I Was So Mad by Mercer Mayer

I Was So Mad (2000)

by Mercer Mayer

Young kids often want to help out. This is a good book for working though being helpful the way adults find kids to be helpful and how kids might want to try to be helpful.

For helping kids work through feeling of being mad and possibly frustrated.
  Erica.Ward | Feb 8, 2016 |
Little Critter books were awesome when i was little. they are great to help teach students manners. ( )
  dianamartinez | Dec 9, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for a variety of reasons. The illustrations in this story are very detailed. These detailed illustrations added humor and little features which are not found from reading the text alone. The illustrations highlight the emotions that each character is experiencing better than the text alone does. In addition, I liked that this book had a plot that was easy for children to relate to. Children often experience times when they are mad at their parents for not letting them do things they want to do. Little Critter experiences this repeatedly throughout the book such as when he wants to put frogs in the bathtub or paint the side of the house. The main idea is that you can’t always get everything that you want. This is sometimes a hard message for children to grasp. In the story, Little Critter got frustrated with his parents when they repeatedly told him no but in the end he got to play with his friends which is what he wanted to do most of all. ( )
  KerryMcLaughlin | Oct 28, 2015 |
Somehow I never minded reading these over and over again to my kids. I guess because LC is just a little naughty/ impulsive, but also lovable, w/good intentions. Something like Ramona Quimby, Clementine, and my kids. This was one of our favorites. Kids get angry. And 'mad' is a perfectly fine word, because, in a sense, they do go crazy - they don't have fully developed coping skills and aren't in control when they're angry. Don't expect them to be able to control themselves as well as you (hope that) you yourself do. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In this book a little boy critter becomes angry when he's not allowed to do what he wants. He tells how mad he is and how he is going to run away, but his friends come by and he's finally allowed to do something he wants to do. I like that the boy is able to tell about his anger. I don't think we allow children to vent their emotions enough. This book helps with anger issues.
  jdhaynes | Feb 12, 2015 |
I wanted to keep some frogs in the bathtub, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119394, Paperback)

Mercer Mayer's very popular Little Critter stars in a picture book about feeling angry. With minimal text and funny illustrations to spell out every new situation, the book shows the Critter family saying no to everything Little Critter wants to do. He can't keep frogs in the tub. He can't help paint the house. Finally, mad at the world, Little Critter announces he will run away. When pals come by and ask him to come and play baseball, our young hero's mood quickly changes. He grabs his bat and heads off for the game, telling himself he can run away another day if he is still so mad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

A child tries a variety of ways to dissolve anger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible