A Wicked Snow by Gregg Olsen

A Wicked Snow (original 2007; edition 2012)

by Gregg Olsen

Member:utacraft
Title:A Wicked Snow
Authors:Gregg Olsen
Info:Pinnacle (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Rating:***
Tags:r-pat 1/08/13

A Wicked Snow by Gregg Olsen (2007)

So far the best of the Gregg Olsen books I've listened to. ( )
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
I liked this book. I liked it a lot. I liked the protagonist, Hannah, who was involved in the most heinous of crimes as a child and grows into adult hood trying to forget. Most of all she tries to forget her mother, the main antagonist, who was killed during the crime, but continues to take on many forms of evil throughout the story. Hannah tries to push the events into the furthers recesses of her mind, but forgetting isn't possible. Hannah has never given up trying to understand exactly how and why the crime took place.

While the author, Gregg Olsen, is a well known true crime writer, this was his first novel. To use the vernacular of the baseball enthusiast, he hit it out of the friggin park. While fast paced, the plot followed a sensible and reasonable story line. The characters were human, a compliment in its highest form to aspiring authors. The use of flashbacks to fill in bits of the back story was well done, even though it's becoming somewhat over used since the success of Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl.

Honestly, I don't know why it's taken me so long to prepare a review of this novel. It's not like I've been immersed in anything comparable to A Wicked Snow. Using my personal rating system to determine my level of appreciation, the degree of sadness I experience upon completing a book, I was sad when I finished, very sad. I wanted another chapter, then another after that. I put off starting another book to give myself time to think about the story that I just finished. I liked it enough to search for Olsen's second novel, and I will buy it.

baggman | Feb 11, 2016 |
Twenty years ago Hannah Logan was a 13-year-old girl living with her mother and twin younger brothers on a Christmas tree farm in rural Oregon. During a night of horror, Hannah's world became a nightmare as her home burned to the ground, killing her brothers and her mother, Claire. As the police sifted through the ashes at the farm they were stunned to find the bodies of 17 elderly men buried amongst the firs and balsams. Suddenly it became clear that Claire Logan was a serial killer and the headless woman's body found in the house was more than likely - not Claire.

Now working in California as a CSI detective, Hannah is married with a child of her own. Although she has done her best to erase that night and her mother from her memory, Hannah knows that eventually she will have to face her demons. A dedicated FBI agent, Jeff Bauer, who investigated the original case is on the trail of a woman believed to be Claire. Jeff and Hannah will follow the lead to Kodiak, Alaska, to try and finally catch the elusive killer and put Hannah's anguish to rest.

Despite the gruesome storyline I enjoyed this thriller quite a bit. It was well-plotted and moved at a quick pace. This is the first book I have read by this author and it won't be the ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 25, 2016 |
I read this book for my bookclub. I found it to be somewhat of a chore to read. The characters were flat and devoid of any depth. And, there were plenty of characters, main and minor, but the story came off as being rushed so you could not establish a liking for any of the characters.

There was a good plot however, I felt the author should have switched his focus from Hannah to Marcus Wheaton's mom who is the catalyst for the unfolding plot yet was regulated to such a minor role.

I didn't necessarily hate the book but it wasn't something I would pick up on my own to read. ( )
1 vote NancyNo5 | Jun 26, 2015 |
This was a great read, but the ending was unsatisfying. ( )
1 vote pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786018291, Mass Market Paperback)

Hannah Griffin was a girl when tragedy struck on her family's farm. She still remembers the flames reflected against the newly fallen snow and the bodies the police dug upone of them her mother's. It was the nation's worst murder scene in decades and the killer was never found. Two decades later Hannah is a CSI investigating a case of child abuse when the past comes hurtling back. Years of buried questions are brought to life. A killer with unfinished business is on the hunt. And an anonymous message turns Hannah's blood cold: Your Mom called...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:27 -0400)

When Hannah Griffin was a little girl her home went up in flames killing her mother. It was the nation's worst murder scene, now 20 years later Hannah is investigating a child abuse case when the past comes hurtling back. A killer with unfinished business is on the loose and that makes Hannah's blood run cold.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,917,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible