Girl of the Moment by Lizabeth Zindel

Girl of the Moment

by Lizabeth Zindel

Reviewed by Dianna Geers for TeensReadToo.com

Lily gave up her regular summer of soccer camp. Her final summer before her senior year. Why would she do that? Well, if she wanted to get into her college of choice, Brown University, she seriously needed an internship to make her stand out in her college applications.

Lily has an internship lined up at a Manhattan art museum and it will look fabulous when she applies. Except it falls through. No soccer camp (which is where her best friend and potential boyfriend are) and no internship. No Brown University.

Well, connections come through and she ends up being an intern for "Sabrina Snow." (She can't tell readers the real identity of this famous teenage star so we have to imagine her as someone like Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton). Lily's luck seems to be in her favor. She gets to hang out with this famous teenager, go to super parties, and shop at exclusive stores. But it isn't that easy. Sabrina's manager wants Lily to call him if Sabrina's behavior is negative, harmful, or questionable. Sabrina wants Lily to assist her with everything and to not get in her way. What's a girl to do?

Lily learns a great deal about Sabrina, celebrity life, and herself. This is a fun book by new author, Lizabeth Zindel. It's full of dramedy, pop culture, and provides an insider look into a world that seems so glamorous. Or is the grass just greener? Read GIRL OF THE MOMENT to find out. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
To be honest, I picked this up at my library simply because I had no other choice. Most of the books had been checked out by high school students who are starting their new year. The cover looked a bit too girly for me, and the description made it sound like a cheesy Disney movie.

However, I wasn’t disappointed for checking it out. It was definitely worth it. I won’t lie, it’s pretty cliché and predictable, but I don’t see what else could’ve been written for a story like this.

Lily, the narrator of the novel, is telling the story as if she’s writing her book, her own journal. There’s nothing incredibly unique about Lily. She’s exactly how you’d imagine a character in this kind of story to be, but I found it kind of endearing. One thing that bugged me- I use this word a lot, but the biggest cliché of the story was “Sabrina Snow.” That’s the fake name Lily gives us readers to hide the real identity of the starlet she interned for. I was really hoping Lizabeth would switch it up, and maybe write Sabrina to be a decent human being, but unfortunately not. Sabrina is exactly the same as any other fictitious female celebrity- snotty, rich, self-absorbed and demanding. She had her humane moments, but for the most part, she was a total hag.

Besides that, it was pretty entertaining. It’s fast-paced, and ends pretty quickly, but it’s not the kind of story that you’d want to be dragged out. It’s not going on my favorite list, but I definitely don’t regret checking it out! ( )
  katiedoll | Sep 16, 2009 |

When Lily’s internship at the Museum of Modern Art falls through, she thinks her summer is ruined. Then her dad hooks her up with a oncein- a-lifetime chance to intern for Sabrina Snow—sixteen-year-old Hollywood starlet and the girl of the moment. From the pages of Party Weekly magazine, Sabrina’s life looks like a nonstop merry-go-round of glamorous parties, red-carpet events, and designer clothes. But Lily soon learns that being Sabrina and being Sabrina’s intern are two very different things.

This first novel from the daughter of noted young adult author and Pulitzer Prize–winning playwright Paul Zindel is funny, smart, and sassy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Lily has a lot to learn when she spends the summer working as the intern of a spoiled and powerful Hollywood starlet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible