H.I.V.E.: Higher Institute of Villainous…

H.I.V.E.: Higher Institute of Villainous Education

by Mark Walden

Series: H.I.V.E. (1)

This book was everything I wanted and more. Do you ever find yourself rooting for the villain? I know I sure do. I didn't even have to read a synopsis, by title alone I knew H.I.V.E. was my sort of book. I love reading about the Mafia and gangsters. I love bad boys.
But of course, being me I tore through the book in several hours, hungry for more. I was surprised to read that this is a debut novel. The plot, characters, setting and world building we're all done remarkably well. I can't think of a single bad bad thing to say about this book . Mark Walden is now on my list of authors to pay attention to. ( )
  manka23 | Aug 10, 2017 |
Perfect book for tween boys. It ends with a beginning, so there are more... good thing. Finished in an hour or so, that good! Adventure, glory, pure evil and SCIENCE! This author makes smart cool. ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
I expected a lot more action and adventure from this book written with a male protagonist, Otto. The first two thirds of the book is a little slow, explaining how and why each character has been brought to the island headquarters of H.I.V.E., The Higher Institute of Villainous Education.
The main character, Otto and his friends spend most of the book trying to figure out what made those in charge believe that they would each make good villains. After that, all of the main characters focus their energies on an attempt to escape the island, even though most of them have little to go home for. The real action begins when the teachers and the students of the institute find a common foe that they must learn to fight together.
The characters seem underdeveloped in this story as do their relationships, but that could be because there are several sequels to this book that offer future opportunities for character development. Overall, this book wasn't bad, but I expected more. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 11, 2016 |
A favorite from this year's book battle list. An inescapable school for young criminal masterminds? Check. Out of control plant taking over said school? Check. Escape plans in the works? Check. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
  lkmuir | Dec 11, 2015 |

Mark Waldenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rex, AdamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sarah, for Megan, forever.
Otto woke with a start as the whole world seemed to tip beneath him.
The Italian title for H.I.V.E. appears to be "High School Criminal".

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141693572X, Paperback)

HIGHER INSTITUTE OF VILLAINOUS EDUCATION

Otto Malpense may only be thirteen years old, but so far he has managed to run the orphanage where he lives, and he has come up with a plan clever enough to trick the most powerful man in the country. He is the perfect candidate to become the world's next supervillain.

That is why he ends up at H.I.V.E., handpicked to become a member of the incoming class. The students have been kidnapped and brought to a secluded island inside a seemingly active volcano, where the school has resided for decades. All the kids are elite; they are the most athletic, the most technically advanced, and the smartest in the country. Inside the cavernous marble rooms, floodlit hangars, and steel doors, the students are enrolled in Villainy Studies and Stealth and Evasion 101. But what Otto soon comes to realize is that this is a six-year program, and leaving is not an option.

With the help of his new friends: an athletic martial-arts expert; a world-famous, beautiful diamond thief; and a spunky computer genius -- the only other people who seem to want to leave -- can Otto achieve what has never been done before and break out of H.I.V.E.?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:05 -0400)

Swept away to a hidden academy for training budding evil geniuses, Otto, a brilliant orphan, Wing, a sensitive warrior, Laura, a shy computer specialist, and Shelby, an infamous jewel thief, plot to beat the odds and escape the prison known as H.I.V.E.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,389,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible