The Perfect Girl by Gilly MacMillan

The Perfect Girl (2015)

by Gilly MacMillan

Speak Softly, She Can Hear by Pam Lewis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In both books, teenage girls are forced into horrifying situations resulting in deaths and life-changing consequences in these intricately plotted, gripping novels of psychological suspense. Eventually, they're forced to overcome their fears and painful pasts to reclaim their lives.… (more)
    The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer (tina1969)

English (36)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
This book is written from various characters' viewpoints, alternating via chapters. Mosly it's done very well, and doesn't interfere with the flow of the story. In fact it gives quite a lot of depth to the events, after all there is more than one side to any story, and no two people experience the same thing in the same way.
The chapters told from a teen point of view have a genuine adolescent feel, you really do get the impression a teen is telling you those parts of the story.
Despite the book being so well written, it failed to really grab me. Something would seem to be building, but then peter out. I was able to read large chunks in one sitting, but didn't feel any great urge to pick it up later. Until near the end that is, but the end felt somewhat like an anticlimax to me. The promised drama didn't really happen, and the epilogue tied up the loose ends a little too neatly.
Overall, this is a good book. There are certainly far worse choices out there. Other readers have loved it, so give it a go.
I received this book for free through a giveaway. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Aug 7, 2018 |
First of all, I have no idea why it has taken me so long to read a Gilly Macmillan novel. She has been on my radar for quite some time and I’m delighted I finally got my hands on one of her books (thank you local library). The Perfect Stranger is an engrossing and compulsive book. I could not put the book down and read way past my bedtime! I devour and enjoy thrillers that move at a fast pace, and although a few parts were a little sluggish, Macmillan maintains a steady rhythm throughout the novel. The story centers around Zoe and her dysfunctional family. These folks have issues! Tragic events take place within 24 hours with flashes from the past. My favorite part of the book is the ending -- it is brilliant and I love it! So please don’t be like me, get yourself a Macmillan novel (if you haven’t) and join the rest of the party. I already have a copy of her first novel, What She Knew, which according to my sources is excellent. I’m hooked and can’t wait to read her new novel, Odd Child Out, being released in October 2017.

For more reviews, visit my blog: http://debbiesbooknook.com/book-reviews.html ( )
  debbiesbooknook | Apr 27, 2018 |
This book was very slow. I couldn't stay focused on it until I was about 35% in. I can't seem to decide if I want to give it 2 or 3 stars. It's more 2 1/2. It really picked up when I finally did get into it but it had some seriously boring parts. I felt bad for the solicitor in the book. But, I'm happy about the outcome in regards to the relationship with Tessa. As far as everything else. Well, Tessa's step father got what he deserved. The other story lines and how they ended it was very meh. ( )
  AmandaLD | Apr 18, 2018 |
Zoe is a child genius, a musical prodigy - the perfect daughter. But a party gone wrong led to the death of three teenagers - and Zoe was the one to take the blame. She faced the courts, served her time. And now she's free. Her mother remarried and now Zoe has a stepfather and stepbrother in her life, along with a half-sister. As Zoe Maisey, life should go back to normal again. But on the night when Zoe decides to give a piano performance, there is a disruption that threatens to bring her past back to the forefront. By midnight, Zoe's mother is dead. Who killed Zoe's mother and why? And what will happen now to this "perfect" family?

One of the things I liked about this novel was how it was split into two parts and went back and forth between different character perspectives as well as between different points in time. This ensured that the reader was attentive; I like to be kept on my toes because it makes me work that much harder to make connections - and sometimes, a challenge is a good thing!

While I enjoyed reading from the perspective of different characters and found the events leading up to the murder interesting, I didn't really find Zoe to be a well-developed character. For one thing, the whole genius aspect had no purpose so it didn't really even need to be included in the story. I thought that it was mentioned because it would lead to something somewhere but it didn't, so that was a bit of a disappointment. Her character just made me sad but I couldn't connect with her or feel anything other than marginal pity. I feel like she could have been a lot more complex, especially in showing her emotions regarding her mother's death.

I also found the character of the solicitor to be quite unnecessary. I thought that the author had included him and his perspective for a purpose but he pretty much did nothing throughout the whole novel and had his own mini sidestory going on that I didn't really care about. I pretty much hate when authors include things that have no bearing or purpose so the solicitor was definitely a disappointing character for me.

While the premise was interesting, and the whodunit aspect had me hyped, finding out what happened and the way that it resolved itself was a bit lacking in the wow factor, so I didn't get that thrill that I was hoping for.

Overall, this is a well-written novel that incorporated many different perspectives and timelines. However, it was lackluster in terms of creating complex characters, and did not deliver on the thrill factor as strongly as I had hoped. Still a decent read, and worth giving a shot! ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
1.99

January 28, 2918

464 pgs ( )
  UM3050 | Jan 28, 2018 |
To my family
In the eyes of others, we're often not who we imagine ourselves to be.

Zoe Maisey is a seventeen-year-old musical prodigy with a genius IQ. Three years ago, she was involved in a tragic incident that left three classmates dead. She served her time, and now her mother, Maria, is resolved to keep that devastating fact tucked far away from their new beginning, hiding the past even from her new husband and demanding Zoe do the same.

From Gilly Macmillan, the international bestselling and Edgar Award nominated author of What She Knew, comes this whip-smart, addictive, and harrowing novel of psychological suspense—perfect for fans of Paula Hawkins and Kimberly McCreight.

Zoe Maisey is a seventeen-year-old musical prodigy with a genius IQ. Three years ago, she was involved in a tragic incident that left three classmates dead. She served her time, and now her mother, Marie, is resolved to keep that devastating fact tucked far away from their new beginning, hiding the past even from her new husband and demanding Zoe do the same.

Tonight Zoe is giving a recital that Maria has been planning for months. It needs to be the performance of her life. But instead, by the end of the evening, Marie is dead.

In the aftermath, everyone—police, family, Zoe’s former solicitor, and Zoe herself—tries to piece together what happened. But as Zoe knows all too well, the truth is rarely straightforward, and the closer we are to someone, the less we may see.

Unfolding over a span of twenty-four hours through three compelling narratives, The Perfect Girl is gripping, surprising, and emotionally complex—a richly layered look at loyalty, second chances, and the way secrets unravel us all.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 15 Mar 2016 01:50:34 -0400)

To everyone who knows her now, Zoe Maisey - child genius, musical sensation - is perfect. Yet several years ago, Zoe caused the death of three teenagers. She served her time, and now she's free. Her story begins with her giving the performance of her life. By midnight, her mother is dead. The Perfect Girl is an intricate exploration into the mind of a teenager burdened by brilliance, and a past that she cannot leave behind.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gilly MacMillan's book The Perfect Girl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,027,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible