Trial By Fire by Chris Cannon
1121,230,483 (3.83)None
Bryn's hopes for a peaceful new semester at school go up in smoke when someone tries to kill her-again. She's not sure which is scarier, facing the radicals who want to sacrifice her for their cause, or her impending nightmare-of-a-Directorate-arranged marriage to her nemesis, Jaxon. The one bright spot in her life is Valmont, her smoking-hot knight who is assigned to watch over her twenty-four hours a day. Is what she feels for him real, or just a side effect of the dragon-knight bond? At this point, stopping the impending civil war might be easier than figuring out her love life.… (more)

Chris Cannon’s Trial By Fire is another exciting story as the third book in the Going Down in Flames Series. The story takes place after book two, Bridges Burned. Crossbreed red/blue dragon shifter, Bryn McKenna, goes back at school after someone once again tried to kill her. Her knight, Valmont Fonzoli, is assigned to guard her 24/7. Having no one to ask questions of, they are discovering the side effects of the dragon-knight bond. If that is not enough, she is coping with the potential arranged marriage to Jaxon Westgate; something neither of them wants. Plus, there is the looming possibility of a civil war. To say this story has a lot going on is an understatement. This Contemporary dragon shifter novel is suitable for young adults.

Chris Cannon does a fabulous job with her character development. Bryn has gone through a lot since the first book. Being a hybrid in a society full of purebreds is tough enough. Then she is the first dragon in hundreds of years to form a bond with a knight. She is smart and open minded. She is great at negotiating. It often benefits her that she grew up thinking she was human because she looks at things outside the box. I like Valmont. I think it is great that he is not intimidated by the dragons. He would do anything to protect Bryn. I enjoyed how their relationship developed in this story. As much as Jaxon is supposed to be Bryn’s nemesis, I do think the two make a good team in terms of the Directorate. They are both open minded when it comes to doing what is right for the dragons. Jaxon is a worthy alpha that will protect what is his. I love seeing his softer side around, Rhianna. I also appreciated how Bryn’s relationship grew with both of her grandparents.

I enjoyed the plot. It was full of action, mystery, and conspiracies. I love the discovery in the library. That was a fascinating development. We find out some interesting things about the hybrids and dragon history. The first snow day was fun. Overall, the story was well-written and hard to put down. I am looking forward to the next book.

Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Apr 3, 2016 |
I received this free eARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

So, I adored, I LOVED the first two novels in this series. I sucked them up and finished them without taking a breathe it seemed like. But this book?? Yeah, I didn't have the same intense feelings for this novel in the series...

Bryn used to be a badass and she knew what she wanted. Now, she's a timid, rule abiding girl and I really don't care for this new personality she's got going on. And she's so ...meek... now. She's with Valmont now and she's become such a whiner almost. I dunno, for some reason, Bryn got on my nerves a lot during this novel, which is a shame because I actually admired her during the first two novels.

And while I don't need a lot of action to keep me happy in novels, I thought that there would be more in this book because of the previous two. There were a few moments, but not anything like the others. Also, the whole thing with Bryn being in the Blue clan. I know she did it because her grandparents went out of their way to help her, but I didn't think that Bryn would start to become like a Blue...cause they are the biggest snobs I've ever seen!

As much as I complained about this novel, I did enjoy it. It just wasn't up to par compared to the other novels and I was a little bit disappointed with it. I'll probably still stick with the series at least for another novel to see if it will get better, but I hope I am alone in my feelings and that other readers will think it is phenomenal. I'm glad I got a chance to read this early and will look forward to more works by Cannon! ( )
  JeracaFite | Mar 20, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,761,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible