Renegades (Renegades (1)) by Marissa Meyer

Renegades (Renegades (1)) (edition 2017)

by Marissa Meyer (Author)

Series: Renegades (1)

A New York Times BestsellerA Winter 2017-2018 Kids' Indie Next List SelectionThe Renegades are a syndicate of prodigies -- humans with extraordinary abilities -- who emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. As champions of justice, they remain a symbol of hope and courage to everyone . . . except the villains they once overthrew.Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and she is on a mission for vengeance. As she gets closer to her target, she meets Adrian, a Renegade boy who believes in justice -- and in Nova. But Nova's allegiance is to the villains who have the power to end them both.… (more)
Member:Marilyn95
Title:Renegades (Renegades (1))
Authors:Marissa Meyer (Author)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2017), Edition: First Edition/First Printing, 576 pages
Rating:*****

Renegades by Marissa Meyer

Recently added byLVC7, Ciscomatic, ayoshina, Hannah03717, private library, lillyshea, dotstan05, Evy10, TichBrewster, Arina40

This book is ok. Not what I expected. It just never rose to be better than meh! But I feel others would enjoy it. I thought it was ok. If I could have given it 2.5 I would have. I will not be going to book 2. Even though they tried to make it better towards the end. Sorry to late. I don't really care much. ( )
  Ciscomatic | Sep 26, 2020 |
"what we do -- what any of us do -- it's just a series of choices"

FORMAT READ: ePub (iBooks) & Audiobook
READ IF: you are just getting into YA fantasy (and like superheroes) and enjoy a typical but interesting in-team friends to lovers lowkey romance
SIMILAR VIBES: The Young Elites, The Darkest Minds

MY BLOG
SUPPORT ME ON KO-FI
*All of my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless states otherwise*
-- NO MAJOR SPOILERS but if you would rather go in without knowing anything I suggest to only read until here --

OVERALL: 3.0
I did not find anything I entirely disliked aside from certain character traits, I just found everything to be unoriginal after having read the number of YA fantasy books that I have read. Which is my fear when reading YA fantasy now. The redeemable aspects of the book was 1. Adrian and 2. the message of the book (even though it's just on the brink) about how one does not need to have a powers to be a hero.

It's a different take on superheroes and I like how everything takes place AFTER the "superheroes" have won. I generally really liked the beginning of the book but it went downhill for me towards the ending.

The most interesting character and the only one I can say is even written well is Adrian. A lot of the other characters felt like they were trying to be grey characters but they still felt very black and white to me. I felt like most of their powers weren't explored enough to their potential. I thought the powers were great but I just felt like there is more that could be done. Which is why I loved Adrian as he was the one of the prodigies I thought were explored the most in terms of abilities. I do love the voice of the whoever was reading Adrian's POVs though
The general plot line was very cliche to me, very predictable even though I thought it was fun. Pure curiousness and whatever what was going on between Adrian and Nova was what kept me going through the whole thing (and probably the second book). I can't help but wish that they focused more on The Anarchists rather than The Renegades (which they did for the first part but started to forget after a point).

And even though I did not like a lot of the characters individually I liked a lot of their relationships. I just did not find the writing style engaging enough and it was enough for me to fully invest myself into them. I do have to say that Nova's relationship with the rest of the Archanists was very touching at the beginning to the middle but it was lost in the middle of the other things going on.

PLOT: ★★☆☆☆
WRITING STYLE: ★★★☆☆
WORLD BUILDING: ★★★☆☆
CHARACTERS: ★★★☆☆
THEMES: ★★★★☆
PACING: ★★★☆☆ ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
This one pains me a lot. I have adored The Lunar Chronicles and even though some people didn't like Meyer's standalone Queen of Hearts book, I loved "Heartless" as well. This one....that's a no from me. I just DNFed this at 27 percent or page 152. When I saw that the book went up to page 566 I just lost any urge to continue on. There are too many characters in this book with multiple names. The lack of development besides the "heroes" and "villains" characterization was sad. After the 100th information dump I threw in the white flag of surrender and decided to move onto another book.

"The Renegades" is Meyer's newest offering to the Young Adult genre. This seems to be a mash up of Justice League, Watchmen, and the Hunger Games. That's a lot of mash-up.

Apparently in this world we have the so-called Renegades (vigilantes) with super powers who ended up ruling Gatlon City. However, the villains (the Anarchists) don't want The Renegades ruling things cause free will or something. I don't get it myself. Things seemed pretty bleak there based on what little of the information dumps I could let sink into my brain.

So what I read so far is there's a secret group of heroes that don't want the Renegades to know about them, The Renegades (now considered the Renegade Council) and the Anarchists. The Anarchists are trying to take out the council. And now there is something called the Trials that they are getting involved in and I tapped the hell out at that point.

There are too many characters with multiple names. I once had a conversation with a friend who was dating a dude with three names. Our conservation went like this:

Me: What do you mean he has three names?

Friend: Well he has his government name, the name he uses at his job, and his undercover name.

Me: What the hell? First, why wouldn't he use his 'government name' at work?

Friend: Well he doesn't care for it.

Me: How is he cashing checks if he's not using the name that is on his social security card?

Friend: Oh you can use a nickname and still get checks cashed it doesn't matter it the names don't match.

Me: Since when???

Friend: Well even with that I don't like the whole undercover name thing, it sounds sketchy.

Me: What do you mean it sounds sketchy? It freaking is! Unless he's Batman he doesn't need an undercover name!

Then this whole conversation turned into us discussing Batman and who is the best Batman, but long story short she dumped the dude because he was going by three names. And when I got to the part of the story when one character was going by three separate names within a single paragraph I was done.

Nova, or Nightmare, or Insomnia (I can't with this mess) was the one who wants to kill The Renegades since she blames them for not saving her family. Yeah, let's not blame the people who sent them to murder her family. It is such a weak motivation I rolled my eyes at her.

Adrian, or Sentinel, or Sketch (shaking head in disgust) is the son of two of the Renegades. The only interesting thing about him is he has two dads. So good for Meyers for showing a family like this. Other than that I don't care.

I can't tell you anything about anyone else, the book so far has mostly focused on Nova and Adrian. Since this is a Young Adult book I am sure they are going to fall in love since Nova is going undercover to compete at the Trials. I just don't have the energy for this book right now.

The writing is not good. I don't know what possessed Meyers to have so much stuff in this first book. Based on what I found, she has the second book (this is a duology) coming out in November. Good luck to her since that is a hard pass from me. I saw a lot of DNFs for this one on Goodreads. Most people just couldn't take the constant information dumps and characters with multiple names.

The flow is not good at all. It felt like I got nowhere yesterday and I read this to the 27 percent mark. I don't know why some people think length equals quality, but it does not.

The setting of this world doesn't even make any sense. Meyer tries to set things up in the beginning with a prologue I laughed my way through, but I still had so many questions. I don't know if finishing the book would clear that up or not, but I refuse to continue reading to find out. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
There's nothing mind-blowing here, but it's a fun, angsty novel touching on issues of trust, responsibility, family, and the fine line between hero and villain that's only a little gratuitously twisty. I can see myself reading the next in the series, probably instead of reading the next title on my TBR list. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 28, 2020 |
it's been eight years since the day of triumph, when ace anarchy was killed. nova is an anarchist, adrian is a renegade. can i make it any more obvious

i didn't expect this book to start after The Big Bad was defeated, but that ended up being one of my favorite things about it. it allowed meyer to explore the societal effects of superheroes, something that superhero content (in the moderate amount i've consumed) isn't usually able to deal with. we've already gone past the crumbling of society. we've passed the dark times. the rebuilding of life and government has already started. i feel like we so rarely get books that take place during This Point, which made me really excited!! it's something i really like to think about, so it's fun to have it discussed in the narrative. like YES let's debate the philosophy of superheroes for a second!!

and the pov characters!! were such good choices for this story. the fact that both nova and adrian have problems with the renegades, but come at it from different perspectives and different ways was so interesting to me. their dynamic was really really good, and i appreciated that it was a slower, steadier build throughout the entire book.

this book just had so many things i loved. it had fast paced action, but lots of slow build friendship and romance, cool down moments where the characters just got to be kids, an incredibly distinct cast of background and side characters who were all so individual, a good dose of gray morality and debate, and an ending that i genuinely did not anticipate which just makes me very very excited to read the sequel! ( )
  bloomingtea | Jun 28, 2020 |

Brzozowsky, KatEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Jeffrey, the first hero I ever had
We were all villains in the beginning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,844,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible