Bedtime in the Southwest by Mona Hodgson

Bedtime in the Southwest

by Mona Hodgson

This picture book is a bedtime story about animals in the southwest. The book poses a question about what Southwest critters do when it’s time for bed. The actions done by the animals would be considered ‘disobedient’ or ‘misbehaving’. The pictures on each page reflect the words on that same page. Although the author never writes the names of the animals on each page, the action is often correlated with the animal in the picture. The ending of the book suggests that maybe the animal lays down without a fuss, and says goodnight to the parent.
Overall, I enjoyed the book. I can see myself reading the book to my children at bedtime. I wish that since there are different types of animals portrayed, that the names of those animals would be mentioned. I did appreciate that the author used symmetrical interaction. Because of this, I think that it is a perfect book for a non-reader, or an early reader.
One classroom extension idea could be to use it during movement time. Using the actions on each page, the teacher could say it, and act it out with the students. This would allow them to cross their midlines, as well as engage more with the book.
This book could also be used with an art activity using colors and styles typically linked with the Southwest. Younger children could make collages, and older children could make a design for a blanket. This would incorporate the bedtime theme, as well as the Southwest theme of the book. ( )
  WhitneyBaughn | Jun 28, 2016 |
This book describes what animals in the southwest might do before they go to bed. Many different animals are introduced in funny ways. Do the animals listen to their parents? Do they jump on their beds? Do they fall asleep? Do they howl at the moon? Good bedtime story, and possible read aloud. ( )
  bsalomon | Aug 28, 2011 |

What do desert babies do when it's time for bed?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Various desert animals have different ways of trying to avoid bedtime.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible