Napoleon's Pyramids by William Dietrich

Napoleon's Pyramids (2007)

by William Dietrich, William Dietrich

English (21)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All (24)
This one promised to be a frolicking adventure and it did not let me down there. So many epic locations were included as backdrops to our tale. I liked the characters, Gage, Napoleon, even General Dumas - the tale felt like one of Alexandre Dumas' Musketeer romps. I was very aware of the author's pacing. Some passages would be hell-for-leather and then there would be a long chapter of talking and explaining. I loved the occasional witty banter. I was bored several times but I always came back, which I guess is something. I'm not sure if I'll read more the in series or not. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Nov 15, 2016 |
An 18th century Indiana Jones, Ethan Gage is an American who wins an intriguing medallion in a card game. Then everyone seems to want the medallion and will do anything to get it, including murder. He spends that night with a prostitute who turns up murdered the next day so now he is wanted for murder. He escapes by joining a gypsy caravan who take him to a port where his adventures continue. He ends up joining Bonaparte's expedition to Egypt with his group of savants. Bonaparte is after an artifact of immense power to help him obtain his goal of taking over Europe. These savants are mathematicians and scientists who will discover a way into the pyramids and recover this artifact. Gage is holding the key.

Just like Indiana Jones, he escapes one life-threatening event after another, falls in love with a sultry Egyptian woman, and finds the hidden entrance minutes before the evil doers who are chasing him.

There is a lot of historical information in this story. The reader is put in the middle of the invasion of Egypt and the Battle of the Nile as Admiral Nelson tries to destroy the French fleet. It certainly is a terrific setting for an adventure story. ( )
  mamzel | Jul 3, 2016 |
Didn't finish. Got several pages in, well past my "rule" of reading to page 40 or chapter 4, whichever comes first. Hoped it would get interesting as it had a few interesting parts. Yet, not enough. So I won't be finishing this one and don't recommend it. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
I enjoyed the history in this novel. What I could have done without was Dietrich's tendency to write sentences upon paragraphs upon pages at a time about Napoleon's character and motives. At times, it felt like I was reading a history textbook instead of a historical novel. Still, I liked it enough that I want to read the second book in the series to see what kind of trouble Ethan Gage gets himself into next. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
When American Ethan Gage wins an unusual medallion in a card game, little does he think what adventure it will bring. The medallion is covered in many of the symbols of freemasonry. Gage's quest to unravel its meaning takes him to Egypt with Napoleon's army. Gage must stay a step ahead of various pursuers who want to possess the medallion and its secrets.

This book seems like a cross between an Aubrey and Maturin naval adventure and The Da Vinci Code. This resulted in some problems with pacing, as Gage's quest to solve the puzzle of the medallion and its symbols keeps getting interrupted by battles. I felt like I had seen a lot of the scenes in a movie – probably one or more of the Indiana Jones films. I think I would have enjoyed this more as a movie since the action, costumes, and scenery might distract me from picking at the problems with the plot. ( )
  cbl_tn | Feb 5, 2014 |

William Dietrichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dietrich, Williammain authorall editionsconfirmed
What is God?
He is length, width, height, and depth.
     - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
To my daughter, Lisa
It was luck at cards that started the trouble, and enlistment in the mad invasion that seemed the way out of it. I won a trinket and almost lost my life, so take a lesson. Gambling is a vice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060848332, Mass Market Paperback)

What mystical secrets lie beneath the Great Pyramids?

The world changes for Ethan Gage—one-time assistant to the renowned Ben Franklin—on a night in post-revolutionary Paris, when he wins a mysterious medallion in a card game. Framed soon after for the murder of a prostitute and facing the grim prospect of either prison or death, the young expatriate American barely escapes France with his life—choosing instead to accompany the new emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte, on his glorious mission to conquer Egypt. With Lord Nelson's fleet following close behind, Gage sets out on the adventure of a lifetime. And in a land of ancient wonder and mystery, with the help of a beautiful Macedonian slave, he will come to realize that the unusual prize he won at the gaming table may be the key to solving one of history's greatest and most perilous riddles: who built the Great Pyramids . . . and why?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:54 -0400)

Acquiring an ancient medallion covered with indecipherable symbols, expatriate American Ethan Gage is forced to flee for his life when he is framed for murder and forced to accompany Napoleon Bonaparte on the emperor's quest to conquer Egypt.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,145,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible