A Wicked Snow by Gregg Olsen

A Wicked Snow (original 2007; edition 2012)

by Gregg Olsen

201558,418 (3.64)4
Title:A Wicked Snow
Authors:Gregg Olsen
Info:Pinnacle (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Tags:r-pat 1/08/13

A Wicked Snow by Gregg Olsen (2007)

I read this book for my bookclub. I found it to be somewhat of a chore to read. The characters were flat and devoid of any depth. And, there were plenty of characters, main and minor, but the story came off as being rushed so you could not establish a liking for any of the characters.

There was a good plot however, I felt the author should have switched his focus from Hannah to Marcus Wheaton's mom who is the catalyst for the unfolding plot yet was regulated to such a minor role.

I didn't necessarily hate the book but it wasn't something I would pick up on my own to read. ( )
  NancyNo5 | Jun 26, 2015 |
This was a great read, but the ending was unsatisfying. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Hannah Griffin is the sole survivor of an arson/murder crime committed on the family's Oregon Christmas Tree farm. Twenty years later, her mother remains the prime suspect and although she could have been killed in the blaze, nobody in the novel really believes she is dead. Hannah chases rumor and speculation in an attempt to find her mother. Hannah also struggles to overcome the guilt of surviving the infamous crime and the legacy of her presumed serial killer mother.

While the characters are rather predictable, this novel is a consumable, friendly reading mystery with a fun little ending that I never saw coming. ( )
  blockbuster1994 | Jan 21, 2011 |
I thought it was good up until the end...the end felt rushed and confusing. ( )
  mawshimp | Oct 17, 2010 |
A Wicked Snow is the story of a young girl, Hannah, who is traumatized by the loss of her brothers and mother in a horrific fire at their Christmas tree farm on Christmas morning. Hannah is sent to live with her aunt. She grows up to be a crime scene investigator and is still haunted by the night so many years ago. When she receives a strange package, and begins getting phone calls from a reporter after so many years, Hannah begins to think that her mother didn't die in the fire, but is alive and well somewhere. She begins searching for her with the lead investigator from the FBI.

It took a little bit for me to get into this story. It began to pick up the pace in the later part of the book. Their were many characters involved in the story, but each had their own part of Hannah's past or present. She is portrayed as a tough cookie, but when it comes down to it, she's not as tough as she hopes to be. Her partner Ripp wasn't as developed as I would have liked, but he was only a side character. I just expected more from him. There was an incident in the latter half of the book that really didn't resolve itself for me. I'm a little bummed about it. But overall, I enjoyed the book. I have another of his that I plan to read soon, so I'm anxious to compare them. ( )
  kysmom02 | Jan 29, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786018291, Mass Market Paperback)

Hannah Griffin was a girl when tragedy struck on her family's farm. She still remembers the flames reflected against the newly fallen snow and the bodies the police dug upone of them her mother's. It was the nation's worst murder scene in decades and the killer was never found. Two decades later Hannah is a CSI investigating a case of child abuse when the past comes hurtling back. Years of buried questions are brought to life. A killer with unfinished business is on the hunt. And an anonymous message turns Hannah's blood cold: Your Mom called...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:27 -0400)

When Hannah Griffin was a little girl her home went up in flames killing her mother. It was the nation's worst murder scene, now 20 years later Hannah is investigating a child abuse case when the past comes hurtling back. A killer with unfinished business is on the loose and that makes Hannah's blood run cold.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible