)|Mindy Kaling|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1443264638s/10335308.jpg|15237902] and [b:Bossypants|9418327|Bossypants|Tina Fey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1435353775s/9418327.jpg|14302659] as examples of fun books by comedians that have a surprising amount of substance behind the humor. (Though I love Amy Poehler, [b:Yes Please|20910157|Yes Please|Amy Poehler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1402815435s/20910157.jpg|40098620] was one that fell short in that for me.) The writing is smooth and conversational, and the stories are (mostly) accessible, relatable, funny, and interesting. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |
Okay, truth is I didn't read it. I picked it up in the store and skimmed thru it about 10 minutes. Having seen bits and pieces of her 'comedy' act...mostly about various body parts...I wasn't expecting much. A brief glance confirmed it. I can't see any sober, un-stoned person liking this. ( )
  jameshold | Jul 22, 2017 |
A special thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Well colour me surprised! I actually enjoyed The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo way more than I thought I would. There were things that made me laugh, and things that moved me too. I could have done without the lists, and most certainly done with out the chapter on her stuffed animals, but other than that, I felt she was incredibly honest, and real.

She shares with readers some truly painful experiences. The way she lost her virginity was sad, horrific, and painful. Schumer was also in an abusive relationship that resulted in a few terrifying ordeals that left me feeling incredibly sad for her, but optimistic in that maybe by sharing her story, she gave someone else the courage to leave an abusive relationship. My heart went out to her when she spoke of her father's MS, but she did take things a bit too far (poop story) and this was not necessary. I could empathize when she wrote about her mother, and their volatile relationship—she has had to establish some pretty tough and firm boundaries. Many mothers and daughters walk a fine line, and I really struggle to understand why women are so cruel to other women, oftentimes this starts out with criticisms from one's mother.

I love that she is unabashedly a feminist. She is also kind, smart, and doesn't make apologies for any of her failures or shortcomings. She works hard, and is of course funny.

“I know my worth. I embrace my power. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story. I will. I’ll speak and share and fuck and love, and I will never apologize for it. I am amazing for you, not because of you. I am not who I sleep with. I am not my weight. I am not my mother. I am myself. And I am all of you." ( )
  GirlWellRead | Jul 9, 2017 |
Hey, it's me, Amy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,506,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible