Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson
    Rats Saw God by Rob Thomas (meggyweg)
    You Don't Know Me by David Klass (samlives2)
    samlives2: Another novel involving a teenage boy and his family and social troubles.
    Damage by A. M. Jenkins (Runa)

Couldn't get into the first half of the book. The characters and writing felt overly cliched for me. The plot was boring. Unpopular guy is suddenly pursued by the popular, rich girl just because he developed a good tan and a few muscles over the summer. Sadly, it all goes to hell when he tries to do the right thing and it back fires. Overprotective, bully brother is annoyed by a former dweeb moving up on the popularity scale and goes after him. You also have the cliched dysfunctional family consisting of an angry, domineering dad and distant, whining mother who are constantly fighting. It's just a boring plot, plain and simple. Thankfully the short chapters keep the story moving despite the lack of creativity on the author's part. I gave her an extra star for the ending because her description of the suicide thoughts had a little more originality. Read A.S King's books if you want a much better written male teen perspective. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
This is a story about a troubled teenager who realizes that the problem isn't so much him as the people around him who expect him to screw up and who box him into an identity that fits their expectations. If you're a teenager reading this book, MAYBE it would seem more interesting and action-packed, but even as a teen I suspect I'd have found this book tedious and dull. Not much happens, and what does happen is written as if the author is trying to maintain a safe distance from her subject, so even where there ought to be more emotion or excitement, it doesn't really work. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Review: Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson. 07/11/2017

I haven’t read any disapproving books from this author. She writes well, she chooses great subjects; her characters are well developed and her story holds my interest. Most of her books are about teenagers that have issues they struggle through. The novels are helpful to adults, parents, and teenagers. I read some reviews that state this book shouldn’t be read by teens but I differ with that claim. I believe these kinds of novels give teenagers insight and to know they aren’t the only ones who struggle with situations and the story communicates to these teens that there is always a positive choice and solution.

This novel is based on a family that doesn’t communicate well and a seventeen-year-old teen who feels like he is the problem and a failure. His thoughts and emotions are on the dark side. He has defaced the outside school with spray paint and now he has to deal with the consequences by being put on probation and do community work to pay for his mistake and he totally accepts the responsibility but his dad is really on his case and won’t let it go.

There are two issues in the story, one is yes, he made a mistake but it’s not the end of the world and his father needs to accept his responsibility as head of the family. It’s not going to help the teen by yelling and making him the scapegoat for his fathers own failures. He has a bad day at the office; his work is not up to the capacity that his boss wants so why would that be the teens fault. His mother is a realtor who is a workaholic and puts her clients first and over reacts if she has a house on the market to long. There is a younger sister who is fifteen and both teens do communicate and their bonding is special.

It was a great story and I felt there were little clues, solutions and messages for both the parent and the teenage throughout the book. I have read maybe five of Laurie Halse Anderson’s books and I look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Jul 12, 2017 |
very quick read.... but that made more sense when I found out it was a young adult book :)

I enjoyed the storyline and would recommend it to teenage readers ( )
  AmyJ71 | Jun 20, 2017 |
Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my favorite young adult authors. I use this book in my Sports Lit class. Even though she is a female, she does a great job capturing the mind of a teenage boy. I enjoy reading it, and most of my students like reading it. This is a great book to use if you are looking for a book that will appeal to teenage boys. It is also a high interest book for struggling readers.
  KristenNevala | Feb 16, 2016 |
To Scot, For building the best fort ever
I spent the last Friday of summer vacation spreading hot, sticky tar across the roof of George Washington High.

This book is about a guy named Tyler Miller with all sorts of problems in his life, including social, relationship, and family problems. It wasn't long before Tyler decided that he wanted to end his life. Read as he threads through all his problems in life and how he ends up being neutral...read on.

Another New York Times bestseller from Laurie Halse Anderson! High school senior Tyler Miller used to be the kind of guy who faded into the background. But since he got busted for doing graffiti on the school, and spent the summer doing outdoor work to pay for it, he stands out like you wouldn?t believe. His new physique attracts the attention of queen bee Bethany Milbury, who just so happens to be his father?s boss?s daughter, the sister of his biggest enemy? and Tyler?s secret crush. And that sets off a string of events and changes that have Tyler questioning his place in school, in his family, and in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

After finally getting noticed by someone other than school bullies and his ever-angry father, seventeen-year-old Tyler enjoys his tough new reputation and the attentions of a popular girl, but when life starts to go bad again, he must choose between transforming himself or giving in to his destructive thoughts.… (more)

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible