May I Bring a Friend? by Beatrice de…

May I Bring a Friend? (1964)

by Beatrice de Regniers, Beni Montresor (Illustrator)

Such a cute book! May I Bring A Friend? is about a little boy who got an invitation to parties from the king and queen and each time before he come he would ask them if he can bring a friend and each time he would bring a different animal. These are not the usual house pets, but instead he would bring the exotic one such as a group of monkey, an elephant, and even a tiger! The king and queen was wondering where did found all these wild animals! My favorite scene from the book is when he brought an elephant to the king and queen tea party. When they saw the elephant and said "I don't know where your friend can sit down." They ended up sitting on his friend. I thought that each scene was so witty and funny. I especially love the ending when the boy invited the king and queen to his party with his friends instead and they ended up having tea with him ad his animal friends at the city zoo. ( )
  tramtran | Feb 27, 2015 |
This delightful work of poetry follows a young boy who is invited to spend part of his day with the King and the Queen for six whole days. Each day the King and Queen ask the boy to visit the boy makes a request of his own - he wishes to bring along a friend each day. His friends consist of hippos, lions, monkeys, giraffes, and other such large and generally untamed creatures - some of whom act just so. However, the King and Queen seem to enjoy themselves as they attend on the seventh day, a tea party with all of the little boy's friends at the local zoo. ( )
  Miss_Annie_O | Feb 9, 2015 |
Summary:
A king and queen kept inviting a boy over for tea. Each time he would bring different guests. Each time the guests were animals. In the end, the king, queen, and child finally went and had tea at the zoo because the animals invited them, therefore, they would have all of the animals there at the same time.

Personal Reaction:
Personally, I felt that this book was repetitive and lacked a good moral to the story. The rhymes were beneficial in teaching children and I wonder if that was the reason behind the Caldecott award!
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. The class could have an actual tea party.
2. I could set up the classroom in order to have a “formal lunch”. I could ask the cook to prepare a “special meal” while the children and I all dressed up. We could all dine and talk formally about them. ( )
  roni.rawlins | Sep 17, 2014 |
A cute story about a kind and queen who invites a friend over for events, and the friend brings other friends. I guess the moral of the story is the more the merrier, which I completely agree with.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
Summary:
A king and queen invites a boy over for tea, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and apple pie. For each day, the little asks to bring a friend, to which the king and queen happily allow. Each page features an illustration of an animal that the little boy is bringing to meet the king and queen.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this children's book from cover to cover. The illustrations complemented the rhymes on each page very well. A great work of fiction for any child to read. ( )
  cclark37 | Sep 2, 2014 |

Beatrice de Regniersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montresor, BeniIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my friend Tammy
To Maria and Angelo
The King and Queen invited me to come to their house on Sunday for tea.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689713533, Paperback)

The King and Queen are most gracious hosts to a certain little boy--and any friend of his is a friend of theirs. When he brings a giraffe to tea, the King doesn't blink an eye and says, "Hello. How do you do?" and the Queen merely exclaims, "Well! Fancy meeting you!" The royal pair continue to invite the boy as their guest for tea, breakfast, lunch, dinner, apple pie, and Halloween, and each time he politely asks if he can bring a friend, waits for their assent, then brings a hippo, monkeys, an elephant, and once even a pride of lions into their elegant home. Beatrice Schenk De Regniers's gentle, repetitive, rhyming story, with the refrain "So I brought my friend," will resonate with young children, who will be pleased to see the well-behaved wild animals wreaking harmless havoc in the palace, and soothed by the unfalteringly open arms and perpetual politesse of the King and Queen. Beni Montresor's distinctive, inky, richly colored drawings earned this book a Caldecott Medal in 1965, and have won the hearts of children ever since. (Ages 3 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:38 -0400)

A well-mannered little boy has permission to bring his animal friends to visit the king and queen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,997,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible