The Gingerbread Man by Catherine McCafferty

The Gingerbread Man (2002)

by Catherine McCafferty

I believe this book is a great read for many reasons. It is a great retelling of The Gingerbread Man that includes both English and Spanish text. This can be great for students looking to become bilingual or read aloud for a divers group of students. I really like the repetitive phrase, " You can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man" and its Spanish equivalent because it s a great way for students to become apart of any read aloud experience as well as conditions students to guess whats happening next. ( )
  mbrook26 | Mar 2, 2017 |
I really liked this book. The first reason I liked this book is because the illustrations. For example, the colors the author used are very bright and they make each page pop out. Another example is that in each illustration you can see the facial expression of each character. You can tell if they are happy, sad, or mad, etc. The second reason I liked the book the author made this a bilingual book. Each page has the english and spanish words on it. For example, “A very sly, very hungry fox spotted the gingerbread Man.” “Un Zorro muy astuto y muy hambriento avisto al Hombre de Pan de Jengibre.” The big message of this book is that there are people out there who can harm you, so you must be careful who you trust. ( )
  KinderelHodgson | May 4, 2015 |
I remember reading this book as a young kid. The Gingerbread man gets away from being baked in the oven. He runs through the forest, as he passes an old man, young boy, an old woman, three farmers, a scary bear, and also a wolf. They all want to eat him because he is a delicious cookie. ( )
  emilyann93 | Oct 2, 2014 |
I did not know the story of the ginger bread man until this class. It is about a little old man and woman who lived on a farm, they had a horse, pig, and cow. There was also a sneaky fox nearby. One day the old man asked his wife to cook him gingerbread man cookies, so she did. When she pulled them out the over, the gingerbread man jumped out yelling "dont eat me". They chased him down until the fox got him.
  aclemen1 | Apr 28, 2013 |
The book starts off about a little old couple who wanted a child. She decided if she could not have a child she would bake one so she did. Only to her surprised he jumped out the window and ran down the hill.
The couple chasing after him, along the way he ran into a cat, snake, goose, they all wanted to have him for dinner. As he was running he sang the chant" run run as fast as you can you can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man" Until he came along a river and a sly fox waiting on him, the fox tricked him into riding on his back across the river only to be eaten by the sly fox.

I like this story because the kids can get involved with reading the story and singing the chant. It is a very old classic children's story. The only thing I would change is the ending, I like happy one's.

You could bake gingerbread cookies and let the kids decorate them. we have also cut out gingerbread men and scattered them around the classroom and let the children hunt for them. ( )
  sondrabrush1969 | Sep 11, 2012 |
Once upon a time, a kind old couple lived in a land not so far from here.
"You can run and run as fast as you can. You can't catch me---I'm the Gingerbread Man!"

A freshly baked gingerbread man escapes when he is taken out of the oven and eludes a number of animals until he meets a clever fox.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible