dismiss

H.I.V.E.: Higher Institute of Villainous…

H.I.V.E.: Higher Institute of Villainous Education (edition 2007)

by Mark Walden (Author)

Series: H.I.V.E. (1)

Swept away to a hidden academy for training budding evil geniuses, Otto, a brilliant orphan, Wing, a sensitive warrior, Laura, a shy computer specialist, and Shelby, an infamous jewel thief, plot to beat the odds and escape the prison known as H.I.V.E.
Member:Rempala
Title:H.I.V.E.: Higher Institute of Villainous Education
Authors:Mark Walden (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2007), Edition: First Edition, 320 pages
Collections:2015
Rating:*****

H.I.V.E.: Higher Institute of Villainous Education by Mark Walden

I liked the idea, a boarding school for evil geniuses, but the set up was derivative of Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone. Still, that worked, and so does this. I loved the main character's manipulative ways. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This book was everything I wanted and more. Do you ever find yourself rooting for the villain? I know I sure do. I didn't even have to read a synopsis, by title alone I knew H.I.V.E. was my sort of book. I love reading about the Mafia and gangsters. I love bad boys.
But of course, being me I tore through the book in several hours, hungry for more. I was surprised to read that this is a debut novel. The plot, characters, setting and world building we're all done remarkably well. I can't think of a single bad bad thing to say about this book . Mark Walden is now on my list of authors to pay attention to. ( )
  manka23 | Aug 10, 2017 |
Perfect book for tween boys. It ends with a beginning, so there are more... good thing. Finished in an hour or so, that good! Adventure, glory, pure evil and SCIENCE! This author makes smart cool. ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
I expected a lot more action and adventure from this book written with a male protagonist, Otto. The first two thirds of the book is a little slow, explaining how and why each character has been brought to the island headquarters of H.I.V.E., The Higher Institute of Villainous Education.
The main character, Otto and his friends spend most of the book trying to figure out what made those in charge believe that they would each make good villains. After that, all of the main characters focus their energies on an attempt to escape the island, even though most of them have little to go home for. The real action begins when the teachers and the students of the institute find a common foe that they must learn to fight together.
The characters seem underdeveloped in this story as do their relationships, but that could be because there are several sequels to this book that offer future opportunities for character development. Overall, this book wasn't bad, but I expected more. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 11, 2016 |
A favorite from this year's book battle list. An inescapable school for young criminal masterminds? Check. Out of control plant taking over said school? Check. Escape plans in the works? Check. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |

Mark Waldenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rex, AdamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Sarah, for Megan, forever.
Otto woke with a start as the whole world seemed to tip beneath him.
The Italian title for H.I.V.E. appears to be "High School Criminal".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,598,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible