The Sheep-Pig by Dick King-Smith

The Sheep-Pig (1983)

by Dick King-Smith

English (25)  French (1)  All languages (26)
lots of fun ( )
  mahallett | Jun 15, 2013 |
A fun and heartwarming story that doesn't talk down to kids. The characters really make this book. Mr. and Mrs. Hoggett are classic children's storybook characters. Babe is funny and sensitive and tells the story that needs told.

I watched the movie right after finishing the book. I figured this would be one that wouldn't need changing; I was surprised at how much was different. Personally, I felt the book captured the relationships and the humor much better. No duck. No cat. No Rex. Just a nice story.

I read this to the kids and they really enjoyed it. And what great reminder to not so easily accept one's limitations. ( )
  chrisblocker | Mar 30, 2013 |
I loved, loved, LOVED this book! I got it because I loved the movie when I was younger and the book brought me back! Babe is an intelligent pig and lucky to have such a cool friend. I even read some parts allowed to my super-serious-all-the-time boyfriend and he got a big kick out of it! ( )
  bereneezypie | Feb 20, 2013 |
I had so much fun reading this to my daughter! It was a wonderful follow-up to our trip to the Soldier Hollow Classic Sheepdog Competition in Midway, Utah. Whimsical and fun story. There is a better-developed relationship between Fly and Babe in the book than in the movie (although I think the movie was a great adaptation of the story). Great to read aloud. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 31, 2012 |
Pig, the runt of the litter was being raised to be a holiday meal. however, Pig had other plans. Adopted by Mama, the sheep dog, Pig learns the ropes and becomes quite a herder himself. Will the farmer see Pig's talent and take him to the competition? That'll do Pig, that'll do!!! ( )
  mdonley | Oct 18, 2012 |

Dick King-Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kneen, MaggieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Babe (1995IMDb)
"What's that Noise?" said Mrs. Hogget, sticking her comfortable round red face out of the kitchen window.
"The Sheep-Pig" and "Babe: The Gallant Pig" are the same story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375829709, Hardcover)

Babe is a sensitive soul, deeply loyal to those who are kind to him. So when he is taken in by Farmer Hogget's sheepdog, Fly, it's only natural that he would want to follow in his foster mum's paw-steps. Even with Babe's considerable handicaps as a sheepdog--namely, that he's a pig--he manages to overcome all with his earnestly polite and soft-spoken ways, proving once again that might doesn't always make right. After saving the sheep from rustlers and wild dogs, Babe convinces Hogget that his idea of becoming a sheep-pig "b'aint so stupid" as it might look. But neither Hogget nor Babe, nor anyone else, could have predicted what follows.

As utterly charming as Charlotte's Web, this book is bound to pluck even the tightest heartstrings. Masterful characterization brings every personality to vibrant life, while Mary Rayner's lively line illustrations only elucidate images Dick King-Smith has already planted in the reader's mind. Herd the whole farmyard together: readers of all ages, ambitions, and antecedents will love this one. --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:43 -0400)

A piglet comes to Farmer Hogget's farm, where he is adopted by an old sheepdog and accomplishes amazing things.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible