dismiss

After finally getting noticed by someone other than school bullies and his ever-angry father, seventeen-year-old Tyler enjoys his tough new reputation and the attentions of a popular girl, but when life starts to go bad again, he must choose between transforming himself or giving in to his destructive thoughts.… (more)
    Rats Saw God by Rob Thomas (meggyweg)
    You Don't Know Me by David Klass (samlives2)
    samlives2: Another novel involving a teenage boy and his family and social troubles.
    Damage by A. M. Jenkins (Runa)

This author is phenomenal. Although I don't exactly enjoy all the books, they speak volumes about the society of young adults. ( )
  RobertaLea | May 10, 2020 |
Compelling story of a teenager and his coming of age. I felt like I was in the action as he faced his problems and conquered them. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I like Speak, and it was fun to read a teen angst novel from a guy's point of view. The author apparently spent a lot of time hanging with and talking with high school boys to give this book an authentic voice. ( )
  Zaiga | Sep 23, 2019 |
Read in one sitting. Even though the ending was too tidy, it’s not a tidy story. It’s the story of many students I know. ( )
  Reyesk9 | Sep 23, 2019 |
Couldn't get into the first half of the book. The characters and writing felt overly cliched for me. The plot was boring. Unpopular guy is suddenly pursued by the popular, rich girl just because he developed a good tan and a few muscles over the summer. Sadly, it all goes to hell when he tries to do the right thing and it back fires. Overprotective, bully brother is annoyed by a former dweeb moving up on the popularity scale and goes after him. You also have the cliched dysfunctional family consisting of an angry, domineering dad and distant, whining mother who are constantly fighting. It's just a boring plot, plain and simple. Thankfully the short chapters keep the story moving despite the lack of creativity on the author's part. I gave her an extra star for the ending because her description of the suicide thoughts had a little more originality. Read A.S King's books if you want a much better written male teen perspective. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
To Scot, For building the best fort ever
I spent the last Friday of summer vacation spreading hot, sticky tar across the roof of George Washington High.

This book is about a guy named Tyler Miller with all sorts of problems in his life, including social, relationship, and family problems. It wasn't long before Tyler decided that he wanted to end his life. Read as he threads through all his problems in life and how he ends up being neutral...read on.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,847,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible