May I Bring a Friend? by Beatrice de…

May I Bring a Friend? (1964)

by Beatrice de Regniers, Beni Montresor (Illustrator)

In this book it was about a king and queen who invited their friend over everyday. The friend they always invited always had a friend he wanted to bring. The king and queen always agreed to let him bring his friend or friends that day. The boy brought a different animal everyday, but on the last day he took the king and queen to the city zoo to have tea at the animals home. While I was reading this book it was somewhat of a tongue twister for me. The book kept you guessing as to which animal friend he would bring next. An extension to this book could be that the following week that each animal he brought with him to the king an queen's house could send the king and queen an invite to come to the animals zoo and do their favorite thing. Another extension could be that the king and queen wrote a letter to the zoo's owner and say they enjoyed their company so much that they would like the animals to come live with them.
  hollym0714 | Sep 19, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for a multitude of reasons. First, the author’s use of repetition throughout the book gives the story a clear rhythm and sense of predictability. This makes it easy for the reader to follow along with the plot of the story. For instance, a little boy is invited to the king and queen’s palace every Sunday for tea. Each time before he goes to tea he asks the king and queen if he “may bring a friend.” Each time he arrives to tea he brings a different animal friend with him. This is process is repeated multiple times throughout the book until the end. The last Sunday he goes over for tea the king and queen decide to take the boy to the zoo instead so they can have tea with all of the animals. Another reason I enjoyed this book is because of the interesting color scheme of the illustrations. Similar to the text, the color scheme of the illustrations appeared to follow a pattern. For example, the illustrations on the pages with just the king and queen in their palace were only black and white. However, each time the little boy would first arrive at the palace with his new animal friend the illustration would be multicolored. Also, when everyone was drinking tea in the palace the illustration would be one color. The overall message of this book is to be polite and welcoming. When the little boy was polite and respectful to the king and queen when asking to bring a friend they responded graciously. In return for being welcoming the king and queen made many new friends and memories. ( )
  KerryMcLaughlin | Sep 16, 2015 |
Such a cute book! May I Bring A Friend? is about a little boy who got an invitation to parties from the king and queen and each time before he come he would ask them if he can bring a friend and each time he would bring a different animal. These are not the usual house pets, but instead he would bring the exotic one such as a group of monkey, an elephant, and even a tiger! The king and queen was wondering where did found all these wild animals! My favorite scene from the book is when he brought an elephant to the king and queen tea party. When they saw the elephant and said "I don't know where your friend can sit down." They ended up sitting on his friend. I thought that each scene was so witty and funny. I especially love the ending when the boy invited the king and queen to his party with his friends instead and they ended up having tea with him ad his animal friends at the city zoo. ( )
  tramtran | Feb 27, 2015 |
This delightful work of poetry follows a young boy who is invited to spend part of his day with the King and the Queen for six whole days. Each day the King and Queen ask the boy to visit the boy makes a request of his own - he wishes to bring along a friend each day. His friends consist of hippos, lions, monkeys, giraffes, and other such large and generally untamed creatures - some of whom act just so. However, the King and Queen seem to enjoy themselves as they attend on the seventh day, a tea party with all of the little boy's friends at the local zoo. ( )
  Miss_Annie_O | Feb 9, 2015 |
A king and queen kept inviting a boy over for tea. Each time he would bring different guests. Each time the guests were animals. In the end, the king, queen, and child finally went and had tea at the zoo because the animals invited them, therefore, they would have all of the animals there at the same time.

Personal Reaction:
Personally, I felt that this book was repetitive and lacked a good moral to the story. The rhymes were beneficial in teaching children and I wonder if that was the reason behind the Caldecott award!
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. The class could have an actual tea party.
2. I could set up the classroom in order to have a “formal lunch”. I could ask the cook to prepare a “special meal” while the children and I all dressed up. We could all dine and talk formally about them. ( )
  roni.rawlins | Sep 17, 2014 |

Beatrice de Regniersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montresor, BeniIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my friend Tammy
To Maria and Angelo
The King and Queen invited me to come to their house on Sunday for tea.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689713533, Paperback)

The King and Queen are most gracious hosts to a certain little boy--and any friend of his is a friend of theirs. When he brings a giraffe to tea, the King doesn't blink an eye and says, "Hello. How do you do?" and the Queen merely exclaims, "Well! Fancy meeting you!" The royal pair continue to invite the boy as their guest for tea, breakfast, lunch, dinner, apple pie, and Halloween, and each time he politely asks if he can bring a friend, waits for their assent, then brings a hippo, monkeys, an elephant, and once even a pride of lions into their elegant home. Beatrice Schenk De Regniers's gentle, repetitive, rhyming story, with the refrain "So I brought my friend," will resonate with young children, who will be pleased to see the well-behaved wild animals wreaking harmless havoc in the palace, and soothed by the unfalteringly open arms and perpetual politesse of the King and Queen. Beni Montresor's distinctive, inky, richly colored drawings earned this book a Caldecott Medal in 1965, and have won the hearts of children ever since. (Ages 3 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:38 -0400)

A well-mannered little boy has permission to bring his animal friends to visit the king and queen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,722,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible