Let Me Sing You Gentle Songs by Linda Olsson

Let Me Sing You Gentle Songs (2005)

by Linda Olsson

English (66)  Norwegian (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All (80)
I normally avoid books in which children suffer and die. I wish I had avoided this one (it was a selection for my book club). The friendship between the two women was very well done, and it was the main emphasis of the story. I just have a strong reaction to some of the events in the women's back stories. ( )
  iBeth | Oct 16, 2016 |
As a kiwi living in Sweden, I read this with a lot of interest. I think I damaged it with my own overly high expectations, but it was a good read. Possibly even a 4, if I hadn't gone in expecting so much from it.

Having re-read it in english, I think it suffers for it (I agree with some other reviewers, the dialogue is a little clunky.)

Not much to say really, chick lit is not really my genre, and I have little to compare it to. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
This is a beautiful, gentle story about two women struggling with their pasts and the friendship they formed. Loved it. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 4, 2016 |
What a beautifully written book! She "paints the landscape of friendship." I cried - ever so softly - at the end. So tender and loving. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 15, 2016 |
Amazing descriptions. Great at capturing the moment with the look and feel. Vivid word pictures. ( )
1 vote nx74defiant | Jan 23, 2016 |

Linda Olssonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holst, LisbetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I drift around my rooms and write to shadows, thinking as I always did, that writing only can make peace, can right and heal that which a life made sordid. - Bo Bergman, Somnlos' (Sleepless) in Aventyret (The adventure) 1969
Fir Anna-Lisa, my grandmother, my friend
There had been wind and drifting snow during her journey, but as darkness fell, the wind died and the snow settled.

With extraordinary emotional power, Linda Olsson’s stunningly well-crafted debut novel recounts the unusual and unexpected friendship that develops between two women. Veronika, a young writer from New Zealand, rents a house in a small Swedish village as she tries to come to terms with a recent tragedy while also finishing a novel. Her arrival is silently observed by Astrid, an older, reclusive neighbor who slowly becomes a presence in Veronika’s life, offering comfort in the form of companionship and lovingly prepared home-cooked meals. Set against a haunting Swedish landscape, Astrid & Veronika is a lyrical and meditative novel of love and loss, and a story that will remain with readers long after the characters’ secrets are revealed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

Olsson leads us through the flowering but unusual and tender friendship of Veronica and Astrid, as they slowly and carefully reveal their life histories and sometimes heart-rending pasts. A stunning first novel by a new writer with genuine talent.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,014,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible