May I Bring a Friend? by Beatrice Schenk De…

May I Bring a Friend? (original 1964; edition 1972)

by Beatrice Schenk De Regniers

Member:chevrefeuille
Title:May I Bring a Friend?
Authors:Beatrice Schenk De Regniers
Info:Puffin Books (1972),44 pages
Tags:1970's, award, juv, dj, pen-ink, picturebook, pink, read

May I Bring a Friend? by Beatrice de Regniers (1964)

This Caldecott winner does not disappoint. Although the medium of art is unclear, whatever it is allows for a great attention to detail and brilliant colors which really enhance the book experience. "May I Bring a Friend?" is the fun story of what happens when a young boy is invited over by a king and queen and he asks if he can bring along a friend. To the both the King and Queen's and the reader's amusement, all of the young boys friends just happen to be zoo animals. Of course, a bit of chaos ensues, and the illustrations help readers experience all of it. There's no surprise that this book is an illustration award winner. ( )
  tmoore3 | Jan 28, 2016 |
In this story the King and the Queen invite this young boy to come eat with them. Each time he asks them if he can bring a friend. Every single time they invite him, he brings a different animal. At the end of the story since they were so kind to all of the animals, the animals want to invite the King and Queen over for lunch. As it turns out the lunch was at the Zoo! I think this story is great because it can introduce kids to rhyming and all kinds of different animals. This is definitely a book I would like to have in my classroom. ( )
  Paigealyssa | Jan 17, 2016 |
33 months - I'm kind of surprised this is a Caldecott Medal winner. It's a nice story I just wasn't blown away by it. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
In this book it was about a king and queen who invited their friend over everyday. The friend they always invited always had a friend he wanted to bring. The king and queen always agreed to let him bring his friend or friends that day. The boy brought a different animal everyday, but on the last day he took the king and queen to the city zoo to have tea at the animals home. While I was reading this book it was somewhat of a tongue twister for me. The book kept you guessing as to which animal friend he would bring next. An extension to this book could be that the following week that each animal he brought with him to the king an queen's house could send the king and queen an invite to come to the animals zoo and do their favorite thing. Another extension could be that the king and queen wrote a letter to the zoo's owner and say they enjoyed their company so much that they would like the animals to come live with them. ( )
  hollym0714 | Sep 19, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for a multitude of reasons. First, the author’s use of repetition throughout the book gives the story a clear rhythm and sense of predictability. This makes it easy for the reader to follow along with the plot of the story. For instance, a little boy is invited to the king and queen’s palace every Sunday for tea. Each time before he goes to tea he asks the king and queen if he “may bring a friend.” Each time he arrives to tea he brings a different animal friend with him. This is process is repeated multiple times throughout the book until the end. The last Sunday he goes over for tea the king and queen decide to take the boy to the zoo instead so they can have tea with all of the animals. Another reason I enjoyed this book is because of the interesting color scheme of the illustrations. Similar to the text, the color scheme of the illustrations appeared to follow a pattern. For example, the illustrations on the pages with just the king and queen in their palace were only black and white. However, each time the little boy would first arrive at the palace with his new animal friend the illustration would be multicolored. Also, when everyone was drinking tea in the palace the illustration would be one color. The overall message of this book is to be polite and welcoming. When the little boy was polite and respectful to the king and queen when asking to bring a friend they responded graciously. In return for being welcoming the king and queen made many new friends and memories. ( )
  KerryMcLaughlin | Sep 16, 2015 |

Beatrice de Regniersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montresor, BeniIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my friend Tammy
To Maria and Angelo
The King and Queen invited me to come to their house on Sunday for tea.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689713533, Paperback)

The King and Queen are most gracious hosts to a certain little boy--and any friend of his is a friend of theirs. When he brings a giraffe to tea, the King doesn't blink an eye and says, "Hello. How do you do?" and the Queen merely exclaims, "Well! Fancy meeting you!" The royal pair continue to invite the boy as their guest for tea, breakfast, lunch, dinner, apple pie, and Halloween, and each time he politely asks if he can bring a friend, waits for their assent, then brings a hippo, monkeys, an elephant, and once even a pride of lions into their elegant home. Beatrice Schenk De Regniers's gentle, repetitive, rhyming story, with the refrain "So I brought my friend," will resonate with young children, who will be pleased to see the well-behaved wild animals wreaking harmless havoc in the palace, and soothed by the unfalteringly open arms and perpetual politesse of the King and Queen. Beni Montresor's distinctive, inky, richly colored drawings earned this book a Caldecott Medal in 1965, and have won the hearts of children ever since. (Ages 3 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:38 -0400)

A well-mannered little boy has permission to bring his animal friends to visit the king and queen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,145,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible