A Wicked Snow by Gregg Olsen

A Wicked Snow (original 2007; edition 2012)

by Gregg Olsen

Member:utacraft
Title:A Wicked Snow
Authors:Gregg Olsen
Info:Pinnacle (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Rating:***
Tags:r-pat 1/08/13

A Wicked Snow by Gregg Olsen (2007)

This was a great read, but the ending was unsatisfying. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Hannah Griffin is the sole survivor of an arson/murder crime committed on the family's Oregon Christmas Tree farm. Twenty years later, her mother remains the prime suspect and although she could have been killed in the blaze, nobody in the novel really believes she is dead. Hannah chases rumor and speculation in an attempt to find her mother. Hannah also struggles to overcome the guilt of surviving the infamous crime and the legacy of her presumed serial killer mother.

While the characters are rather predictable, this novel is a consumable, friendly reading mystery with a fun little ending that I never saw coming. ( )
  blockbuster1994 | Jan 21, 2011 |
I thought it was good up until the end...the end felt rushed and confusing. ( )
  mawshimp | Oct 17, 2010 |
A Wicked Snow is the story of a young girl, Hannah, who is traumatized by the loss of her brothers and mother in a horrific fire at their Christmas tree farm on Christmas morning. Hannah is sent to live with her aunt. She grows up to be a crime scene investigator and is still haunted by the night so many years ago. When she receives a strange package, and begins getting phone calls from a reporter after so many years, Hannah begins to think that her mother didn't die in the fire, but is alive and well somewhere. She begins searching for her with the lead investigator from the FBI.

It took a little bit for me to get into this story. It began to pick up the pace in the later part of the book. Their were many characters involved in the story, but each had their own part of Hannah's past or present. She is portrayed as a tough cookie, but when it comes down to it, she's not as tough as she hopes to be. Her partner Ripp wasn't as developed as I would have liked, but he was only a side character. I just expected more from him. There was an incident in the latter half of the book that really didn't resolve itself for me. I'm a little bummed about it. But overall, I enjoyed the book. I have another of his that I plan to read soon, so I'm anxious to compare them. ( )
  kysmom02 | Jan 29, 2009 |
Having read a few hundred books in this genre, some of them blend in after time. This causes me to be on the lookout for a new, different voice. Olsen did stand out; however, there was a familiarity to his writing that I couldn’t put my finger on until I read is bio.

Olsen is the author to seven nonfiction books. When I read he’s a journalist and true crime author, that’s when it hit. The book, though fiction, had a true crime feel to it.

I tried to pace myself just to discover I couldn’t stop until the last page was read. The book didn’t have a POW ending; and if it did, I’m not sure I would have believed it.

One thing to surprise me is when this book was done I was ready to read another book of his. It was a foreign feeling that left me a bit confused. I normally want to read something different and never the same author back to back. Little did I know his writing could be compared to a potato chip - you can’t read just one. Luckily for me Olsen’s next fiction book, A COLD DARK PLACE, will be arriving soon.

For more about this book and others, go to http://j-kaye-book-blog.blogspot.com/ ( )
  judithkaye | Jun 13, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786018291, Mass Market Paperback)

Hannah Griffin was a girl when tragedy struck on her family's farm. She still remembers the flames reflected against the newly fallen snow and the bodies the police dug upone of them her mother's. It was the nation's worst murder scene in decades and the killer was never found. Two decades later Hannah is a CSI investigating a case of child abuse when the past comes hurtling back. Years of buried questions are brought to life. A killer with unfinished business is on the hunt. And an anonymous message turns Hannah's blood cold: Your Mom called...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:50 -0400)

When Hannah Griffin was a little girl her home went up in flames killing her mother. It was the nation's worst murder scene, now 20 years later Hannah is investigating a child abuse case when the past comes hurtling back. A killer with unfinished business is on the loose and that makes Hannah's blood run cold.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,325,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible