Murder Walks the Plank by Carolyn Hart

Murder Walks the Plank

by Carolyn Hart

I listened to this book. It was okay. The mystery starts when a woman is pushed off a riverboat. She survives but doesn't remember what happened. The Darlings believe she was attacked but the sheriff leans toward the easy answer that the woman jumped or fell accidentally. A wealthy woman dies and the body of an unknown man is found.
  taurus27 | Jul 24, 2018 |
Always a fun series. Great summer reading. ( )
  gail616 | Apr 14, 2018 |
15th book in the "Death on Demand" series. Although these stories are what I call "formula" mysteries (same story, different words), somehow they are still very readable. Annie Darling owns a mystery book store called "Death on Demand". The fanatical mystery readers who frequent her store become like old friends -- some you like better than others. Of course, there is always a murder or two and Annie and her husband are involved in the solving. If you're looking for an easy, enjoyable read, you might like this series. ( )
  kp9949 | Sep 8, 2011 |
I just went to Amazon to see how this book was rated, and there are plenty of five-star ratings and rave reviews. Hmm. I thought it was a pleasant enough book with a fairly good mystery, but I wasn't in the least taken by the main character and her circle of friends, who are gather are an ongoing group in the series. I was actually annoyed by the too-perfect marriage of the main character, Annie Darling, and her husband Max. The closest they seemed to come to any kind of discord was when she insisted an accident wasn't an accident but a murder; and Max disagrees but still does at least half of the investigative work on the case.

The red herrings were plentiful and I didn't find the solution unbelievable, but I just didn't care about any of the characters.

Another somewhat irritating aspect for me was the idea that so many of the characters had such a depth of knowledge of mysteries. I've been reading them all my life, too, and while I recognized the names of perhaps a quarter or a third of the authors mentioned, there were plenty I didn't. In particular, the 'mystery paintings' contest featured in the book described five paintings that represented five books, none of which I've ever heard of. And yet one of the characters in the book unerringly names all five of them without skipping a beat? Not entirely sure I buy that, really.

Oh, well, this is obviously appealing to many readers; I note she has 42 books on Amazon. And a slew of awards. And I'm sure a pile of money. Good for her.
  ejj1955 | Sep 10, 2009 |
Once again Carolyn Hart has created a mystery that didn't let on whodunit until the last few pages. Two women in the community die within hours of each other, both presumed accidental, but our Annie doesn't think that is the case at all. Then another body, someone unknown to the Island, is found shot to death. Are all connected in some way. Somehow our sleuths think so. Watch how Emma, Annie, Max and Henny figure this out with the proverbial anecdotes from Laurel whose strange advice always ends up on the money. ( )
  koalamom | Mar 8, 2009 |
As the ferry pulled away from the dock, a silver-haired man climbed out of his recently waxed red Mustang convertible and made his way slowly to the railing.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060004754, Mass Market Paperback)

Annie Darling's murder mystery cruise in the waters off her not-always-idyllic isle of Broward's Rock is going swimmingly -- until one of the revelers plunges overboard. And despite hubby Max's courageous rescue attempt, faux murder turns all too quickly into real-life death. As the body count rises over the next few days, the popular proprietress of the Death on Demand bookstore begins to suspect that all the victims were murdered most foully, and that they are all connected in some unknown way. But what intrepid crime solver Annie does not realize is that the killer she seeks is more ingeniously efficient than most -- and the puzzle she wishes to unravel is, in reality, a time bomb packed with an explosive mix of arson, assault, kidnapping, robbery ... and homicide, naturally.

One false step and Annie, Max, and their canny cohorts will be blown off Broward's Rock for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:52 -0400)

"Annie Darling, popular proprietress of the Death on Demand bookstore, has done it again! Her murder-mystery cruise in the waters off her not-always-idyllic isle of Broward's Rock is sure to be a roaring success, with every participant dressing up as a favorite fictional sleuth. And sure enough, everything goes swimmingly - until one of the revelers plunges overboard. And despite hubby Max Darling's courageous rescue attempt, faux murder turns all too quickly into real-life death." "Over the next few days, the body count rises and Annie strongly suspects that all the victims were murdered most foully and that they are all connected in some unknown way. The trick now will be to prove it, with the able assistance of investigator-spouse Max, best friend and best customer Henny Brawley, local bestselling superstar Emma Lloyd, and even (surprise!) Annie's normally ditsy mother-in-law, Laurel." "But what the intrepid crime solvers do not realize is that the killer they seek is more ingeniously efficient than most - and the puzzle they wish to solve is, in reality, a time bomb packed with an explosive mix of arson, assault, kidnapping, robbery...and homicide, of course. One false step and Annie and her canny cohorts will be blown off Broward's Rock for good...and they'll sink like stones into the cold, briny deep."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,295,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible