I Was So Mad by Mercer Mayer

I Was So Mad (2000)

by Mercer Mayer

I would use this literature to teach character traits and problem and solution.This book can help me teach comprehension skills that can help strengthen a reader. ( )
  Spinea1 | Nov 29, 2014 |
This book from Mercer Mayer's "Little Critter" series tells the story of how Little Critter keeps trying to do things, like keeping frogs in the bathtub or playing the newly cleaned sheets, and the adults in his life keep saying NO! Little Critter lives in a pretty typical little house, much like the houses of many students which make the stories relatable, yet him being a little monster makes him funny to kids. He also has emotions just like they have -- students are told "NO' all the time, especially at school, and they can understand how frustrating it is to be told they cannot do "fun" things. This could be used in a younger classroom for a unit on emotions and how they effect students differently. A discussion question could be about different ways to calm down when they are mad and different strategies for expressing anger. ( )
  Lara.Lofdahl | Apr 1, 2014 |
“I Was So Mad” features Mercer Mayer’s famous character Little Critter. I really enjoyed this book, as it was one of my favorites as a little kid. One reason I liked this book was because of the illustrations. The book has a lot of colorful and detailed illustrations that feature not only Little Critter, but also his mom, dad, sister, grandmother and grandfather, showing a big family. On every page, Mercer Mayer drew a small gray mouse hiding somewhere, which gives the readers something to search for on each page. This is a fun way to get the readers interacting with the illustrations. Another reason I enjoyed reading this book is because Mayer does a great job at incorporating a commonly experienced childhood problem into an appealing story that isn’t too complex for his beginning readers. All children experience times when they are angry at their parents for not letting them do something, like when Little Critter wants to put frogs in the bathtub and his parents forbid him, but they have to find a way to calm down. Children can definitely learn a lot from this book. The big idea in this book is that although parents can sometimes seem mean and strict, their children are very important to them and they just want them to be happy. ( )
  apetru5 | Mar 13, 2014 |
Little Critter is having a rough day. His mom won't let him keep frogs in the bathtub, his dad won't let him play in his sister's too-small dollhouse, and his grandparents refuse to allow him to paint the house or play hide-and-seek in the clean sheets. He is just so mad about it all. After having his wishes shut down repeatedly, even though he thinks they are perfectly reasonable requests, he has had enough. Little Critter decides to run away. As he is packing, though, his friends come over to ask him to play. Little Critter decides he isn't so mad that he has to leave that day, after all.

The story and illustrations work together well to capture a child's perspective. The author never apologizes for Little Critter's irrational anger, even though the reader clearly understands why all the adults are commanding Little Critter to stop engaging in activities that have negative consequences. Instead, the story shows children that everyone gets angry, and that it is okay to experience that emotion. Also, the ending shows children that no matter how strong the anger is, it will pass. This isn't a story to teach children how to handle their anger, but to show them that anger is normal, and doesn't last forever. Children will relate to the childish antics and Little Critter's reactions, and adults can appreciate the humor and the way the pictures complement the text. Another great picture book from Little Critter's world. ( )
  nmhale | Nov 24, 2013 |
I was so Mad is a good book to have the children express their emotions. Have the children write a story about an emotion they felt.
  Hawalters | Sep 5, 2013 |
I wanted to keep some frogs in the bathtub, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119394, Paperback)

Mercer Mayer's very popular Little Critter stars in a picture book about feeling angry. With minimal text and funny illustrations to spell out every new situation, the book shows the Critter family saying no to everything Little Critter wants to do. He can't keep frogs in the tub. He can't help paint the house. Finally, mad at the world, Little Critter announces he will run away. When pals come by and ask him to come and play baseball, our young hero's mood quickly changes. He grabs his bat and heads off for the game, telling himself he can run away another day if he is still so mad.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:11 -0400)

A child tries a variety of ways to dissolve anger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible