The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son…

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss

by Anderson Cooper, Gloria Vanderbilt

English (24)  Piratical (1)  All (25)
Before reading this book, I knew who Anderson Cooper was, but have never seen him on television. I read this book because my book club chose it. It was certainly an interesting read as Mr. Cooper's mother, Gloria Vanderbilt, has had a life full of dysfunctional relatives and friendships with many famous people. What I liked about the book was that it dealt with Mr. Cooper and Ms. Vanderbilt as real people, and not as the celebrities they are. It's obvious he is the reporter in the family: there is much, much more about his mother than he discloses about himself. I can't decide if the book is really an honest conversation between a mother and son, or whether they embarked on a year-long correspondence with a view to publishing the results. It does seem a bit contrived at times. ( )
  LynnB | Jun 6, 2017 |
Ugh!! Remind me not to ever again read any celebrity memoirs! This was recommended (not enthusiastically, but nevertheless recommended) as a touching conversation between a mother and son. Gloria Vanderbilt is approaching her 90's when she and her son Anderson Cooper commence a series of email conversations touching on the "big" issues of life, love and loss.

For the most part the book focuses on Gloria's life, a lot of it her really early life as "the poor little rich girl," who was the subject of a sensational custody trial in the 1930's. Her teen years and her early 20's as the lover of Howard Hughes and various Hollywood stars is also covered in detail. There is very little about Anderson's life, and some of the material his mother reveals is new to him. For the most part I found the book superficial and artificial.

I was a little creeped out by a mom discussing her sex life with her son (prude--I know). While I think Gloria means to convey that she was insecure, and is just a "regular" person, but with a very sunny outlook on life, somehow, for me, she never overcame the persona of a spoiled, entitled rich person.

I just don't need to read any more of these celebrity tell-alls in the time I have left of my reading life.

2 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | May 25, 2017 |
A year long conversation between Anderson Cooper and his mother, Gloria Vanderbilt. I found it confusing with the family history. I appreciated the different type for mother and for son. Would like t have heard more from Cooper about his growing up. ( )
  LivelyLady | May 13, 2017 |
I usually try to find something good about a book, even if, after spending time reading it, I still cannot find a lot to say .Therefore, in saying little about this book, it reinforces that I don't like it.

Usually, I am kind, but in saying that I don't find a lot of redeeming value, this also indicates how I feel.

I like autobiographies and biographies. Before joining Librarything.com, it was my genre of choice. So, in saying that this book seemed to be incredibly self centered and boring, I remain thinking that I cannot recommend this. ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | Apr 30, 2017 |
I knew little about Gloria Vanderbilt except for the poor little rich girl trial and her jeans. Kudos to Anderson for giving her a platform to talk about her life, unfortunately, that life doesn't do much for me. You've heard the saying "the personal is political?" Well, her personal is personal. In the book she writes several letters to loved ones and they are full of platitudes. Love and family are the most important things in life, etc, etc. She's still, at the age of 91, looking for a man to love her and whom she can love, yet once the romance dies, she seems unable to sustain loyalty. She'd leave one husband to marry another as soon as the divorce was final. Dodo, the most important person in her life for many years, her substitute mother, was left without a second thought when yet a new romance came into her life. Then as Dodo lay dying she destroyed the letter that probably asked for her to visit because she was scared? guilty? She is brave to expose her faults, but did it ever occur to her that there is life outside her superficial fairy tales? ( )
1 vote Citizenjoyce | Apr 22, 2017 |

Anderson Cooperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vanderbilt, Gloriamain authorall editionsconfirmed

A touching and intimate correspondence between Anderson Cooper and his mother, Gloria Vanderbilt, offering timeless wisdom and a revealing glimpse into their lives

Though Anderson Cooper has always considered himself close to his mother, his intensely busy career as a journalist for CNN and CBS affords him little time to spend with her. After she suffers a brief but serious illness at the age of ninety-one, they resolve to change their relationship by beginning a year-long conversation unlike any they had ever had before. The result is a correspondence of surprising honesty and depth in which they discuss their lives, the things that matter to them, and what they still want to learn about each other.

Both a son’s love letter to his mother and an unconventional mom’s life lessons for her grown son, The Rainbow Comes and Goes offers a rare window into their close relationship and fascinating life stories, including their tragedies and triumphs. In these often humorous and moving exchanges, they share their most private thoughts and the hard-earned truths they’ve learned along the way. In their words their distinctive personalities shine through—Anderson’s journalistic outlook on the world is a sharp contrast to his mother’s idealism and unwavering optimism.

An appealing memoir with inspirational advice, The Rainbow Comes and Goes is a beautiful and affectionate celebration of the universal bond between a parent and a child, and a thoughtful reflection on life, reminding us of the precious insight that remains to be shared, no matter our age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 31 Mar 2016 11:24:02 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,687,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible