I Was So Mad by Mercer Mayer

I Was So Mad (2000)

by Mercer Mayer

Somehow I never minded reading these over and over again to my kids. I guess because LC is just a little naughty/ impulsive, but also lovable, w/good intentions. Something like Ramona Quimby, Clementine, and my kids. This was one of our favorites. Kids get angry. And 'mad' is a perfectly fine word, because, in a sense, they do go crazy - they don't have fully developed coping skills and aren't in control when they're angry. Don't expect them to be able to control themselves as well as you (hope that) you yourself do. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In this book a little boy critter becomes angry when he's not allowed to do what he wants. He tells how mad he is and how he is going to run away, but his friends come by and he's finally allowed to do something he wants to do. I like that the boy is able to tell about his anger. I don't think we allow children to vent their emotions enough. This book helps with anger issues.
  jdhaynes | Feb 12, 2015 |
I would use this literature to teach character traits and problem and solution.This book can help me teach comprehension skills that can help strengthen a reader. ( )
  Spinea1 | Nov 29, 2014 |
This book from Mercer Mayer's "Little Critter" series tells the story of how Little Critter keeps trying to do things, like keeping frogs in the bathtub or playing the newly cleaned sheets, and the adults in his life keep saying NO! Little Critter lives in a pretty typical little house, much like the houses of many students which make the stories relatable, yet him being a little monster makes him funny to kids. He also has emotions just like they have -- students are told "NO' all the time, especially at school, and they can understand how frustrating it is to be told they cannot do "fun" things. This could be used in a younger classroom for a unit on emotions and how they effect students differently. A discussion question could be about different ways to calm down when they are mad and different strategies for expressing anger. ( )
  Lara.Lofdahl | Apr 1, 2014 |
“I Was So Mad” features Mercer Mayer’s famous character Little Critter. I really enjoyed this book, as it was one of my favorites as a little kid. One reason I liked this book was because of the illustrations. The book has a lot of colorful and detailed illustrations that feature not only Little Critter, but also his mom, dad, sister, grandmother and grandfather, showing a big family. On every page, Mercer Mayer drew a small gray mouse hiding somewhere, which gives the readers something to search for on each page. This is a fun way to get the readers interacting with the illustrations. Another reason I enjoyed reading this book is because Mayer does a great job at incorporating a commonly experienced childhood problem into an appealing story that isn’t too complex for his beginning readers. All children experience times when they are angry at their parents for not letting them do something, like when Little Critter wants to put frogs in the bathtub and his parents forbid him, but they have to find a way to calm down. Children can definitely learn a lot from this book. The big idea in this book is that although parents can sometimes seem mean and strict, their children are very important to them and they just want them to be happy. ( )
  apetru5 | Mar 13, 2014 |
I wanted to keep some frogs in the bathtub, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119394, Paperback)

Mercer Mayer's very popular Little Critter stars in a picture book about feeling angry. With minimal text and funny illustrations to spell out every new situation, the book shows the Critter family saying no to everything Little Critter wants to do. He can't keep frogs in the tub. He can't help paint the house. Finally, mad at the world, Little Critter announces he will run away. When pals come by and ask him to come and play baseball, our young hero's mood quickly changes. He grabs his bat and heads off for the game, telling himself he can run away another day if he is still so mad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

A child tries a variety of ways to dissolve anger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,927,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible