May I Bring a Friend? by Beatrice de…

May I Bring a Friend? (1964)

by Beatrice de Regniers, Beni Montresor (Illustrator)

Summary:
A king and queen kept inviting a boy over for tea. Each time he would bring different guests. Each time the guests were animals. In the end, the king, queen, and child finally went and had tea at the zoo because the animals invited them, therefore, they would have all of the animals there at the same time.

Personal Reaction:
Personally, I felt that this book was repetitive and lacked a good moral to the story. The rhymes were beneficial in teaching children and I wonder if that was the reason behind the Caldecott award!
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. The class could have an actual tea party.
2. I could set up the classroom in order to have a “formal lunch”. I could ask the cook to prepare a “special meal” while the children and I all dressed up. We could all dine and talk formally about them. ( )
  roni.rawlins | Sep 17, 2014 |
A cute story about a kind and queen who invites a friend over for events, and the friend brings other friends. I guess the moral of the story is the more the merrier, which I completely agree with.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
Summary:
A king and queen invites a boy over for tea, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and apple pie. For each day, the little asks to bring a friend, to which the king and queen happily allow. Each page features an illustration of an animal that the little boy is bringing to meet the king and queen.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this children's book from cover to cover. The illustrations complemented the rhymes on each page very well. A great work of fiction for any child to read. ( )
  cclark37 | Sep 2, 2014 |
caldecott winner 1965, small boy receives invites to dine with King and Queen. He asks to invite along some friends to which the King and Queen always agree.
  bp0128bd | Jan 24, 2014 |
This book was an interesting read. I can't believe that the king and queen allowed this kid to bring animals to their house. He literally brought the entire zoo! ( )
  aalkurd | Sep 15, 2013 |

Beatrice de Regniersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montresor, BeniIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my friend Tammy
To Maria and Angelo
The King and Queen invited me to come to their house on Sunday for tea.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689713533, Paperback)

The King and Queen are most gracious hosts to a certain little boy--and any friend of his is a friend of theirs. When he brings a giraffe to tea, the King doesn't blink an eye and says, "Hello. How do you do?" and the Queen merely exclaims, "Well! Fancy meeting you!" The royal pair continue to invite the boy as their guest for tea, breakfast, lunch, dinner, apple pie, and Halloween, and each time he politely asks if he can bring a friend, waits for their assent, then brings a hippo, monkeys, an elephant, and once even a pride of lions into their elegant home. Beatrice Schenk De Regniers's gentle, repetitive, rhyming story, with the refrain "So I brought my friend," will resonate with young children, who will be pleased to see the well-behaved wild animals wreaking harmless havoc in the palace, and soothed by the unfalteringly open arms and perpetual politesse of the King and Queen. Beni Montresor's distinctive, inky, richly colored drawings earned this book a Caldecott Medal in 1965, and have won the hearts of children ever since. (Ages 3 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:16 -0400)

A well-mannered little boy has permission to bring his animal friends to visit the king and queen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible