Napoleon's Pyramids by William Dietrich

Napoleon's Pyramids (original 2007; edition 2007)

by William Dietrich

Member:JoelAMortensen
Title:Napoleon's Pyramids
Authors:William Dietrich
Info:Harper (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages

Napoleon's Pyramids by William Dietrich (2007)

English (22)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
This book just did not grab me like I thought it would. The story follows the American Ethan Gage from France to Egypt during the Napoleonic Wars where he meets all the important people from Napoleon to Nelson. I thought the story tried to be too many different things. It tried to be smart with mathematics and historical conspiracy, it tried to be funny, it tried to be suspenseful, and it tried to be an adventure story all at the same time. I never really warmed up to any parts of it.

I simply felt that the story had too many convenient happenings, and that the main character's ability to get into and out of tough spots was simply beyond belief. Also, the main point of the story is Gage's chasing down the myster of a medallion he obtains in the opening chapter, but I didn't feel that the reader could connect with the mystery in the way that say Dan Brown is able to do. Anyway, disappointing, but not a terrible book. I imagine others may enjoy it more than I did. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
This one promised to be a frolicking adventure and it did not let me down there. So many epic locations were included as backdrops to our tale. I liked the characters, Gage, Napoleon, even General Dumas - the tale felt like one of Alexandre Dumas' Musketeer romps. I was very aware of the author's pacing. Some passages would be hell-for-leather and then there would be a long chapter of talking and explaining. I loved the occasional witty banter. I was bored several times but I always came back, which I guess is something. I'm not sure if I'll read more the in series or not. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Nov 15, 2016 |
An 18th century Indiana Jones, Ethan Gage is an American who wins an intriguing medallion in a card game. Then everyone seems to want the medallion and will do anything to get it, including murder. He spends that night with a prostitute who turns up murdered the next day so now he is wanted for murder. He escapes by joining a gypsy caravan who take him to a port where his adventures continue. He ends up joining Bonaparte's expedition to Egypt with his group of savants. Bonaparte is after an artifact of immense power to help him obtain his goal of taking over Europe. These savants are mathematicians and scientists who will discover a way into the pyramids and recover this artifact. Gage is holding the key.

Just like Indiana Jones, he escapes one life-threatening event after another, falls in love with a sultry Egyptian woman, and finds the hidden entrance minutes before the evil doers who are chasing him.

There is a lot of historical information in this story. The reader is put in the middle of the invasion of Egypt and the Battle of the Nile as Admiral Nelson tries to destroy the French fleet. It certainly is a terrific setting for an adventure story. ( )
  mamzel | Jul 3, 2016 |
feels a lot like a H Rider Haggard novel, but with slightly more modern sensibilities (mainly for the worse). I am not a big fan of the style, but it could be a lot worse.
probably wont read more by author ( )
  jason9292 | May 17, 2016 |
Didn't finish. Got several pages in, well past my "rule" of reading to page 40 or chapter 4, whichever comes first. Hoped it would get interesting as it had a few interesting parts. Yet, not enough. So I won't be finishing this one and don't recommend it. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |

William Dietrichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dietrich, Williammain authorall editionsconfirmed
What is God?
He is length, width, height, and depth.
     - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
To my daughter, Lisa
It was luck at cards that started the trouble, and enlistment in the mad invasion that seemed the way out of it. I won a trinket and almost lost my life, so take a lesson. Gambling is a vice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060848332, Mass Market Paperback)

What mystical secrets lie beneath the Great Pyramids?

The world changes for Ethan Gage—one-time assistant to the renowned Ben Franklin—on a night in post-revolutionary Paris, when he wins a mysterious medallion in a card game. Framed soon after for the murder of a prostitute and facing the grim prospect of either prison or death, the young expatriate American barely escapes France with his life—choosing instead to accompany the new emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte, on his glorious mission to conquer Egypt. With Lord Nelson's fleet following close behind, Gage sets out on the adventure of a lifetime. And in a land of ancient wonder and mystery, with the help of a beautiful Macedonian slave, he will come to realize that the unusual prize he won at the gaming table may be the key to solving one of history's greatest and most perilous riddles: who built the Great Pyramids . . . and why?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:54 -0400)

Acquiring an ancient medallion covered with indecipherable symbols, expatriate American Ethan Gage is forced to flee for his life when he is framed for murder and forced to accompany Napoleon Bonaparte on the emperor's quest to conquer Egypt.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,642,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible