The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of…

The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss (The Wellness Code… (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Dr. Jason Fung (Author)

In this highly readable and provocative book, Dr. Jason Fung sets out an original, robust theory of obesity that provides startling insights into proper nutrition. Flying in the face of the weight-loss recommendations that have failed in the past, this book reveals that obesity is a hormonal, not a caloric imbalance. As he explores the latest in nutritional science, Dr. Fung provides practical, effective advice on weight loss and the treatment of Type 2 diabetes based on sound scientific principles.… (more)
Member:lj_library
Title:The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss (The Wellness Code Book 1)
Authors:Dr. Jason Fung (Author)
Info:Greystone Books (2016), Edition: 1, 296 pages
Collections:Wishlist

The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss by Dr. Jason Fung (2016)

Recently added byprivate library, LorieGreene, MenloPark, rachelreading, ypellegrino, Absolution13, dubie409

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
One of the things I love about the London Review of Books is that when they hate a book they do an amazing job of destroying it, but when they love a book they let it shine by giving you a nice summary of it. The problem with me giving a nice summary of The Obesity Code, however, is that since it is a text about medical facts, a summary would give all of its content away - like a movie spoiler - so you wouldn't have to read it! And read it you should, especially IF you are not knowledgeable about human physiology AND are skeptical about fasting or don't understand how weight loss really works.

The Obesity Code is a highly accessible review of the past 100 years of our understanding and practice of weight management. Dr. Fung explains why calories do not matter, but have appeared to; why the Atkins diet wasn't quite right, but for some time appeared to be; why fasting is often good; and gets into the weeds just enough to explain the difference between good carbs, bad carbs, good fats, bad fats, good proteins and bad proteins, etc - in such a manner that I finished the book with a feeling that for the first time in my life I understood macros and weight loss. What're more, he avoids that style so common among American authors on nutrition where they spend the entire book selling you on the knowledge they are about to reveal to you, without ever explaining anything - and peppering their book with promotion for their specialised line of supplements.

Fung, coming from a country with a public health care system, is persuasive because he is informative - steadily setting out the evidence for a skeptical but curious audience with no prior knowledge. However, if you are not skeptical, this may not be the best book for you. His Complete Guide to Fasting, also published in 2016, half a year later, is both more concise and more detailed - although also not as convincing as it does not seem written for a skeptical audience. As a result of this tone difference, and also as a result that Obesity Code seems to be based on his blog posts accumulated before publication, The Obesity Code can go a little too slow at the beginning and too fast and shallow at the end. That is not a knock against this predominantly WHY book. It is only a suggestion that it has a specific audience. If you are already among the converted then his HOW book, Complete Guide to Fasting may be better for you.

This book has changed my life, and it is not very often that one says such a thing. I am among the converted. If you aren't yet, then YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK :) ( )
  GeorgeHunter | Sep 13, 2020 |
Worked for me. Lost 18 pounds of fat in thirty days with a low-carb, high fat, moderate protein diet in conjunction with intermittent fasting. ( )
  nfulks32 | Jul 17, 2020 |
Heterodox, and hard to argue with. ( )
  Aaron.Cohen | May 28, 2020 |
If you haven't been following the "winds of change" in terms of nutrition advice lately this book will be a great overview of where we are at this current point in time. There are many misconceptions out there in terms of what a healthy diet means and the book uses a dive in biology to explain why they only work short-term (calorie restriction, keto, atkins etc.). It also gives solid advice on making long-term changes to your insulin resistance.

By far the most useful lesson I got from this was to pay more attention to how often I actually eat. I was shocked by my habits once I paid more attention to the intervals I take between snacking on something. They were far, far shorter than I intuitively believed. I recommend this book. ( )
  parzivalTheVirtual | Mar 22, 2020 |
Well researched but not particularly well written. Ultimately, just read the end and you'll get all the information in the fastest way possible. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
This book is dedicated to my beautiful wife, Mina. Thank you for your love and the strength you give me. I could not do it without you, nor would I ever want to.
THE ART OF medicine is quite peculiar. Once in a while, medical treatments become established that don't really work.
The biological parents had very little or nothing to do with raising these children, or teaching them nutritional values or attitudes toward exercise. Yet the tendency toward obesity followed them like ducklings.
Approximately 70 percent of the variance in obesity is familial.
Seventy percent.
Seventy percent of your tendency to gain weight is determined by your parentage. Obesity is overwhelmingly inherited.
However, it is immediately clear that inheritance cannot be the sole factor leading to the obesity epidemic. The incidence of obesity has been relatively stable through the decades. Most of the obesity epidemic materialized within a single generation. Our genes have not changed in that time span.
the root cause of obesity is a complex hormonal imbalance with high blood insulin as its central feature.
The hormonal profile of a baby is influenced by the environment in the mother's body before birth, setting up a tendency for high insulin levels and associated obesity later in life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,446,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible