Dragonology Chronicles Volume One: THE…

Dragonology Chronicles Volume One: THE DRAGON'S EYE

by Dugald A. Steer

A fun read, with lots of reminders that education is important worked into the narrative. It's a bit obvious to an adult reader, but my 11 year old nephew loved it. I'll finish the trilogy to share the experience with my nephew, but wouldn't bother otherwise. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
To read more reviews and fun things go to my blog; Drugs Called Books!

It was an okay read, for me.
Everything happened very slowly, and I felt like the heroes just kept failing and losing. Losing sometimes is good, because it's more human, but always losing? That's a bit annoying. The only time they won was around the last pages, which I found a bit ridiculous and off putting.
They kept talking about how smart Dr. Drake is and they all expect him to be the next Dragon Master, but if he was so smart - why did he keep missing things and falling into traps, and basically leading the way for the villains? Throughout the story I got the impression Daniel and Beatrice were smarter than him! They solved riddles, they did stuff, while Dr. Drake kept relaying on his notebook for knowledge. The only thing he seemed good at was keeping the other two calm and pulling out facts about Dragons. His sparkle of wisdom came only at the end, for me. Knowing things and being smart are two different things... Anyway, the whole part frustrated me.
I also felt the action was minor and didn't generate the excited or hooked feelings I get from other reads. A book doesn't have to be action packed for me to like it, but I do think the parts that are action should be griping.
I was able to finish the book though, contrary to some books which I simply drifted into other novels while reading them because they didn't grab me enough. This book salvaging point is its interesting universe, filled with dragons and detailed description of them and their lives. I liked how the dragons mimic humans – some are stupid and think glass shreds are as valuable as real treasure; some are smart and know the real gold (they can also speak). Dragons have elders. Dragons protect their young. Dragons vary and each is different from the other.
In conclusion, I enjoyed reading about the dragons and the world created in the book despite the slow pace and sometime darn right boring and annoying bits, but I will not be buying the next book. ( )
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
This book was awesome!! I loved it ! It was such a good book, you should read it. I read it in a couple days, maybe 2 weeks. It was the best ( )
  alexander_7 | Jan 5, 2012 |
My seven-year-old daughter got this at a book fair in 2nd grade and devoured it in days, and immediately asked for the next one from the library. She loved it! ( )
  kayceel | Mar 25, 2011 |
Following on from the very successful Dragonology books this is a story of two children being introduced to the world of Dragonologists. With one man trying to keep Dragons safe and another trying to gain power, particularly over Dragons. Interesting illustrations, the story is somewhat flat and sounds like many others in the genre. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 11, 2008 |

Dugald A. Steerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carrel, DouglasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carrel, DouglasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

For the first time ever, DRAGONOLOGY fiction! Introducing the Dragonology Chronicles — full-length novels with enough fire-breathing adventure to satisfy true DRAGONOLOGY fans who just can't get enough!

Adventure! Villains! And dragons, dragons, dragons! Brought to us by the creators of the runaway NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers DRAGONOLOGY and THE DRAGONOLOGY HANDBOOK, the Dragonology Chronicles are a series of dragon adventures told by one of Dr. Drake's young students. In Volume 1 of the Chronicles, THE DRAGON'S EYE, Daniel Cook and his sister, Beatrice, spend the summer with their parents' eccentric former tutor, Dr. Ernest Drake. Not only do Daniel and Beatrice begin to study dragonology, but they are also soon caught up in the race to find the stolen Dragon's Eye jewel - which has the power to reflect the true Dragon Master - before it is stolen by evil dragonologist Ignatius Crook. The two must work with Dr. Drake — as well as many friendly dragons — to foil Ignatius and recover the Dragon's Eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:13 -0400)

Something that I still could hardly make out was flying round and round th room, I could see wings, scales, and a wisp of smoke rising from its nostrils. I saw it fly over to the other side of the room, positioning it's self directly opposite me. With wings outspread and claws at the ready, it fixed me with its beady eyes and bagan to fly straight at me.… (more)

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628107, 0763638072

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,501,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible