Looks to Die For by Janice Kaplan

Looks to Die For

by Janice Kaplan

I'm wondering if this was a debut.

*checks* Yup. Why am I not surprised?

Honestly, I cut debutant authors some slack, because even as a reader, and avid journal writer, I know that it takes time to get comfortable with your writing. And that's why most authors first few books are disappointing, to say the least.

However, I wasn't expecting much from this book. How can it still disappoint me? Hmm. Maybe I deceived myself.

The things that annoyed me about this book (Yup, you can check, it's on my 'Abandoned' shelf- I read more than half of it then skipped to the end)

Forgot-her-name's husband has been arrested for murder, yet all she can talk about is the colour of her clothes and her nail polish. There is tooo much nail dropping, and I can understand that the author's background makes it impossible to avoid- but seriously? Which person would consider if she should stop at Neiman Marcus to buy a lace camisole to look sexy while interviewing a pervert suspect?

Well, even with her 'professional' silk pantsuit, she ends up with a dog collar around her neck

Man, the depths that this lady provoked me to. And her daughter is a brat. Honestly. If my kid was telling me 'I hate you' when her father had been arrested, I would certainly do something other than blame myself for it. I mean, how does that even make sense?

We seriously need books where heroines are NOT the only ones expected to be a fucking doormat. Nurturers or not.

The family in this book reminded me of a very artificial family, where everything is perfect on the outside, but all kinds of fucked up inside. Coming from a loving family, it irritated me to see *forgot-her-name* commenting that her kissing her son goodnight on the forehead didn't embarrass him. Seriously?

Woah. Writing and characters could do with a LOT of improvement. Still, debut book gets a pass. Her next one better be jolly better than this, is all I'm saying. Or else?

'Abandoned'. Without a qualm. ( )
  Jey_13 | Jul 4, 2013 |

"As the wife of a prominent Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, a dedicated mother of three, an absolutely fabulous decorator to the stars, Lacy Fields is stunned to the tips of her Chanel-manicured toes the night the police barge into her house and haul her husband off in handcuffs. With her handsome Dan accused of murdering a young wannabe actress named Tasha Barlow, Lacy turns her talent from tracking down priceless antique furniture to chasing a clever killer." "Lacy is sure her husband has been wrongly accused - but how to explain his mysterious behavior? Known as the Saint of Hollywood for his skill with a scalpel, Dan seems to be keeping a secret or two. Still Lacy won't lose her faith or her determination to find the real murderer." "With her best friend Molly Archer, a hot L.A. casting agent, at her side, Lacy tracks suspects ranging from a sleazy network TV star to an advertising exec who shoots Super Bowl commercials set on the moon. Is Tasha's loyal hometown friend really an enemy? Did an ex-con from her past return to destroy Tasha's new life? Lacy fields will stop at nothing to protect her family - whether it's searching for the person who framed her husband or keeping the black hair dye away from her fourteen-year-old daughter."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible