Listening at the Gate by Betsy James

Listening at the Gate

by Betsy James

I'm honestly not certain how to rate this one. I think James has a way with words and her writing is quite beautiful, however, sometimes the main character, Kat, drove me up the wall with her brash impulsiveness and the way in which she sometimes treated Nall as a possession instead of a person (when she practically had a knock-down, drag-out fight with another girl over the poor man, I nearly threw the book across the room). And while we are on the subject of Nall, I feel as if I hardly got to know him, perhaps because he was dealing with some heady issues throughout the majority of the book, and he seems like the type to go into his own head during times like these and seems to struggle with verbalizing exactly what he is experiencing.

It wasn't until practically the end of the book that the pair of them finally got their act together and that only after other characters practically head-slapped them into an understanding of how things ought to be between them. Was it too little, too late for me? I don't rightly know and it might take a second reading for me to figure that out. The question is, do I want to go through this all over again? Time will tell.
  Cailiosa | Apr 5, 2013 |
Beautifully written fantasy novel that weaves ancient seal myths with elements of dystopian vision. I didn't realize this was the 3rd book of a trilogy- it stands alone very well. Characters are fully realized and interesting. The taut plot sucked me in fully, and I really enjoyed the ride. Recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Nowhere near as good as the first two "Seeker Chronicles" books. Still a FANTASTIC series though!!! ( )
  FutureMrsJoshGroban | Nov 14, 2010 |
Better than book 2. ( )
  WillaCather | Mar 21, 2007 |

JOURNEY TO THE EDGE OF THE WORLD...

In her father's village Kat is scorned for her fiery red hair, the legacy of her father's shameful marriage to a native woman. Her only true home is with Nall, a man who appeared to her from the depths of the sea, an outsider too.

Now a war is breaking out, and Kat's beloved brother, Dai, is taken prisoner. Kat realizes that the only way she can save him is to join Nall on a dangerous quest that will take them to the last boundary of all -- the Gate where the world was born. It is during this journey that Kat must confront not only the earthly battle that is tearing her world apart, but the struggle within herself and with the man she loves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

After seventeen-year-old Kat leaves the Creek home of her mother's sister, she returns to Downshore and becomes embroiled in upheaval there and in the land of the Rigi, as well as in Nall's quest to go to the Gate.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible