dismiss

A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear by Atiq…

A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear (2002)

by Atiq Rahimi

Iarhad lives in Kabul in 1979, and the early days of the pro-Soviet coup are about to change his life forever.

A book that got me. Not right from the start, that was strange. I had no idea where I was, who I was or when.
But gradually following the shards of the main character's story, things get clearer and more grim. Until you grasp the bigger (nearly the complete) picture and then the book stops. It left me quite alone, I would have liked to learn what happened, instead of guessing. I've never been a fan of that kind of endings and that still hasn't changed. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 29, 2020 |
Farhad lives in Afghanistan and one night he is late for curfew and he is beat up by guards. Mahnaz finds him and contacts his family so he can be smuggled into Pakistan. I'm not sure I caught all the meaning in this book, not know a lot about Afghanistan. the book is written very disjointed and it's hard to tell what is real and what Farhad is dreaming. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Very intense! Excellent chilling novella/short novel of only 147 pp. set in 1980's Afghanistan. A young student, Farhad, is drunk and out after curfew. Stopped by some soldiers on patrol, he's roughed up very badly then rescued by a young widow, Mahnaz, and taken to her house as he lies injured and bleeding on the ground. Much of the novel consists of his stream-of-consciousness thoughts, trying to reconstruct events in his mind, interspersed with distorted and twisted dreams, nightmares, and memories. He thinks of fleeing the harsh political situation to Pakistan. He begins to feel an infatuation for the woman for which he feels guilty--conservative Muslim men are never supposed to see or be in the company of a woman not their wife or family member. He is breaking a social taboo; the drinking was bad enough. The author's terse and incisive style put me right into Farhad's mind: with his dreams, fears, hallucinations... This is a must-read!! Fortunately, a glossary defined many Muslim, Persian or Afghani terms or place names used in the story. For instance, the "thousand rooms" is the Afghani expression for a labyrinth. The cover of the book displays the carpet in Farhad's family home; this carpet is incidental to the story. ( )
  janerawoof | Aug 14, 2014 |
This book is stream of consciousness of young Afghanistan man enmeshed in a physical and psychological nightmare. The meaning of life and the human experience is explored. ( )
  snash | Nov 23, 2013 |
In Kabul in 1979 Farhad, a 21-year-old university student, is out after curfew to celebrate a friend’s imminent escape to Pakistan. After suffering a vicious beating by soldiers on patrol, a mysterious and brave woman rescues the unconscious Farhad from the sewer. A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear consists of Farhad’s splintered memories and dreams mixed with his brief moments of lucidity as Fahad slowly returns to awareness. A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear is a disturbing and masterful depiction of the harrowing circumstances suffered by both men and women in war-torn Afghanistan. ( )
  gwendolyndawson | Jun 17, 2011 |
Unless sleep is less restless than wakefulness, do not rest!
Shams-e Tabrizi
To my mother and her abandoned dreams
"Fuck you father!"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,565,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible