The Sheep-Pig by Dick King-Smith

The Sheep-Pig (1983)

by Dick King-Smith

English (29)  French (1)  All languages (30)
A major lesson that I got from this book was to never limit yourself. Babe was a pig was destine to become bacon for the farmer's wife but once the pig started to pick up on a new talent it saved his life. Babe become a pig that was raised by a border collie, who taught him how to heard sheep. The character babe was very easy to love. It was nice to read along and see how he developed. He went through all the stages that a kid can relate to. He had to try to find where he fit in since he was the only pig on the farm, he found this very difficult at first. This is a experience kids can connect with and can help them see that there are not the only ones that may struggle with acceptance. The language is child like and a bit British which is where the author is from, however, an American might find it a bit difficult to get used to. I thought it was interesting to see how the language that babe used changed as he got older. you could tell his conversational voice got more proper. Like in most of Dick's books the illustrations are pencil drawings that are simple and keep the book goes. The thing that I find most interesting is how much personality that can be given to these farm animals through illustrations. I really don't think that illustrators get as much credit as they should. Overall this is a well written book, and became an instant classic. ( )
  KLCLCL15 | Nov 7, 2015 |
Glad it was required: I loved it, and I learned the word "obliged." ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Adorable and very funny. I will have to rewatch the movie (it's been years), but I'm pretty sure it does a good job of capturing the gentle fantasy of this tale. This was a good and, aside from one bit, not at all scary bedtime read. ( )
  bostonian71 | Jul 12, 2015 |
I don't recall the movie, but I have a sense of having watched it - enough so my view of the book may be colored. But I think the book was darling, for early chapter readers who can suspend disbelief readily. My library's edition was printed for the 20th anniversary, and is illustrated. I don't know if other editions have pictures. I liked the illustrations a lot, but I don't know if they're key - I'm just informing you. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
lots of fun ( )
  mahallett | Jun 15, 2013 |

Dick King-Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kneen, MaggieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Babe (1995IMDb)
"What's that Noise?" said Mrs. Hogget, sticking her comfortable round red face out of the kitchen window.
"The Sheep-Pig" and "Babe: The Gallant Pig" are the same story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375829709, Hardcover)

Babe is a sensitive soul, deeply loyal to those who are kind to him. So when he is taken in by Farmer Hogget's sheepdog, Fly, it's only natural that he would want to follow in his foster mum's paw-steps. Even with Babe's considerable handicaps as a sheepdog--namely, that he's a pig--he manages to overcome all with his earnestly polite and soft-spoken ways, proving once again that might doesn't always make right. After saving the sheep from rustlers and wild dogs, Babe convinces Hogget that his idea of becoming a sheep-pig "b'aint so stupid" as it might look. But neither Hogget nor Babe, nor anyone else, could have predicted what follows.

As utterly charming as Charlotte's Web, this book is bound to pluck even the tightest heartstrings. Masterful characterization brings every personality to vibrant life, while Mary Rayner's lively line illustrations only elucidate images Dick King-Smith has already planted in the reader's mind. Herd the whole farmyard together: readers of all ages, ambitions, and antecedents will love this one. --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

A piglet comes to Farmer Hogget's farm, where he is adopted by an old sheepdog and accomplishes amazing things.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,891,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible