Let Me Sing You Gentle Songs by Linda Olsson

Let Me Sing You Gentle Songs (2005)

by Linda Olsson

English (62)  Norwegian (4)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (75)
What a beautifully written book! She "paints the landscape of friendship." I cried - ever so softly - at the end. So tender and loving. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 15, 2016 |
Amazing descriptions. Great at capturing the moment with the look and feel. Vivid word pictures. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 23, 2016 |
Summary:
With extraordinary emotional power, Linda Olsson's stunningly well-crafted debut novel recounts the unusual and unexpected friendship that develops between two women. Veronika, a young writer, rents a house in a small Swedish village as she tries to come to terms with a recent tragedy while also finishing a novel. Her arrival is silently observed by Astrid, an older, reclusive neighbor who slowly becomes a presence in Veronika's life, offering comfort in the form of companionship and lovingly prepared home-cooked meals. Set against a haunting Swedish landscape, Astrid & Veronika is a lyrical and meditative novel of love and loss, and a story that will remain with readers long after the characters' secrets are revealed.

My take: 4 looks

This was a beautifully written book. Full of description, character development and emotion, it depended solely on the movement of the characters and environment rather than action.

Two women from very different backgrounds, generations, experiences and lifestyles come together one season and forever change one another's lives.

Astrid is poignant, funny, witty, and completely endearing. The story tells of her childhood, relationships with her parents, marriage and solitary later life. Veronika is a world-traveler with close ties to her father and a lifetime ahead of her. Events bringing these two women together are completely random, yet very serendipitous.

So beautiful, and highly recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Past the sorrow and suffering, there is love and friendship.
** spoiler alert **
This is a wonderful book about friendship and surviving loss. In the beginning, these women seem to have nothing in common, but slowly, as their pasts are revealed, they found something in common to unite them.

In the beginning, this book seemed really depressing. There was so much tragedy and heart ache, even the happiest moments were tinged with sadness and desperation. Part of me knew what Astrid's fate would be, but what surprised me was that I was ok with it. I usually hate it when a character passes away, I like my happy endings, but it wasn't a sad passing and the letter to Veronika not only put a smile on my face, but made me feel hopeful. The power of friendship and love conquered a lifetime of sorrow. The story shows it's never too late and opportunities will always be present. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
This is one of the most beautiful books that I have read for a long time. It is the story of two women both of whom are living in isolated farmhouses in th Swedish countryside. Veronika a writer has gone there to nurse her grief at the loss of her partner. She befriends her elderly neighbour Astrid, a woman who has lived her life without love or affection. They share their life stories and become firm friends. Veronika finds in Astrid a person to replace the mother she never had and Astrid finds in Veronika a replacement for the daughter she has lost. There is a lot more to the book than that though, beautiful descriptions of the countryside and the changing of the seasons,from grim winter to spring and midsummer. As the seasons unfold we see also the unfolding of these sad lonely women as they reach to each other and find friendship. A really enjoyable book. ( )
  lesleynicol | Oct 2, 2014 |

Linda Olssonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holst, LisbetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I drift around my rooms and write to shadows, thinking as I always did, that writing only can make peace, can right and heal that which a life made sordid. - Bo Bergman, Somnlos' (Sleepless) in Aventyret (The adventure) 1969
Fir Anna-Lisa, my grandmother, my friend
There had been wind and drifting snow during her journey, but as darkness fell, the wind died and the snow settled.

With extraordinary emotional power, Linda Olsson’s stunningly well-crafted debut novel recounts the unusual and unexpected friendship that develops between two women. Veronika, a young writer from New Zealand, rents a house in a small Swedish village as she tries to come to terms with a recent tragedy while also finishing a novel. Her arrival is silently observed by Astrid, an older, reclusive neighbor who slowly becomes a presence in Veronika’s life, offering comfort in the form of companionship and lovingly prepared home-cooked meals. Set against a haunting Swedish landscape, Astrid & Veronika is a lyrical and meditative novel of love and loss, and a story that will remain with readers long after the characters’ secrets are revealed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

Olsson leads us through the flowering but unusual and tender friendship of Veronica and Astrid, as they slowly and carefully reveal their life histories and sometimes heart-rending pasts. A stunning first novel by a new writer with genuine talent.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible