Revenge in a Cold River by Anne Perry

Revenge in a Cold River

by Anne Perry

English (27)  Piratical (1)  All languages (28)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was looking forward to reading a novel by Anne Perry as I've seen good reviews on her works. Unfortunately I was a little lost with the characters as this is the 22nd book in this series. As there are many positive reviews to this book, I'm going to give it another go and hopefully complete it this time around. ( )
  MissYvonnee | Aug 15, 2017 |
This installment of the William Monk series reminds the reader of the origin of the series - Monk had a horrific carriage accident and it robbed him of his memory. He has flashbacks on occasion, but still has no memory of the past. Here he is confronted with people who he knew in California during the Gold Rush, but he knows nothing of them. When they become entangled with a body that is recovered from the river, Monk has to determine how they are connected and who is responsible.

It was great to see that Monk still has to fight for his every day existence without the memories that could be of use in the investigation.

Love this series and the writing - looking for to the next book! ( )
  cyderry | Jul 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Anne Perry mines [pun intended] William Monk's permanent memory loss again to endanger him in Revenge in a Cold River, the 22nd book in the series. We get to learn, along with Monk, what he was up to during the California Gold Rush days. Hope his River Police will be impressed.

There's a cold case murder to be solved and a present-day enemy or two to be dealt with. To learn more about the tragic gun runners case, see book 21, Corridors of the Night.

Sir Oliver Rathbone is finally able to work again after the events of book 19, Blind Justice, the only book in the series that I couldn't bring myself to get through. (It suffers from 'the idiot plot,' which is when one or more characters have to act like an idiot or there is no plot.) There's some progress on his current romance front. Let us hope that Ms. Perry will be kinder to him this time. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

I enjoyed learning how young Scuff is progressing in his medical studies. Former mudlark Worm gets in some helpful action, too. (Hey, when Robin grew up enough to become Nightwing, Batman got himself a new Robin.)

Monk is going to need all of his Hester's love and belief in him to help him get through the trap set for him. Of course Oliver gets to help in the courtroom scene.

I dare say that Monk's unremembered past will provide more plot fodder in the future. That could be fun. ( )
  JalenV | Jan 11, 2017 |
Two tales of revenge get merged in this book, threatening to have Monk convicted of murder. Ms. Perry uses the device of a murder trial to expose both. In my view it was a trifle contrived at the end which resulted in me lowering my rating.
Although the trial scenes were suspenseful, they don't represent the way trials are conducted. I guess you need to allow some "poetic license" to Ms. Perry in that regard.
Despite all of that I'd recommend the book to followers of the Monk series because it finally resolves a few loose ends from previous books in the series. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Nov 29, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another entry in Perry's William Monk series, this fast paced read is good for those familiar with the series and the characters, but might be too confusing for new readers. It helps fill in some of the missing details of Monk's past, but the jumping between present day (to the book) and 20 years earlier and a continent away, to the California Gold Rush of 1849, with numerous characters, some in only one time period and some in both, may be confusing for those not already familiar with the major characters. In this tale, Monk is pulled into a case involving his enemy in the Customs service, and a subplot deals with the evolving relationship between Lady York and Oliver Rathbone. As with many of Perry's books, I always find the jump from the arrest to the court case, where the final bits get filled in, a bit disconcerting, and found that to be more true than usual in this book. Nonetheless, a worthy read for Monk fans. ( )
  Christiana5 | Nov 13, 2016 |
To Priyanka Krishnan
William Monk stepped out of the boat and climbed up the stone steps from the river, leaving Hooper to tie the vessel to the bollard and follow him.

"Commander William Monk has learned to live with the fact that he cannot remember the events of his life prior to a horrific carriage accident years ago. But when a ghost from his past, a man he has no recollection of, attempts to frame him for a series of murders, he must rely on the help of his wife Hester and his close friend Oliver Rathbone in order to free himself--from both the charges, and the demons that have haunted him since the accident"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne Perry's book Revenge in a Cold River was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,094,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible