Just Like Home: Como en Mi Tierra by…

Just Like Home: Como en Mi Tierra

by Elizabeth I. Miller

I enjoyed this book for a multitude of reasons. This book emphasizes the idea that even though people come from different places they are really not that different and everyone shares commonalities. For example, “We played many games and laughed a lot. I didn’t want to go inside when the teacher called us. Just like at home.” In this excerpt from the text the main character describes playing with her new friends at recess just like she used to back in her home country. I believe this book would also be a good choice to share with students who are new to their school or community because they can easily identify with the struggles the main character is going through. I also found it interesting that this book is written in English and Spanish. This makes it a great tool for multi language learners in the classroom. It also exposes English only speakers to another language. This book uses repetition to create a pattern throughout the book. The main character will make an observation about her new home in America and then state whether this observation is “just like home” or “not like home.” For example, “On the first day of school, I was really excited. But when I came to class, no one said hello. Not like at home.” ( )
  KerryMcLaughlin | Sep 1, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a great book for a student to read who is coming to the United States from Mexico. This story's plot follows a young girl as she and her family move to the U.S.A.. On every page she compares something to her home, whether it is the colors she sees or the way students in her classroom treat her. At first, the classmates are not very friendly to her, but eventually they invite her to play with them at recess! Moving somewhere new, especially a new county, can be hard but I believe this book could help a students who is going through the same situation. Another thing about this book that I liked is the language. This book is bilingual so it includes English and Spanish text on each page. This is another reason why this book would be great for students who are coming to America from a Spanish speaking country. Finally, this book pushes readers to consider tough ideas. Some people may accidentally treat people who are different from them in a negative way. The main character of this book felt sad and alone when she was excluded by her peers. This book pushes readers to think of how they are treating others, such as the students at school who can not yet speak English very well. By excluding these students and not speaking tot hem at all, they are not able to improve their English and they then don't feel welcome in their community. This book makes readers consider going out of their way to treat others with more respect and kindness. The big idea of this book is to treat others with respect and always try your hardest to be kind. ( )
  kwhite18 | May 10, 2015 |
This was a cute story about a little girl’s trip to the U.S. I liked how simple this story made it for readers to compare the girl’s life in the U.S to her home country. For example, the little girl would make a statement about her new experience in the U.S and compare whether it was or was not like home. The author connects the reader to the experiences the little girl in the story is experiencing.
The story also contains pictures/illustrations that help the author compare the girl’s experiences in the U.S to her life back in her home country. The illustrations help reader to see that if the girl’s experience in the U.S were not like home then how it would be at home. For example, the girl says at her cousin’s house they played inside all day unlike at home and the picture shows that the girl would be outside with her family at home.
The big idea in this story is that an experience in the U.S may be different for everyone. For this young girl, she had to learn a new language just to play on the playground with the other students. Students who were born in the U.S have the privilege of already knowing the English language to communicate with. ( )
  Toconn2 | Apr 6, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a helpful book for young readers. This book is very unique because it is written in English and in Spanish.

Besides the book being bilingual I like the language used in throughout it. After each sentence, the author uses the phrases "just like home" or "not like home." I like that the author does this because this can help the younger readers start reading. With the predictability of the words, children could have more confidence in reading and subconsciously learn how to read the familiar words.

Also, I liked the plot of the book because although there wasn't a problem and solution, the story was about something very relatable. For English Language Learners, this would be very helpful because they would understand how the main character felt coming to country where they couldn't comfortably talk.

The purpose of this book is to assist English Language Learners. If Spanish is their first language, they can read it in Spanish and at the same time learn English by reading the English words. With such a relatable topic, the purpose is to definitely engage and motivate the children to read. ( )
  epark6 | Sep 29, 2014 |
The message of this story is that home is where your heart is. In my opinion this is a great book for children who have moved and/or are moving as well as children eager to learn about other cultures. The book pushes the reader to compare and contrast. Throughout the book the main character does things at her new home in the United States and compares it to her home in Mexico, for example, “Colors everywhere! Red! Green! Blue! Yellow! Purple! Just like home”,” Our cousins took us to their house. We played inside all evening. Not like home.” Even if the reader has never traveled they are getting an insight on another culture. I liked that the book was written in both English and Spanish. It is helpful for those who are English language learners or those who want to learn Spanish. One section of the book said, “We had a big meal anyway to welcome us to the United States. Yum!” Underneath the text it read, “De todas formas, tuvimos una cena de bienvendia a Estodos Unidos. i Delicioso!” The illustrations really enhance the story because there are drawing of people from many different cultures, all living together. In the illustration of the main character going to her American classroom for the first time it shows Caucasian, Asian, and African American students. ( )
  Bwatso12 | Sep 18, 2014 |

A young girl's first sights and experiences in the United States are sometimes familiar "just like home."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,571,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible