Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Renegades by Marissa Meyer

Renegades

by Marissa Meyer

I purchased this book from Amazon to read. Actually I purchased this book because I wanted to read Archenemies, so not to irritate Paige or Craig by reading books out of order I had to read this one before reading the second one. Which I am famous for doing because I buy a lot of books because I like the cover. 🤣🤣🤣 All opinions are my own. 🌟🌟🌟🌟 Renegades by Marissa Meyer. I am a superhero fan, well not superhero fan but a supervillian fan. However, they are like the chicken and the egg, you can't have one without the other. This book was right up my alley with a girl that has superhero powers but is anonymous enough she can fool both the villains and the superheroes to make them all believe she is one of them. Truthfully though, Nova has her own motives and her own reasons for hating superheroes. A deep family hatred that is rooted in her past. Her quest for vengeance makes her question does she have what it takes to continue down the path she is on. Review also posted on Instagram @borenbooks, Library Thing, Go Read, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Twitter @jason_stacie and my blog at readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | Feb 9, 2019 |
I'm at a bit of a loss of how to blurb this one. It's a YA superhero/super villain novel that really intelligently tackles some of the questions that superpower narratives have bumped up against repeatedly. There's some fantastically well-written action sequences that work well despite qualms that action really is done best in a graphic medium. Plus the characters are smart, funny, and compelling and I was fascinated by the arcs of both the main leads. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and was definitely leaning towards picking up the second book in the projected trilogy and then I reached the ending and had to put a hold on it immediately. Recommended if you enjoy superhero narratives even a little. ( )
  MickyFine | Jan 15, 2019 |
Every now and then I read a book that reminds me why I love reading, one that propels me to keep reading and turning the pages, eager to know what happens next and ends in a way that leaves me ready to read everything this author has written. Renegades is one of those books. Sure, I did feel like I was reading a YA version of Avengers a few times, but the story is still compelling, particularly since a large portion of the story is told from the perspective of Nova, a villain who goes undercover as a superhero. Overall, fun reading and I can't wait to start the next one. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Dec 28, 2018 |
Rating : 3.5 stars
Review can be found on my blog as well, here: https://thelastbooklyhouse.wordpress.com/2017/11/18/book-review-renegades/

Plot:

Renegades, honestly, isn’t the most difficult story to follow. We have our Good and Evil, superheroes vs. supervillains, as we usually do in a story that follows these kinds of events. In this book, it’s the Renegades vs. the Anarchists (not the most original names but honestly, I didn’t mind it too much).

We have our two main leads, Nova and Adrian. I’m going to be comparing this story line to Romeo and Juliet quite a lot because, well, two people from opposite sides end up falling in love and it causes a lot of issues for the both of them as no one can find out.

The entire story, I was waiting for a certain event to happen. We, as readers, know that Nova is bad and Adrian is good. Now, I’m not going to spoil what happens in the end, but what I was expecting never happened and honestly I’m glad it didn’t. Instead what I got was a twist I didn’t really see coming.

However, the story itself didn’t lend itself to a lot of new things and even some of the dialogues felt like a Marvel or DC movie or comic.

“Nightmare,” said Smokescreen, with a subtle incline of his head. “It’s been a while.”
“You’re about to wish it had been longer.”
***
“Your days of villainy are over, Nightmare.”
It wasn’t entirely disturbing or frustrating. Sometimes, it actually fit the story. Other times though, I felt as if a comic book had been opened and copied line to line.

Characters:

It’s funny that, with a lot of Marissa Meyer’s books, I wish there had been a story on some of the side characters rather than the main characters. It’s not that I hated Nova, or Adrian, but they were generic Young Adult characters and it kind of bugged me.

Nova is our villain with tragic backstory but starts doubting everything she believes in when she infiltrates the Renegades.

Adrian is a charmer, but also a bit of a reckless guy who isn’t sure about the way of the Renegades.

I wasn’t too crazy about these two but they carried the story fine. Some of the side-characters though? I wanted to know more about Phobia, or Hugh Everhart and his husband Simon Westwood. Also Ace Anarchy, I loved hearing about him.

Things I like:

It was full of action
Quite well-paced
The side characters
the ending took me by surprise
Things I don’t like:

it didn’t really feel like anything new
the main character
It felt very long
the characters are so oblivious about who the other person’s “secret identity” is
Who I’d recommend it to:

If you liked The Lunar Chronicles, you will definitetly like this too. If you like superhero stories and don’t mind a little trope here and there, you’ll like this. ( )
  ancientbookbride | Sep 11, 2018 |
Literary merit: Great
Characterization: Great
Recommended: Yes, highly
Level: Middle school-high school

First of all, I loved that Marissa Meyer included a character list in the front of the book. I found the list very helpful because she introduces a lot of characters within the first 150 pages. The Renegades was not as great as the Lunar Chronicles but it was great in its own way.

The book is set in the future where people have developed superpowers. The new superpowers led to crime and violence. Currently, the Renegades are the "good guys" and the Anarchists are the "bad guys." The story is crafted to make you doubt both side's intentions. Meyer's did an excellent job of creating suspense for the reader.

The book was not as action packed as I expected but it laid a great foundation for the second book. ( )
  SWONroyal | Aug 27, 2018 |
For Jeffrey, the first hero I ever had
We were all villains in the beginning.

As she nears her goal of avenging the Renegades, who overthrew the villains to establish order from ruin, Nova grows close to justice-seeking Renegade Adrian, but her allegiance to the villains could destroy them both. The Renegades are human, but with extraordinary abilities. They emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. As champions of justice, they remain a symbol of hope and courage to everyone... except the villains they once overthrew. Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and is on a mission for vengeance. Adrian is a Renegade boy who believes in justice-- and in Nova. But Nova's allegiance is to a villain who has the power to end them both.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,466,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible