Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? by…

Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?

by Bill Martin, Jr.

Other authors: Eric Carle (Illustrator)

Series: Brown Bear and Friends (book 3)

I love the illustrations in this book of all the endangered animals--they are gorgeous and make reading it to my son a real pleasure. I even learned about a new animal via this book, the macaroni penguin, which I had to look up the first time I read it. I think this is a great addition to a child's library. ( )
  sturlington | Oct 19, 2014 |
“Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?” by Bill Martin Jr. is a fantastic children’s book. The language that Martin uses follows a pattern that is easy for children to follow and/or read. Every page follows the pattern of saying the animal’s name twice followed by the phrase, “What do you see?” followed by the phrase, “I see a…” What changes in the second sentence, are the animals and how the animals move. For example Martin has a bald eagle soaring, a water buffalo charging, and a macaroni penguin strutting. The illustrations that were done by Eric Carle are also beautiful. They are big, bright, and colorful. Each animal takes up two pages and the illustrations of the animal spans both pages. Carle’s illustration follow his normal style of using his oil paintings cut out and pasted together to create images. The simple imaging compliments the simplicity of Martin’s writing perfectly. The overall idea of this book is to teach children to read, inform children of different animals that exist, and entertain children. ( )
  cduke3 | Oct 16, 2014 |
Summary: This book is a repetitive book. The book is always repeating "What do you see?" and then it throws in another animal. I like seeing the different animals and how there is a different shape that represents the animals.
Personal Experience: This book gets stuck in my head after i read it. Its such a repetitive book that i love reading it.
PErsonal Reflection: I could have the students look through the book and discuss what shapes there are. I could have them create their own animal jusgt using shapes.
  atinney16 | Jul 7, 2014 |
Bill Martin exposes us to different animals and what they are doing. We see a bald eagle soaring, a spider monkey swinging, a macaroni penguin strutting, etc. The text uses the format, " (Animal, animal), what do you see? I see a (animal) (verb+ing) by me.
  teacher1267 | Mar 11, 2014 |
the panda bear sees different animals
  rhoyte9464 | Mar 2, 2014 |

Bill Martin, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carle, EricIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Translation = ?Panda, Panda, what you see there? ?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805017585, Hardcover)

Fans of Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle's Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? will be delighted to see another title in this lilting call and response series. Much like their earlier picture books, Panda Bear features a string of fine feathered (and furry and scaly) friends watching over each other. In this book, however, all the animals are endangered, from a swinging spider monkey to a strutting macaroni penguin (kids will get a kick out of that name!) to a splashing sea lion. Carle’s trademark tissue paper collages will be as familiar--and welcome--as the text ("Whooping Crane, Whooping Crane, what do you see?" "I see a black panther strolling by me."); young readers will quickly get the hang of the rhythm and join right in. The book concludes on a hopeful note, with a dreaming child seeing the ten f! eatured animals "all wild and free--/ that’s what I see!" Martin includes a note on endangered species that may spark concern and interest in older readers--our hope for these disappearing creatures. (Ages 3 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:21 -0400)

Illustrations and rhyming text present ten different endangered animals.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,407,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible