The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1 by P. J.…

The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1

by P. J. Haarsma

Excellent creation of a new world...I had to read the rest. ( )
  bookoisseur | Mar 29, 2013 |
Soft wire is a four book series that fallows Johnny Turnbull and his friends and sister on their journey on their new home Orbise. When they arrive strange thing begin to happen to the planets main computer that controls every thing. Johnny begins to find out that he is a soft wire and can access and control computers with his mind. But their troubles have only begun.
This was a really interesting book i cant wait to read the second and find out what happens next. This book has its ups and downs but through it all it has a good story line. But i wish it would explain what happen to earth before they started the story.
It's a good book for most ages and i recemand people read it. ( )
  mroc3827 | Jan 19, 2012 |
A group of kids, raised on a spaceship by a computer program, have finally reached their new home of Orbis 1 only to find out that their destiny is to be enslaved in order to pay off their parents’ debt. While trying to make the most of the life that’s been thrown at them, JT comes to find that he has a special gift that is not only rare to anyone, but has never before been seen in a human. JT is a softwire. He can communicate with machines in a way that no one else can: by physically up-linking his mind without any cords or interface. However, as JT arrived on Orbis 1, so did the problems with the central computers causing many of the citizens to turn on him, the only softwire and the only one that could be ruining their precious computer. It is up to JT, with the help of some of his friends, to figure out what is causing all the computer glitches and stop it before Orbis 1 is taken down.

I downloaded this book when it was offered for free on amazon.com and didn’t expect too much based on the length, and well, the fact that it was free. I was pleasantly surprised when I began to read and found the topic riveting. Just think of how much you could do in life as we know it now if you didn’t have to use a mouse/keyboard to do anything on a computer. Instead you simply thought of what you wanted to do and it was done. The ability to interface with a computer in that fashion could bring all kinds of opportunities, not to mention free up so much time in our day. Main topic of the book aside, I truly enjoyed getting to know the various characters and species found on Orbis. I think the author has a real thing for slime covered/goey aliens, because they seemed to come up a lot in the story. I loved Keithera’s character, even though she couldn’t speak her personality truly shined. She got quite a few chuckles out of me as I pictured her chasing her toy or getting excited when offered food. I was glad to see she played a bigger role in the end (don’t worry I won’t say what it is).

This was a very quick read, but I liked it a lot. I’m going to have to go out and get the next three books in the series. ( )
  jexball | Jun 8, 2011 |
I got this book free from B&N. I liked it so much that I bought the second one in the series and will buy the other ones as well.
Recommended for Grades 5 - 9. (I'm a middle school teacher.)
I don't read a lot of SC-FI, but this is good! ( )
  TPA_Teacher | Mar 16, 2011 |
awesome book ( )
  idk325 | Dec 16, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076363638X, Paperback)

"Filled with exotic aliens, dangerous situations, and fast-paced adventure. Younger sci-fi fans will happily hang in with JT." — BOOKLIST

Thirteen-year-old Johnny Turnbull has always known there was something different about him. It turns out he’s the first-ever human softwire —- able to enter and communicate with computers with his mind. Now that JT and two hundred other orphans have been put to work in alien factories on the first ring of Orbis, things are going very wrong. The "perfect" central computer is malfunctioning, and suspicious eyes are turning to JT. Could he be the one responsible?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

When twelve-year-old Johnny and his sister arrive on Orbis in a space ship of orphans, he finds he has a unique ability to communicate with computers.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763627097, 076363638X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,087,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible