May I Bring a Friend? by Beatrice Schenk De…

May I Bring a Friend? (original 1964; edition 1972)

by Beatrice Schenk De Regniers

Member:chevrefeuille
Title:May I Bring a Friend?
Authors:Beatrice Schenk De Regniers
Info:Puffin Books (1972),44 pages
Tags:1970's, award, juv, dj, pen-ink, picturebook, pink, read

May I Bring a Friend? by Beatrice de Regniers (1964)

I dunno. I never could read this aloud effectively - the meter doesn't scan, or whatever a poet would say. And I never liked the illustrations, either, even when I was a kid. I just discovered one of the Honor books for that Caldecott year, [b:Rain Makes Applesauce|1235078|Rain Makes Applesauce|Julian Scheer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1392443915s/1235078.jpg|1223702], and I much prefer that. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I liked this book, "May I Bring a Friend," for several reasons. First, I liked the language in the book. The poetry and repetition allows the reader to make predictions. The poetry rhyming scheme is ABCB. For example, "I told the Queen, And the Queen told the king, I had a friend, I wanted to bring." Also, the book has a repetition because the boy asked over and over if he can bring a friend, and it is a different friend. Second, I like the main character. The main character, the young boy, uses his imagination to bring different animals to the King and Queen's house. This shows elementary school readers how to use their imagination. For example, the boy brings an elephants, a seal, a hippo, etc. The main idea of this story is to always include someone. In this case, the King and Queen do not have anywhere to seat his elephant so they accommodate and they sit on the elephant. The book teaches readers to be accommodating and friendly. ( )
  lducke3 | Feb 22, 2016 |
This Caldecott winner does not disappoint. Although the medium of art is unclear, whatever it is allows for a great attention to detail and brilliant colors which really enhance the book experience. "May I Bring a Friend?" is the fun story of what happens when a young boy is invited over by a king and queen and he asks if he can bring along a friend. To the both the King and Queen's and the reader's amusement, all of the young boys friends just happen to be zoo animals. Of course, a bit of chaos ensues, and the illustrations help readers experience all of it. There's no surprise that this book is an illustration award winner. ( )
  tmoore3 | Jan 28, 2016 |
In this story the King and the Queen invite this young boy to come eat with them. Each time he asks them if he can bring a friend. Every single time they invite him, he brings a different animal. At the end of the story since they were so kind to all of the animals, the animals want to invite the King and Queen over for lunch. As it turns out the lunch was at the Zoo! I think this story is great because it can introduce kids to rhyming and all kinds of different animals. This is definitely a book I would like to have in my classroom. ( )
  Paigealyssa | Jan 17, 2016 |
33 months - I'm kind of surprised this is a Caldecott Medal winner. It's a nice story I just wasn't blown away by it. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |

Beatrice de Regniersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montresor, BeniIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my friend Tammy
To Maria and Angelo
The King and Queen invited me to come to their house on Sunday for tea.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689713533, Paperback)

The King and Queen are most gracious hosts to a certain little boy--and any friend of his is a friend of theirs. When he brings a giraffe to tea, the King doesn't blink an eye and says, "Hello. How do you do?" and the Queen merely exclaims, "Well! Fancy meeting you!" The royal pair continue to invite the boy as their guest for tea, breakfast, lunch, dinner, apple pie, and Halloween, and each time he politely asks if he can bring a friend, waits for their assent, then brings a hippo, monkeys, an elephant, and once even a pride of lions into their elegant home. Beatrice Schenk De Regniers's gentle, repetitive, rhyming story, with the refrain "So I brought my friend," will resonate with young children, who will be pleased to see the well-behaved wild animals wreaking harmless havoc in the palace, and soothed by the unfalteringly open arms and perpetual politesse of the King and Queen. Beni Montresor's distinctive, inky, richly colored drawings earned this book a Caldecott Medal in 1965, and have won the hearts of children ever since. (Ages 3 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:38 -0400)

A well-mannered little boy has permission to bring his animal friends to visit the king and queen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,721,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible